Attempting to Trade My 04 for an 06 - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > New and Prospective Owner Forum

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
tripowergto

Attempting to Trade My 04 for an 06

I'm headed out to spend the entire day haggling for an 06 GTO and get a baseline on trade offers for my 04. I intend to hit at least a dozen Pontiac dealers in my surrounding area including Green Brook, NJ who claims to have purchased the final 50 GTO's from GM. I think that should actually read 'we wanted more Solstice's so we begrudingly purchased the final bunch of GTO's'

Under $28K with decent trade allowance is my goal. Wish me luck!!
tripowergto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
LA_Phantom

Let us know how your Black Friday GTO shopping goes. Best of luck!

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
tripowergto

On Black Friday I spent the entire day visiting dealerships throughout PA & NJ, amassing 200 comfortable miles on the 04 on a beautiful, warm sunny day. Best Red Tag price I saw was $25,890 for a pair of M6's but once we started serious negotiations with my trade the #'s got funny quickly as they tried to deduct my trade allowance from MSRP. Yeah right!! I don't believe that Red Tag price is truly attainable there unless purchasing with cash. They called to follow up today and I told them there's alot of GTO's available nearby and I'll only purchase at bottom dollar price. While it may sound promising I don't see that deal going through at that dealership.

The friendly dealer that has the exact car I want isn't offering Red Tag deals at all even though they have 24 GTO's in stock. They seem to be waiting to see if Dec incentives increase, otherwise I think they'll be sitting on alot of goats through the long snowy winter.

Some dealers with only a car or two are sticking to over $30K pricing, some even with Red Tag applied. Others seem to be starting to panic and willing to lose $ to move the final 06's off their lots before years end. I confirmed that a few dealers recently received many GTO's from GM's inventory in exchange for additional Solstice & Hummer allotments. I bet they paid less per GTO unit then normal. Those dealers are very willing to deal if you press hard enough. Some believe GM will stop all support of the GTO at the beginning of Jan, although there will still likely be a final GM payout at some point. Also many seem to believe(hope?) GM will increase incentives early-mid Dec for a final all out but short-lived blowout.

My best overall offer with my 04 trade started at Red Tag of $27,571 with $17,500 trade allowance and negotiated roughly $2K more off after a few hours of wrangling but I didn't commit as they don't have the exact combo I want. I told them I'm going to wait to see if Dec's incentives increase before I commit, especailly if I don't get my preferred combo. They have my contact info and spent 4 hours trying to work a deal so it will be interesting to see if they call. Can't wait til Dec!!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
salbracht

So they will give you $17,500 for your trade. Mind if I ask what you paid for your '04?

What is the big thing the '06 has that you want such that you would trade your '04? Extra 50hp in the LS2? I'm guessing it would be much cheaper to upgrade the LS1 with an exhaust, supercharger, etc. Just a thought.
salbracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
tripowergto

Salbracht: you won't believe it, but it's true. I paid $17,300 for a new 15 mile 04 on 1/3/05 after all incentives and GM card bonus. Just looking to upgrade my warranty, like the true split duals and hood scoops and 50HP more doesn't hurt... so why not??
Old 11-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
salbracht

I know they were giving some amazing deals to try and get rid of the '04s. Considering that, it sounds like a great deal to me.
salbracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #7
tripowergto

04/06 Trade Split Under $10K

Star Pontiac, Easton PA 12/29/06

Purchased:
06 Phantom Black Metallic/Black M6 w/18's w/16 Miles MSRP $33,180

Traded:
04 Pulse Red M6 w/17's 23.7K miles purchased new 1/3/05 MSRP $33,485

After 3 visits and roughly 12 total hours spent at this particuliar dealer, this was the absolute best deal I could make with my trade. $9800 + my 04 which still had a full year remaining on the factory warranty and new tires, but had a crack in the lower front facia. We then had $2525 accrued on the old blue GM credit card bringing the final split to $7275 which is all I had to pay tax on in PA. I still owed $10798 on my 04 so my total financed out the door after all fees is $19236 @ 5.9%. I added GAP insurance so my payment is $355/month for 63 months.

Trading complicated this process conciderably! While I'm very pleased with my final deal I could not get the #'s others were paying outright as it would just knock my trade value below $15K. In essence I paid $27,800 w/18's with $18K for my trade before GM card rebate. Green Brook may have done a bit better w/17's but I just couldn't live with 5 holes in my front facia on my brand new GTO from the stupid plate holder. Same thing at LaSorsa. If I didn't have to trade I would have flown to Ann Arbor, paid $24K - $2525 GM card for an INCREDIBLE price of $21,475 before TTL!!

I purchased my 04 during the massive rebate/GM card bonus sale in 12/04. I didn't even need a new car but the INSANE deals got me into a 15 mile GTO for $17,300 before TTL. I essentially drove this brand new performance car for 2 years for FREE!!(Thanks GM!!) All the while my $304 payment was accruing equity toward an 06 at 2.9%. There will NEVER be a deal like that again and there shouldn't be! Now I have a new car again with all the improvements at a decent payment and hopefully a little better resale. Only time will tell but it all hardly matters as the GTO is far and away the very BEST GM car I've ever owned. GOOD LUCK to all and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

-Bryan
Black '90 McLaren Turbo Grand Prix
Black '70 GTO 400 Stonecrusher 4 speed
Red '65 GTO 389 Auto Convertible
Old 01-02-2007, 01:28 AM   #8
formula79
Administrator

Congrats...I am sure you will not foget it.
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement