Jack points? [Archive] - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

: Jack points?

appletonrc
08-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Does anyone know the accepted jack points on the GTO? I found images on my Grand Prix that had the standard points on the sides, but also had one on a cross member in front of the engine and one between the rear wheels.

Anything for the GTO? It saves time when putting the car on stands to rotate tires if you only have to jack twice.

Thanks

Orbit Orange
08-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Check the jacking instructions. I believe they are on the spare tire cover or in your owners manual. Once you see where the points are get underneath your Goat and you'll see what they are talking about. I can't explain it better than that. Just check the jacking instructions and crawl under the car and you'll see where they are at. :)

appletonrc
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks. I don't remember see jack points in the manual, but now that you mention it, I remember seeing something by the spare. I'll give it a look.

inkwell101
08-12-2005, 10:39 PM
My basic guideline is: Jack fast and jack often

kjohnst
08-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Jack points according to 2005 Helms manual and the way I do it in my driveway with a hydraulic floor jack:

1. To lift the front end, I drive the front wheels onto one 1-1/2" layer of 2x4's, because the car is too low for my jack.
2. Center the jack on the longitudinal frame member in front of the rack & pinion housing and behind the oil pan shield plate - this is an "Optional Floor Jack Lifting Location" per the manual. I always have a piece of 2x4 on the business part of the jack. There's just enough room, about 4", between the rack/pinion and shield plate. Jack 'er up.
3. From the front "Spare Tire Service Jack Lifting Locations", go inboard to the frame rails - these two spots are "Preferred Frame Contact Lifting and Jacking Locations" per the manual. Put your jack stands here and let 'er down on the jack stands. No point loads here, please, because the frame rails are made of thin guage sheet and look like they will deform easily.
4. To lift the rear, find the "differential carrier assembly mount" immediately rear of the differential and jack it up - this spot is an "Optional Floor Jack Lifting Location" per the manual. The "differential carrier assembly mount" is bolted to the body with 4 bolts and looks to be made of rubber-like material.
5. From the rear "Spare Tire Service Jack Lifting Locations", go inboard each side to the center of a heavy stamping that mounts the frontward end of the control arm - these two spots are "Preferred Frame Contact Lifting and Jacking Locations" per the manual. Put your jack stands here and let 'er down on the jack stands.

All this maybe applies to the 2004 also. $135 + $6.95 for shipping is steep for the Helms, but I'm always glad I bought the manuals.

appletonrc
09-02-2005, 12:32 PM
That's what I'm talking about! Thanks. I might have to get the manual. Someone had images of the jack points on my old Grand Prix, and assumed there were floor jack points for the GTO too. I looked under and saw the frame member up front, and also saw the location on near the diff, but wanted to make sure before jacking away. When rotating my tires, I used to jack in the center and put my jack stands at the spare tire jacking points, so I could get the whole car in the air.

Thanks again... And I will probably get that manual as well.