Holy nightmare Batman! - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Exhaust Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
BoiseGoatOwner

Holy nightmare Batman!

Lets start out with the facts: there is no way on Earth that you can install a set of Kooks headers on an 05 GTO only doing what the install guide says to do. Fact: It does sound badass after you get em on though!
I got all my goodies on Friday the 25th and called a buddy over to help me with the install. We figured we would install the drivers side first since that seemed to be the hard part( little did I know it was only the beginning of a three day ordeal that would take me through the widest range of emotions I have ever had to deal with and I was a gunner on a HWMMV for a year in Iraq! ). Now, I am going to argue that in some aspects of the install having the car on a lift would have been better but overall you need to be able to get at the top of the engine bay more often than not. So with my car on four jack stands it was just how it was going to get done.
It says in the install guide from Kooks and I quote " You only need to lower the rack approximately one inch ", <-----you lying, motherless w*#&es! Maybe if you wanna beat the headers in with a sledge hammer and miracle the steering shaft around the one and four and two and three opening. So two in the morning came and we called it a night, beaten down and holy pissed off I spent another hour on the net trying to find a guide to the install or at least how others had done it. Saturday was a bust, my friend who was helping me had to go to a wedding and the combined car knowledge of my others friends wouldn't even get you hired at a Jiffy Lube. So in an effort to calm my nerves and at least see some progress I installed the axle-back exhaust. I have to say it looks friggin' sweet. The four inch tips stick out just far enough to see the Kooks logo and really set off the back end. Early Sunday morning my mechanically inclined friend was ready to start again and we dove right in. We came to the conclusion that in order to get the headers down into place we would have to remove the power steering lines keeping the rack from dropping the more than one friggin' inch they say is all you need. There was just no other way we could see them getting in there. It Worked! The headers practically fell into place and I think a tear fell from my eye, it was either that or steering fluid.
Now once that was done we fought getting the steering shaft aligned with the wheels and aligned with the steering wheel and ended up removing a screw that held the power steering lines in place. We then gently bent the power steering lines into the proper position to screw back into the rack. After loosing a couple nuts to the black hole that is the collector on the headers we got the drivers side buttoned up.
The passenger side went in very easily but not if you followed the wisdom of the Kooks guys. They say that there is nothing to remove, lift, move or anything to get the passenger side on. LIARS!!! We removed the engine mount bolts and jacked up that side just like the drivers side and they went in perfectly.
The rest went on without to much hassle, I did shave a good hunk of meat off my hand putting the catted mids on but nothing was going to ruin my mood, that beast was gonna roar tonight! So with everything plugged in and ready to go I torched her off and have been all smiles since.
I will do my best to get pics, a sound clip and dyno numbers. I have to thank and shamelessly plug Maryland Speed for letting me be the first one to buy and install the new Afterburner axle-back exhaust and for sending me that kickass shirt, on the back it has a picture of the Willwood GTO and says " Australian for you lose ".
New Era Performance intake : B&M short throw : Kooks headers : Kooks Afterburner exhaust : Custom x-pipe and mid section from Boise Muffler : Depo tail lights and a custom tune from Performance Solutions using the HP tuner software.
BoiseGoatOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Wow, sorry for the ordeal. I've heard other stories as your own and this is exactly what has me gun-shy of LT's. Glad it worked out in the end. Yes we'd love pics or clips. And yes MarylandSpeed is the KING of customer service. Branden will bend over backwards for the customer.

Enjoy!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Sticks n Stones

Thanks for the info Boise! I just ordered the cheapo (but hopefully just as good) PaceSetter LT headers and Spintech cat back exhaust from MarylandSpeed. I messed up though and didn't realize that the midpipes were not cat'ed. Will the computer freak out???? I also ordered the SLP Predator which says it can stop the check engine light from popping on from a 02 tripping (says from using high flow cats, but I assume they also mean 'no cats' but legally cant claim that).

What are you guys doing about the 02 sensors when you run No Cats??????? I thought the new OBD government computer cr*polla kept us modders from doing stuff like no cats and long tube headers! I'm now officially in the New Age Muscle Scene so can you guys fill me in? PM or do it here, but I need the current info! My experience stopped with OBD I .... and.... actually I'm not even sure if we are still on OBD2 or 3 or???
Sticks n Stones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
jday240

I just installed Pacesetter LT's and catless mids Saturday. I also used a SLP Predator to tune after. If you use the 455 tune it will disable the rear O2 sensors. I still got a check engine light in ref to the rear sensors. I will let you know what I find out. Do you plan on installing them yourself? If so, I can give you a few hints that will make it easier.
jday240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
BoiseGoatOwner

My O2 sensor codes pop on all the time but I think it is because of what jday240 says about the Predator tuner. My dyno guy used my tuner but he made a custom tune with it and not the box tune. So I'm sure that is why my codes throw all the time. It doesn't bother me and when I have to get it emission tested and the codes are popped I can clear them out with the tuner.
New Era Performance intake : B&M short throw : Kooks headers : Kooks Afterburner exhaust : Custom x-pipe and mid section from Boise Muffler : Depo tail lights and a custom tune from Performance Solutions using the HP tuner software.
BoiseGoatOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
cncmasterofor

^ You can modify his tune and turn off the rear O2 senors.
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
svede1212

I don't have pictures but I've put on a couple of sets of LTs. The second time was easier because I realized there's no short cut and just went at what needed to be done. The only "easy" way is to put headers in while you have the heads off. You could throw them in from across the room then. I strongly advise you DO NOT bend the PS lines. Disconnect them in place and then unbolt the rack and drop it. It is much, much easier to align the lines again when you go to put them back on.

Go:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SD tune - HPT w/LC-1 - SLP LTs - FTI SS HT Cam - Stiffy - SLP UD - 243 Heads - Custom Exhaust - NW 102 TB - FAST 102 - 3.91s w/Spring Kit - DiffTech DS - Fjord 42# Green Tops - Diamond Stg 3 clutch

Handling: GMM Rip Shift - Harrop Cover - Koni's - Hotchkis - Lovells springs - SuperPro - Energy Susp - Pedders - '05 Brakes - 1" widened rear wheels
Show: Tints 55% Fronts, 15% Rear & Rear Sides - '06 Black Tails
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 09:51 AM   #8
FaraHilde

Thanks for sharing your experience! Installing LTs can be challenging, but your advice on avoiding shortcuts and taking the time to properly disconnect and reassemble parts is invaluable. Taking the time to do it right pays off in the long run.
FaraHilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement