Bye-bye Tranny - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Transmission/Driveline Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
cowboyili

Send a message via AIM to cowboyili
Bye-bye Tranny

I suppose I need to start looking into transmission coolers. Yesterday I was going 150 on the expressway (first time, not something I normally do) and for some reason this morning my tranny gradually stopped gripping. Luckily for me, I have a warranty on the transmission for 3 years - but sucks that I can't use the car. Wont even kick slightly when you switch from Park to Reverse, or any other gear for that matter. I'm assuming the high speed built up some major heat and caused the clutch or gear or something to fail. Just thought I'd post about this, maybe someone has some input or had a similar experience.

Going to miss my baby for the week. =(

Anyone have any input on transmission coolers for the 04 GTOs (A4)?
cowboyili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Sorry about the news. B&M makes one I believe. Heard of several people running them. Sounds like you might have had some issues before the high speed run. I've got a Derale tranny pan with the cooling tubes and extra capacity (no cooler) and although I don't have any guages to monitor trans fluid temp, I haven't had any trans issues yet (knock on wood). Let us know what they find and hope it's back on the road soon.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
scot254

I guess just take it in, but for a unstalled daily car you shouldn't need a tranny cooler. It won't hurt though, Like Orbit said B&M is probably the most popular, make sure though it doesn't void whatever special 3 year warranty you have on it if you plan to use the warranty in the future.
Idle Clip:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Corvette - Torch Red - A6-- Cam, Headers, Exhaust
419/415

2013 Ford Focus - Grey Metallic
scot254 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
cowboyili

Send a message via AIM to cowboyili
Cool, thanks for the input guys. Despite the problem with the tranny, I am amazed at how smooth these cars feel at high speeds. It feels like you're going 50 or 60 mph at 120mph+. I put new tires on 2 months ago, I know that made a huge difference. But, at 60k miles - I'm amazed how well this car rides.

Again, thanks for your input. Will check it out and post a reply once I hear from the trans shop.
cowboyili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement