NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission/Driveline Tech (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Skip shift?/Cags removal. (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3611)

legionaire 01-24-2005 11:14 AM

Could some one explian what this product does for the GTO's and what it's benefits are?

gto_in_nc 01-24-2005 01:13 PM

What it does is prevent a 1-2 shift under a very narrow (but frequently touched) set of conditions - engine at temp, speed in certain range, throttle less than some %. Details are in the manual. The "benefit" is that it helped GM get better efficiency in EPA testing & avoided the gas-guzzler tax for the M6, IIRC.

thunderdan 01-24-2005 05:26 PM

I believe that this feature is known as "computer aided gear selection" or "CAGS" for short. a buddy of mine has a z06 and it is the first thing he changed with a solonoid block-off. does anybody know where to find this for a GTO or will one for a vette work?

Nocturn 01-24-2005 08:13 PM

They all should fit, but they are only 20 bucks so it doesn't matter what car you get one for.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

forestdweller 01-24-2005 08:21 PM

This question gets asked about once a month. Perhaps it would be good to add this to a GTO FAQ section of the site.

Nocturn 01-24-2005 09:13 PM

How about I make it sticky...saves us the trouble of linking to the FAQ.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

bfitzpa1 05-08-2005 11:35 AM

I had a 2004 GTO with a Tremec and bought a Cags and everything was cool. I traded my 2004 for a 2005 with a 6 spd Tremec and bought the same Cags and the cables don't fit. What gives?

MK-Scorpion 05-21-2005 11:44 PM

:unsure: I haven't found these conditions posted on the forum. So, since I just read the skip shift section of the owners manual, here's what the '05 book says.

1. Engine coolant temperature greater than 196F or 76C.
2. Speed between 15 to 19 mph or 24 to 31 km/h.
3. 21% throttle or less.

That's it. B)

mldavis 05-22-2005 07:30 AM

In practice, this has become less of a nuisance than it used to be with my 96 TransAm. The speed window is narrower, and they have built in some other computer-recognized conditions that prevent you from catching 4th when you need a bit less lug in normal driving conditions.

Having said that, there are a few things you can do to eliminate it altogether without the expense of screwing with the transmission.

1) If you're not in a hurry, shift early out of 1st and 2nd will be there. I do this on a normal, flat take off in city traffic.
2) If you are pushing it just a bit (normal driving), wait for the shift light to go out before upshifting to 2nd
3) You can always eliminate the CAGS by a quick double clutch
4) You can avoid the CAGS resetting by not coming to a COMPLETE stop.

In my normal daily drive, I never engage CAGS with one exception: when turning a corner and heading up a hill, I sometimes forget the speed window and catch 4th. I've since modified my habits and hold 1st until I get straightened out and rev past the shift light.

MK-Scorpion 05-22-2005 06:03 PM

This is my first experience with CAGS, and as a newb I've actually found it somewhat helpful. So far, it has been a handy tool to keep me from running up someone's backside in traffic or lagging too far behind when accelerating from a stop. Having said that, I should also mention that I've more than doubled my HP & tripled the torque from my last vehicle so major adjustments to my driving habits have been in order. I've also found that following the shift points described in the manual eliminates it also, but its not nearly as fun.

volacious05gto 02-09-2006 04:12 PM

I installed a skip shift eliminator yesterday from SLP performance since in traffic i kept hitting the 1-->4 shift thing and just would throw me off but so far no problems easy to install and havent had the skip shift thus far.

Spyral 08-21-2006 03:42 PM

I programmed mine out with HP Tuners.

mechanic58 08-21-2006 03:58 PM

Mine was programmed out also, only with a Predator tune.

go-go gto 10-06-2006 08:27 AM

skip shift

if the manual said engine temp higher then 196f then would the 160f thermostat fix the skip shift problem?

LA_Phantom 10-06-2006 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go-go gto
if the manual said engine temp higher then 196f then would the 160f thermostat fix the skip shift problem?

No. A 160 F thermostat simply opens at a lower temperature. During driving, the engine temperature is expected to be higher than 160 F.

As far as CAGS removal is concerned, if you plan on getting the car tuned in the future (highly recommended), I would have the tuner turn CAGS off. This would be in lieu of purchasing the hardware for $20-$30.

-K