NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum

Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/index.php)
-   Exhaust Tech (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   JBA midpipe question? (https://www.newagegto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7568)

Orbit Orange 06-13-2008 12:33 PM

JBA midpipe question?

Well I just got my JBA catted midpipes and I'm planning on installing them soon. Looks to be pretty straightforward but there were no installation instructions included. So I can figure out where everything goes except these two small reducer pieces that neck down from 2.5 to 2.25 inches. I don't know where these would go. I already have a SLP LM1 exhaust that runs 2.5 inches, so I figure I don't need these pieces to hook to the catback. Are they needed for the exhaust manifold to midpipe connection? Anyone done this install before? I've shot an e-mail to both JBA and GravanaTuning from where I bought them but no reply yet. Checked the JBA site and NO instructions. I'll post up a pick if it would help anyone answer my question. Thoughts?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

cncmasterofor 06-13-2008 07:00 PM

I believe they are for the stock manifolds. If you have their headers you don't need them. I didn't use/need them.

mechanic58 06-13-2008 10:20 PM

lol...it really couldn't be that hard to figure out, could it?

Shoulda seen what *I* was doing today....spent the day putting together one of them goofy-assed sheet metal storage buildings.... a 10 x 14 one at that. You wanna talk about a lotta pieces you can't figure out where they go....and a bag of screws big enough to use as a wheel chock. My hands are numb now.

Orbit Orange 06-14-2008 08:03 AM

Thanks for the tip cnc. I've done a little searching and they are for the stock manifold to JBA midpipe connection. They slide inside the midpipe and I see that some people use a little high temp RTV to hold them in place. I would think that torquing down the pipes to the manifolds would hold them in place securely but I guess if it gets rid of any chance of rattling inside the pipe I'll try it. Install looks pretty straightforward with the exception on squeezing my hand up to unbolt the driver side stock manifold from the stock midpipes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Orbit Orange 06-20-2008 12:53 PM

Well I'm taking a break for lunch and I'm halfway done. Stock midpipes are off. 02 sensors don't want to come out so I went to get some PB Blaster and a 02 sensor socket. Hope they come out after lunch. Try to get them installed this afternoon.

UPDATE EDIT:

OK they are in. 02 sensors on the driver midpipe were a bear to get off. Everything went together pretty easily, just had to take my time. The driver side mids to manifold is the tightest clearancwise and took the longest. No leaks yet (knock on wood).

Impressions:

It's louder of course. At idle and part throttle to 2K it is about the same with a little more volume. On heavy or WOT it is louder with I guess some raspiness to it. Might take a while to get used to. Drone is still there from 2K to 2.5K revs, so whoever says the resonators cause drone on 04's is wrong. It sounds a little more "truckish" now, I'm not sure I'm digging that yet. It has also thrown an 02 sensor code twice already. I can clear it with my Predator, but if it does it every drive, it will get old fast. So much for JBA's claim that it wont affect sensor codes. I'll post up a sound clip if anyone wants one. :)

cncmasterofor 07-04-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orbit Orange
It has also thrown an 02 sensor code twice already. I can clear it with my Predator, but if it does it every drive, it will get old fast. So much for JBA's claim that it wont affect sensor codes. I'll post up a sound clip if anyone wants one. :)

You have to use the Predator tune or a custom tune with the sensors turned off. Or else the light will come back on in a few days.

Orbit Orange 07-04-2008 02:51 PM

Yep it keeps coming back on and I keep turning it off. I need to dive into the tuning part of my Predator and see if I can shut the 02 sensors off. I hope mine has that capability. I'll see soon. :)

Orbit Orange 07-08-2008 10:51 PM

I shut the rear 02 sensors off and problem is solved for now. :)

cncmasterofor 07-12-2008 01:33 AM

;) ;) ;) ;)

pas_04GTO 02-01-2009 01:23 PM

Sound clip

It's louder of course. At idle and part throttle to 2K it is about the same with a little more volume. On heavy or WOT it is louder with I guess some raspiness to it. Might take a while to get used to. Drone is still there from 2K to 2.5K revs, so whoever says the resonators cause drone on 04's is wrong. It sounds a little more "truckish" now, I'm not sure I'm digging that yet. It has also thrown an 02 sensor code twice already. I can clear it with my Predator, but if it does it every drive, it will get old fast. So much for JBA's claim that it wont affect sensor codes. I'll post up a sound clip if anyone wants one. :)[/QUOTE]

I also have slp lm1 and i was deciding on getting either mid pipes or shorty headers. It would be awesome if you could post a sound clip of what it sounds like now.
Thanks.

Orbit Orange 02-07-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

I also have slp lm1 and i was deciding on getting either mid pipes or shorty headers. It would be awesome if you could post a sound clip of what it sounds like now.
Thanks.
I'll link to another thread.

https://www.newagegto.com/forums/show...highlight=clip

Post #3 to hear LM1 with JBA catted mids. Don't have any driveby clips yet.

fireeagle 04-09-2017 05:55 AM

Good tips, they helped me too

Farwa 06-18-2021 12:00 PM

Good tips:)