NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 GTO Specific General Tech (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Predator installed (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6022)

Orbit Orange 06-10-2006 10:29 AM

Predator installed

Well I installed the canned Predator tune today and took it out for a quick spin to get some first impressions. I'll be taking it out shortly to get some G-Tech runs in to see if has improved my times or not.

First impressions:

1. First thing I noticed is at startup. Engine "lopes" and shakes a little more. I should have figured that, but I LIKE IT. :D

2. Midrange seems to have a little more kick to it. Haven't driven it enough to tell about low and high rpms.

3. From a 60mph roll I went WOT, A4 kicked down into 2nd and I actually got a 2-3 shift chirp. :D That's the first time that's happened. And it's a hot and muggy day here already, in cool air and a cooler road I may expect a little more.

Now I've got to go out and get some G-Tech times as well as use the real time monitoring features to make sure I'm not getting knock.

I'll let you all know what I find out. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

mechanic58 06-10-2006 04:07 PM

Cool...how easy was it to use? I am curious about that as well.

Orbit Orange 06-10-2006 04:28 PM

Very easy to use. It walks you right through it. I haven't even messed around with the shift pressures/points and shift times yet. And I'm diggin' the 2-3 chirp I get now. (Hey throw us A4 owners a bone). I'm also very excited about the real time data, it's not like a full blown program like HP Tuners with the laptop and all, but I do like to see the IAT's, ECT's and Knock readings. In fact I just cruised through town today to get used to the real time data function and saw my IAT's jump up to 125 degrees a couple of times. It's about 95 degrees here today, hot muggy air is a b!tch. I'll let all know when I get some more info. SOTP dyno is not telling me much today as I said because the air is so d@mn worthless today. I'll be checking the forecast for the next cool front. Probably October ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

LA_Phantom 06-10-2006 04:56 PM

It seems that you have experienced a performance boost. I can't wait to read about the comparison to your baseline runs. Does the Predator log A/F? I would be curious to know what you had before the Predator tune. I guess I am curious to know how conservative the stock tune is.

-K

gto n 442 06-10-2006 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orbit Orange
Very easy to use. It walks you right through it. I haven't even messed around with the shift pressures/points and shift times yet. And I'm diggin' the 2-3 chirp I get now. (Hey throw us A4 owners a bone). I'm also very excited about the real time data, it's not like a full blown program like HP Tuners with the laptop and all, but I do like to see the IAT's, ECT's and Knock readings. In fact I just cruised through town today to get used to the real time data function and saw my IAT's jump up to 125 degrees a couple of times. It's about 95 degrees here today, hot muggy air is a b!tch. I'll let all know when I get some more info. SOTP dyno is not telling me much today as I said because the air is so d@mn worthless today. I'll be checking the forecast for the next cool front. Probably October ;)

well it should be cooling down tomorrow for ya. the temps dropped to 77f today here in east nebraska so id say you may have a window of oppotunity sunday.

Orbit Orange 06-11-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

well it should be cooling down tomorrow for ya. the temps dropped to 77f today here in east nebraska so id say you may have a window of oppotunity sunday.
Well it did cool down, but with the cooler air came the rain and soaked roads. :( Hopefully I can get out this week in some cooler air.

Quote:

Does the Predator log A/F? I would be curious to know what you had before the Predator tune. I guess I am curious to know how conservative the stock tune is.
I don't think so unless I'm looking at the wrong things, I'll try to list the parameters it measure in real-time.

mechanic58 06-11-2006 11:12 PM

you guys can download the Predator's user manual in PDF format for free, from the diablosport website. Might answer a lot of questions.

Orbit Orange 06-12-2006 01:31 PM

Well I did get 3 runs in this morning in the cooler air. (G-Tech) Air temp was down to about 70 this morning, much better than the 90 or so the other day when I tried to get some baseline runs before my Predator install. I noticed the IAT's read right at 80 degrees for my runs instead of 100 for the runs in the heat.

Todays results.

1st run: Embarrasing, I roasted the tires off a BT of about 1500 rpm. Makes me think the Predator has gotten rid of the torque management down low, it wasn't this bad/good before I installed the program.

2nd run: 13.51 @ 109.6, much better launch, but still had wheelspin

3rd run: 13.42 @ 110.8, nailed this launch with a BT @ 1250 rpms, it hooked and went, probably because the tires were warmed up by now. This is my 2nd fastest run on the G-Tech and bested a pre-Predator tune time of 13.48.

My only concern at this time is my trap speeds. (I know the G-Tech is way off on traps but you can still compare the speeds run to run.) Before the tune I recorded a 113.1 and 114.2 traps. After the tune I'm getting 108.6, 109.6 and 110.8. These are 3 to 4 mph off. I'm wondering if the canned Predator tune is freeing up my HP/TQ down low and in the mid range over the high rpm.

I still haven't messed around with shift parameters yet or any other tuning. I am going to reinstall the original tune and see if the trap speeds go back up. The thing is I ran a better time with the canned tune than without it. Sure wish I had a dyno to see what the deal is.

I'm also going to prep it next time like I would at a track. (Drop the rear tire pressures, lose the spare/jack and a bunch of other odds and ends, etc.) I'll see if I can't drop my times on the G-Tech. Keep y'all posted if you're interested. :)

LA_Phantom 06-12-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orbit Orange
Keep y'all posted if you're interested.

I am definitely interested. I was pulling for you to drop into the 12s.

-K

Orbit Orange 06-12-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

I am definitely interested. I was pulling for you to drop into the 12s.
I wish! :)

Maybe headers and an underdrive pulley and I could be flirting. Of course these aren't true track runs either. Just have to hunt some Rustang GT's down now. ;)

mechanic58 06-16-2006 08:28 PM

Got my Predator this week and installed the "Tune" today. I hadn't driven the car in so long, it's hard to tell if it made a marked difference. lol...HOWEVER, the elimination of the CAGS made it WELL worth it. lol. Now all I gotta do is figure out how I'm going to lower my final drive ratio. I could easily just buy a 3.91 and pay 3 times what they're worth (compared to the average set of gears) or I could wait til this top secret 8.8" ford IRS retrofit becomes public knowledge....because THEN I could get a 4.30 like I want.

mechanic58 06-16-2006 08:29 PM

Note: I already HAVE an 8.8" IRS Ford rearend, laying under the bench in my garage. lol.

LA_Phantom 06-16-2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanic58
Got my Predator this week and installed the "Tune" today. I hadn't driven the car in so long, it's hard to tell if it made a marked difference.

Would you recommend the Predator as being worth the money if one were to pay retail ($399.99)?

-K

mechanic58 06-17-2006 10:01 AM

I think so. But mainly because it allows you to recalibrate your speedo, if you wanna swap gears. You can disable several OBDII codes, so you can go without cats, etc. I got mine used. I only paid $180 for it. I'd probably be reluctant to pay $400 for one though. lol. Look around, you can pick them up much cheaper. Oh...btw....the '05 hood that I bought on ebay arrived destroyed. Looked like it got dropped off the truck, edgewise...from about 900' feet. Didn't accept it.

Orbit Orange 06-21-2006 08:53 PM

Just to update, no runs recently due to the Amazon jungle heat here. But I have removed torque management and bumped up shift pressures and lowered shift times by a hair. In fact I'm thinking of bumping them closer to the max to get some snap/bang shifts. I'm not sure I'll be brave enough, don't want to grenade the tranny yet, but we'll see.

Soon as I get some G-Tech times in a little cooler air I'll post them up. Cool fronts are few and far between this time of year around my area. :(