Rolling fenders..... - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Appearence/Ground Effects/Wheels

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Rafman60

Rolling fenders.....

Is it true that the fender cannot be rolled very much? I want to put 275s on with some black rims. I heard you have to actually cut that inside lip off.
Rafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
anmracing

You may want to do a search on this one. There should be a lot of info about rolling the fenders. If you do, find someone who has done it before so they don't crack the paint. Usually a specialty shop that does tires and wheel can do that kind of work.
anmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
bookemdano

rear wheel trim.

hey rafman60, hows it going man.
i cut my rear wheel lip. i used a reciprocating saw.
make sure you use a metal cutting blade, a small one.
tape the area you want to cut, i used blue painters tape
and marked the area off. if you go the grinding way, you
are going to be there for a long time. because the wheel
lip is two ply steel. and hard as hell to grind. believe me i tried.

Last edited by bookemdano; 10-05-2007 at 10:03 PM.
bookemdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #4
bookemdano

Oh! and wile your there, clean up the under side of the GOAT. i used a brush and some black rust - oleum paint to get my rotors painted. i also painted anything that was black. lol... have fun,,,,, eat a big mac before you start. no, just kidding,lol. it's like cutting through butter.
bookemdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Rafman60

Thank man, Im on my way to bigger tires in no time.
Rafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
cncmasterofor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafman60
Is it true that the fender cannot be rolled very much? I want to put 275s on with some black rims. I heard you have to actually cut that inside lip off.
I know several people that have rolled their fenders. And put 275's on the back. I myself will be rolling them in the spring.
Weather you cut or roll, there will be lots of elbow grease. If you do decide to roll them, check out Eastwood rollers. Or have a good shop do it. Don't do the bat thing. And make sure you seal the inside of the lip when your done.
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
LA_Phantom

I am definitely of the opinion that cutting the inner fender lip, instead of grinding and/or rolling, is the way to go. I could be wrong, but I feel that I stand a greater chance of screwing up the paint if I try to take the rolling route. While I understand the reason for wanting to modify the inner lips of the rear fenders to get more rubber out back, there is always the other option where you actually find a wheel with an offset of approximately 52mm. This will eliminate the need to work the rear fenders. The problem is finding a wheel that you actually like that has the aforementioned offset. There was a time when one could get their hands on a nice set of ROH Drift R wheels that, in my opinion, looked good...and with the 9" width could support a 275 series tire without having to modify the fenders.

Whatever is decided, best of luck...especially if you have to do something with the rear fender lips.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
mondain98

hey, this is my first post here and i dont actually own a goat yet, but my comments on rolling:

i own a toyota corolla and had my fenders rolled just to fit 205's in the rear without rubbing. they used an eastwood roller AND heat guns on the paint at the lip. this softens the paint just enough to not crack during rolling. came out perfect.

most performance tire shops will use this method, but ask and make sure. my shop happened to do it right in front of me.
mondain98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement