GTO Fuel Smell = Rusted Tank - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > 2004 GTO Specific General Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
somethingelse

GTO Fuel Smell = Rusted Tank

In enjoying my Goat daily since July 2004, I am finding some things ahead of others on this model. I did not expect a rusted out fuel tank in this day and age however.

It started with a fuel smell in the interior, that appeared stronger in the trunk. I didn't see anything reaching the ground, so I expected a bad seal or something from my pump install years ago. In pulling it out, I found the tank had rusted, allowing fuel to seep through the metal.

It appears that debris and water can enter the tank containment enclosure from underneath where the fuel line access is. Not a biggie for a coated tank - except that I am finding that vibration has removed the coating to bare metal in areas along the bottom of the tank.

These tanks are very expensive, so here is a link that shows how to remove and protect or replace it. It is well worth the effort if you actually enjoy your Goat daily like I do.

http://www.mycarfling.com/#/Event/In...f-7fdd89abee16

Kim
06 IBM / A4
STILL Stock
somethingelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Dalesteyn

Well that is an absolutely a great idea..if the same thing happens with my ride..i'd definitely go for this..thanks for posting..that might be of great help in the future.
Dalesteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement