NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/index.php)
-   NewAgeGTO Lounge (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why did you buy a Goat? (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3568)

wineldr 01-18-2005 03:42 PM

When someone asks you why you bought a GTO, what's your story?

My answer always is, I have been looking for a rear drive, V8 powered, reasonably priced 4 seat car that I would be proud to drive. I would have preferred to have gotten a Vette, but have to wait until at least my son gets his license, so I don't need a back seat.

gto_in_nc 01-18-2005 03:58 PM

My story has been posted here several times but it is fairly short. I liked the looks of the new Bonneville GXP and drove through the local dealer's lot one day in late March of 2004, just out of curiosity - to see if they had a GXP sitting there. No GXPs but a couple of GTOs. I hadn't given any consideration to one because I was thinking of a replacement for my 2000 Bonnie SLE "family car" and because I no interest in either a mullet-mobile (like a T/A, for instance) or anything that seemed to make people grow gold chains (like a C3-5 'Vette.) What I saw, though, was something very different - something very understated and "covert". While I was peeking in the driver's window, "my salesman" came out with keys in hand. I looked inside and he had me start the engine. He offered me a test drive but I declined.

I came back the next day for a test drive. I came back the day after that with a pen and signed on the dotted line.

My wife quickly pointed out that I was one week past my 40th birthday...

wfsppl6spd 01-18-2005 07:09 PM

Mainly because I couldent fit in cobra.
Chris

TheJizzer 01-18-2005 08:50 PM

Ahhhh my GTO story....

I originally wanted the GTO but because the Dealers in my area where adding on 5-10K in mark-ups, And siad Screw you if you are GMS we do not care, Literally. I bought the Grand Prix GTP (which I got My GMS + rebates)....

Anyway one night while out at dinner my wife said the GTO has some heavy rebates and is the car I wanted...

So we went to the dealer and left with a Torrid Red A4 GTO in place of my White GP Comp-G.

I really liked the Comp-G but the Goat is a way better and more refined vehicle.

There is a lot more to the story but I will not bore you all :D

In A nutshell... the car was bought for the V8 (that has loads of power), RWD and Refinement that was needed for a family. Yes I said Family!

jetix 01-18-2005 11:45 PM

Just got sick of a boring ride. Have 2000 GMC 4x4 extended cab SLT. Nice but it's a boat. My other ride is a 2002 Cavilier 5 speed that I bought for my daughter. She got a DUI & I got the car back after it was trashed. I one day took my truck in for the recall on the tailgate cables & a salesman asked if I wanted to drive a GTO? They had 4 parked in front of the the store, I said no! Well he pulled up in one & said hop in, I did. Needless to say after the ride & then drive I went UHHHHH WOW. I could not justify a new car so I left. Then I saw the '05 with 400HP & said that's what I'll get. Well the deal with my GM card rebate was so good that one day, 12-20-04, I left work at noon & said I'm going to buy a car, I did. Torrid Red M6 on black at a price too good to resist!!!!!!! I'm a happy camper! Now for the mods to come? I'll need some help deciding! My first car was a '65 GTO 4 speed. It was tired but cool. The '04 is an awesome car. The autowriters can have there dime a dozen Mustangs. I'll keep my GTO or maybe see what the next GTO's look like in '07 or '08. :D

jimshep 01-19-2005 07:01 AM

I drove a 92 T/A convertible. After over 12 years and 100k miles I was ready for a new car. Since the car was still fun to drive and running well, I was just waiting for a good deal on a V8 rear-wheel drive convertible (primarily a 2002 T/A convertible). I test drove a GTO during the summer when I happened to be at a dealer. I really loved the drive, but for $32k it wasn't a great deal and still wanted a convertible. The GMAC/GM Card incentives overcame my initial requirement for a convertible.

When I first found out about the incentives, I thought I would wait as close to the end of the year to get the best deal. Big mistake! Once the word got out, all of the M6 GTOs in the state started selling like hotcakes. Instead of selling at near invoice like just before Christmas, they started to demand sticker. :angry: I found some dealers away from the city that would still sell at invoice, but they had already sold all of their GTOs and were not able to arrange any dealers trades within their 200 mile limit. Finally, after I had given up hope, on the Friday before the new year, one of the dealers I had walked out on called and said they would meet my price. Unfortunately, the car I wanted had been sold before I got there to sign the paperwork. It was going to be a dealer trade and the other dealer sold it for more profit. :jumpon: My dealer found another one, but it had a red interior. Preferring conservative styles, I initially balked at the thought of a red interior and almost walked out (for the third time from this dealer). But the dealer assured me that I would like it once I saw it (of course) and that I could back out at no cost if I didn't like it. Well I love the red interior! It makes the black interior look so plain now.

The GTO is so much nicer than the 2002 T/A verts I had been considering. It is a true sleeper, both in style and driveability. Every day I drive the GTO, I love it more and more. Plus the larger back seats are so much more comfortable for the kids, that it is now my kiddie carrier (The Montana has not gotten many miles on it this month). Come summer I might regret not having a convertible anymore, but currently I doubt it. Plus there should be some more choices for a V8 convertible when my 24 month lease is up; maybe a 2007 GTO/Camaro(hopefully they'll be available in a vert), Mustang, M3, or whatever else may be available.

GTODRAGON 01-19-2005 09:10 AM

My story is That I'm a GTO fanatic. I'v liked GTOs since i knew what they were. I loved the power the look. But I couldn't aford one and my parents hated them. So When I had my own money I looked for an old 1 to buy. But when I herd they were coming out with a new GTO I went to the web site and I instantly fell in lovce. So I went over to the dealer about 4 times and asked them if they had 1 they said no. Then the 5th time they said " Ya we got 1 it's out infront" SO I went and looked I loved it. Went up to the guy and said " I'll take it." He aske d if i wanted to talk spacifics I said no I'll sign whatever papers just give it to me. I drove it off the lot. :woot: B) :woot: B)

wineldr 01-19-2005 10:11 AM

Just to add to my story, I had started calling dealers in November of 03, who all told me they were coming in shortly. I said the first to call me with a sticker price deal (how sad is that now) will sell it. A dealer in W Caldwell NJ was the first to call in early February 04. He had an A4, but I wanted the stick. He found another one in South Jersey, asked if I wanted it, Black on Black M6. I said if you can have it today, I'll buy it. He drove 2 hours, picked it up at the other dealer, I drove it home that night.

I have 19k on it and it still rides and runs like it did the day I picked it up. Truly the nicest, most fun car of the 14 cars I've owned.

mario04gto 01-19-2005 12:29 PM

I've always owned Ford Products. My wife purchased an 04 SuperCharged Monte Carlo. I liked the way the car handled, although my lightning could kick it's a$$. I looked into a chevy sports car and seeing that the corvette was over my budget I looked at the GTO. I had never owned a sports car much less a manual. I test drove it and fell in love with the response of the engine and control. I knew that it may not be as unique as the lightning, but my juices were flowing. I traded in the lightning, and now drive my pulse red goat. By the way, I still kick my wife's cars a$$.

GTO Heaven is where you'll find me!

derf 01-19-2005 02:21 PM

I loved the Monaro since it first came out. I was even thinking of importing one (or a Commodore if I couldn't find a left hand drive Monaro). Then I heard they were going to use it as the next GTO. So I signed up and bought one. :D

nervousdog 01-20-2005 08:29 AM

I've been wanting a fun, powerful car for a few years now. You know, like a grown-up toy. :D I've had mostly smaller cars for the last 10 years and they are fine as a daily driver for work and errands. I just always wanted a leisure car like a Camaro SS or a Cobra, but wasn't really in a position to get one until the last few years.

I also love a good deal. Whenever the rebates or bonuses start getting big I like to price out new cars to see if I can get one cheap. I saved over $11,000 on my Vibe GT with the rebates, GM Card bonuses, GMS pricing, and trade-in. When I priced out a GTO I couldn't believe the deals. My wife didn't really want a third car but she couldn't resist the great deal we got on a 2 year lease for the GTO.

Zero4 01-20-2005 11:28 AM

I needed something to get me by till that 427 Judge comes out in 07 :D

1964GTO 01-20-2005 02:31 PM

The GTO has always been my favorite car from the moment i saw them, and since i first rolled my uncles 66 out of the driveway back in the day( that was fun). I always wanted one and was able to buy a beautiful 64 GTO convertible and a 65 GTO convertible. When i heard the new one was coming out i had mixed feelings on it when i first saw it at the auto show. It eventually grew on me and i truley feel it lives up to the GTO legacy and is deserving of the name. When my car went off lease in the fall i sold it and got something more fun. Its the best performing car ive ever owned( even though im still partial to the old goats)

SkiPopeye36 01-20-2005 09:43 PM

Total spur of the moment thing. I have always liked Pontiacs, and when the GTO came out I was itching just to get a test drive. Well time went past and since I have a company car, I didnt really see the need for another car since I am trying to save up for a house. Well that all went to the ****per one day when I was running low on gas and decided to just get off at the next exit somewhere in Maryland and find a gas station. Pulled into the closest station off of the highway and what do you know....a Pontiac dealer right across the street with about 10 GTO's sitting in the front of the lot. I decided to walk over and just "look"....well about 2 hours later I walked away with the papers for a IBM/Black M6 and havent stopped smiling since then..... :D

TWB 01-21-2005 06:56 AM

Although I knew the '04 GTO had arrived last year, I wasn't really interested at first. The wife was in love with our '00 TA 'vert m6, but it was closing in on 90k mi & so I started nosing around various dealerships to see what all was out there. At first I was looking only at flop-tops as we'd grown to really enjoy ours (CA has a lot of sunshine). Not a lot out there under $40k that was of interest so we expanded our looking. We drove a G35 which we liked a lot. I'd only seen a couple of GTO's out on the road & it hadn't crossed my mind yet as a possiblility. I drove everything from a Magnum to the SSR to a 300C to a 350Z. Then I visited the local Pontiac dealer we bought the TA from & he asked me if I'd driven the GTO yet. He had one Pulse Red A4 left so I took it for a spin. Wellllll, I said I was now interested, but I wanted to try an m6. I located one in the next town & as soon as I left the lot I knew I had to have one! I finally located an Impulse Blue m6 in another town nearby & snagged it immediately! I'm in love (& so is my wife)! :wub: