Exhaust from head to tail, advice? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Exhaust Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
MissGTO

Question Exhaust from head to tail, advice?

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie! lol Anyway... I had a question about an exhaust system on my GTO. I want to do a full exhaust system from engine to tail on my GTO but I'm confused on which route to go. I'm stuck between Borla, Corsa and Flowmaster. LT's - Kooks, DynaTech's or Hedman's. Throttle body, intake, etc etc Anyway, I'm not sure what goes best with everything else. SO....... saying all that... I'd appreciate any advice on what to do. BTW it's an '05 GTO 6.0
MissGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
LA_Phantom

I personally can recommend Kooks long tube headers and Magnaflow catback.

As far as the throttle body body is concerned, the '05 GTO already has a 90 mm. If you wanted to spend the money, you could have it ported and polished and pick up a little extra umph.

I would not spend the money on an intake manifold (i.e., FAST90) until after a heads/cam swap, after which you should see more benefit.

If you are looking into cold air induction, you would probably be better off making one yourself. I do have a K&N Air Charger that I would recommend, not as a CAI, but rather as a means to improve fuel economy.

BTW: Welcome to the forums.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
MissGTO

I wish the sound on my computer was working so I could listen to some diff gto exhaust systems. It would help much more. BTW.... if anyone could share their opinion on which exhaust sounds better, (deepest, loudest, etc) I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help LA Phantom!

Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGTO
I wish the sound on my computer was working so I could listen to some diff gto exhaust systems. It would help much more. BTW.... if anyone could share their opinion on which exhaust sounds better, (deepest, loudest, etc) I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help LA Phantom!
Let me think (now we're in trouble)...My Magnaflow system is relatively quiet at idle. I think that a Flowmaster system has a pretty good rumble. If you want loud, SLP's LoudMouth I and II are pretty loud...as the name would imply. From what I have read, the LoudMouth I is more raspy than the LoudMouth II. Corsa and Borla make some nice catback systems, but are a bit overpriced for my tastes. Actually, it seems that the prices for catbacks that will fit the GTO, even Magnaflow, have gone up in price to such an extent that I might have to second guess making a purchase. Overall, the stock catback on an '05/'06 are pretty good in my opinion. There was only a small crimp on the passenger-side pipe when the stock catback was removed from my goat. As I am sure that you are aware, it's all about disposable income and preference when it comes to a catback for the GTO.

-K

|
|
Old 09-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
MissGTO

Well thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to end up just buying the borla or flowmaster mufflers and have my car guy do his own pipes on it. Cheaper...
Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Well thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to end up just buying the borla or flowmaster mufflers and have my car guy do his own pipes on it. Cheaper...
Out of curiosity, will your car guy use stainless steel (304L) for the pipes?

-K

|
|
Old 09-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
svede1212

a couple of things. first i got just an aluminized system for my catless back. i would only insist and be willing to pay for stainless if i was driving it in the winter and planned on keeping it for a long time. second, here are my spintech sound clips

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97626

it screams at WOT.

i'd get LTs first. they change the sound and volume quite a bit by themselves and then decide if you want more or a different sound. Get them coated or get SLPs which are already coated. coating will cost ~$250. it will keep the engine bay much cooler and give you more power in the summer. then go get it tuned. you'll gain 25-30 HP with LTs and a tune. The exhaust is mainly a sound thing and will net little power on a mostly stock motor
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212
it screams at WOT.
Svede, your car sounds mean! As weird as it sounds, it game me goose bumps. The only bad thing about a car that sounds so good is that it screams to the po-po that you are coming.

-K

|
|
Old 11-01-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
EVLGTO

get your sound fixed MISSGTO. Here is a video clip of the all stainless SLP headers and LM1 catback exhaust.

http://media.putfile.com/06-GTO-SLP-SYSTEM

Last edited by EVLGTO; 11-01-2006 at 11:03 AM.
EVLGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
Wretched 6.0

Send a message via AIM to Wretched 6.0
Do you want the car to just sound better, or do you want the power?

If you want the power I wouldn't have pipes custom made unless that person is Mandrel Bending them, which I doubt.

The Magnaflow is a bit Exotic sounding, but makes great power

The Flowmasters sound good, but drone at cruise, and don't make as much power. But they do sound very nice.

Corsas are a bit louder than the Magnaflow

Headers, Kooks, Period.
Question is Cats or Catless, Either way you will need a tune.

Contact Marylandspeed.com for the best pricing.
Comfort - Sirius Sportster5
Handling - Completely PEDDERIZED Suspension

Wretched 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
MissGTO

It's been awhile since I've been on but thanks to those who gave me input. I just recently found this clip on youtube.com and have been amazed with it ever since. I'm actually going to call the guy 2morrow. Check it out and let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H5JWkf9EXKM
Old 03-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Check it out and let me know what you guys think.
It certainly makes it a lot easier than getting on your hands and knees and trying to get a wrench on hot exhaust bolts. I can see that happening at a stop light..."hey, hold on a sec, while I...vroooom"...there goes your race. With the electric cutouts, imagine the looks on the faces of people next to you in traffic when you open them up.

-K

Disclaimer: Never would I condone street racing in any fashion. Kids, do not try this at home. The stunts seen here were performed by trained professionals in a controlled environment.

|
|

Last edited by LA_Phantom; 03-06-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
gto n 442

the problem with cutouts is they are extremely loud.that video doesnt even begin to demonstrate how loud it truely is. also the exhaust has a tendency to find its way right into the cabin and stinks the car up very quickly. also one more thing to consider is cars are designed with backpressure in mind .if theres not enough backpressure in the pipes then you will lose alot of your incoming charge during the valve lap. not to mention in some cases you can burn your exhaust valve and or coke up the valve seat. exhaust cutouts are designed for street and strip cars and i wouldnt recomend them on a stock engine unless you know the long term ramifications of them. However the electric cutouts can be purchased through the big high performance warehouses fairly cheap and they are a neat thing for cars suited for them .
gto n 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
LS2weber

Send a message via Yahoo to LS2weber
Now I understand that a cat back system is ok on the backpressure and will not burn an exhaust?
LS2weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #15
gto n 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2weber
Now I understand that a cat back system is ok on the backpressure and will not burn an exhaust?
thats right the change in backpressure in that type of exhaust upgrade is so small theres basically very little change . cat back upgrades on the gto are typically done for exhaust note change.
gto n 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement