How do these things breathe? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Induction Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
sicvic

How do these things breathe?

It appears that these things inhale thru the tiny crack between the bottom front of the hood and the top of the headlight assembly. Can this be right? I know it's a high pressure area and all, but I mean really. Someone needs to come up with a ram air system for these things. I have my doubts about the K&N filter, if it takes in hot underhood air.
sicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
svede1212

thanl you for noticing. it seems nobody else can see that. they also pull air from some holes in the fender but ALL of the "C"AIs get air from the same place as the stocker and it isn't cool. for now the only good intake is a DIY. the others are a $250-$350 bigger filter
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
mechanic58
Banned

I took a 5" hole saw and cut a hole in my hood over in that corner and I have an elbow stickin up out of it. HAS to be worth at least 15hp. I can really feel it above 120mph. ;-) lol.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Although a cold air intake will not probably give you any colder air, what it can offer you is a lesser restriction of that air and that can be a benefit over the stock airbox. Greater flow will get you greater HP.

I won't even get Nocturn started on the purported benefits of "ram air" either. Svede has a nice do it yourself intake setup. He can probably link you to his step by step.

I would venture to say most CAI's probably flow better over the stock airbox even with a K&N panel filter. It won't net you much now but look at it as a supporting mod for future ones, (headers, exhaust, heads and cam).

Now if we could just get svede to start manufacturing IAT sensors with an OEM style to replace our slow reacting thermistors in the stock IAT sensor.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
andyx181x

the only way i see a ram air system would work to its fullest, if the throttle body was mounted again to the top of the air manifold so its directly connected to the ram scoops
andyx181x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
Nocturn

*must resist urge to chime in*

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
svede1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic58
I took a 5" hole saw and cut a hole in my hood over in that corner and I have an elbow stickin up out of it. HAS to be worth at least 15hp. I can really feel it above 120mph. ;-) lol.
wow, sounds awesome. got pictures?
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #8
Spyral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit Orange
Now if we could just get svede to start manufacturing IAT sensors with an OEM style to replace our slow reacting thermistors in the stock IAT sensor.
I'm no expert here, but have you heard of the "Omega" mod? Replacing the thermistor in the IAT itself to a faster acting one (just as you said)? From what I heard it is not all that difficult.
Spyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 12:27 AM   #9
SallyRay

Liking the conversation.
Its very great how you people are dissecting things

Last edited by SallyRay; 01-22-2022 at 03:55 PM.
SallyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement