help - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > LSx Engine Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Gto4Ever

help

Hello my name is Vincent. I want to make my LS2 Gto much faster, these are the upgrades im considering, i need your advice....228/230 114 comp cam, 3.73 rear end (what would this add?), exhaust, and intake....with these upgrades what am i looking at power/torque wise gains? What do you suggest to get my car into mid to low 12's..
Gto4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
mechanic58
Banned

Sounds like a good list, except if you're going to spend the money, you might as well go with a 3.91 gear instead of the 3.73. You'll just have to trust me on that one...but I do speak the truth!
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
go-go gto

who makes gears for the gto? i cant find s***! ihave been told that the car is to new. i want 4.10s
go-go gto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-go gto
who makes gears for the gto? i cant find s***! ihave been told that the car is to new. i want 4.10s
I think that you can get the gears from Diff Technics or Midwest Power and Development, who sells the Diff Technic gears. I checked both Maryland Speed and LS1 Speed, but did not find the gears listed there.

As far as I know, 4.10's are not available for the GTO's rear end. The best you can do is 3.91's.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
go-go gto

thanks i will look into it
go-go gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
mechanic58
Banned

No one makes gears for them. Only the OEM. There are only 5 ratios available for the M80. Check this link: http://www.spiceraxle.com.au/products.htm

If you want a ratio other than what's available for the M80 from the OEM, you'll have to retrofit a different axle in. Nothing will interchange with it. I have researched this DEEPLY. A talented machinest MIGHT be able to get the guts out of a Dana 36 to fit inside the M80's housing. The pinion dimensions are identical. Where the problem lies is with the M80's ring gear...it's a *******, only has 9 bolts in it. I'll also add that swapping in a Ford 8.8" IRS is a relatively easy job. There are a couple people developing this swap as we speak. "EDC" on LS1gto.com is one of them. There are gaggles of ratios available for the 8.8 and they are MUCH cheaper to boot.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
Gto4Ever

Why not go with a 232/234 - .595/.598 OR A 238/240 - .605/.609 w/ 1.7 rocker??? Also , would 3.73 or 3.91 ring/pinion lower the hp on my car or would it just make my car much faster at lower end? And also, would i be safe to go with a 238/240 - .605/.609 cam or is that too much for my car to handle?
Gto4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #8
mechanic58
Banned

"lowering horsepower" via gear ratio isn't really a truthful statement. Putting a lower gear in a car only tricks a chassis dyno. It does NOT effectively lower your hp. The lower the gear, the more mechanical advantage the engine has on the axle. In a car that is as heavy as the GTO, there will be a marked difference in the seat of the pants feel between a 3.73 and a 3.91. If you're going to spend money on gears, you'll be wasting it if you buy a 3.73. Guaranteed. The only way a 3.73 MIGHT be a better choice is if your car is an automatic, even then it really depends on what you intend to use it for. If you're going to be driving it everyday and it's an auto, then yes, I'd say put a 3.73 in it. If it's just a toy for you, like mine is, or if it's a 6-speed....then you need to put a 3.91 in it.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic58
"lowering horsepower" via gear ratio isn't really a truthful statement. Putting a lower gear in a car only tricks a chassis dyno. It does NOT effectively lower your hp. The lower the gear, the more mechanical advantage the engine has on the axle. In a car that is as heavy as the GTO, there will be a marked difference in the seat of the pants feel between a 3.73 and a 3.91. If you're going to spend money on gears, you'll be wasting it if you buy a 3.73. Guaranteed. The only way a 3.73 MIGHT be a better choice is if your car is an automatic, even then it really depends on what you intend to use it for. If you're going to be driving it everyday and it's an auto, then yes, I'd say put a 3.73 in it. If it's just a toy for you, like mine is, or if it's a 6-speed....then you need to put a 3.91 in it.
Mechanic is right, it doesn't technically lower your HP, it just adjust your rate of acceleration, if you want more low end acceleration or top end speed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:21 PM   #10
svede1212

a cam will help you toward your goals but i wouldn't consider one without LTs. the rest of the exhaust isn't going to gain you nearly as much as long tube headers. a tune would be essential with either but you really need sticky drag radials to even begin to get down in the 12s. i've seen supercharged ones "only" making 12.6 on street tires. you have to be able to put power to the ground. the power/torque dyno thing is only an indicator and unfortunately one that too many people hang their hats on. most numbers are just bragging rights as they are PEAK numbers and don't reflect the power that's developed thru the whole RPM range. that's where you are when you're accelerating.
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement