Steering wheel shake - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > 2004 GTO Specific General Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
surfinjoe

Unhappy Steering wheel shake

I have an 2004 GTO A4 and I am getting a bad steering wheel shake from 60 mph +. I am also getting un-even tire wear on the front tires. It looks like the car may be toe'ed in. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
surfinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
cncmasterofor

Take to a shop and check your alignment.
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Ditto

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
GT O yea

Shake and Bake!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinjoe
I have an 2004 GTO A4 and I am getting a bad steering wheel shake from 60 mph +. I am also getting un-even tire wear on the front tires. It looks like the car may be toe'ed in. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
I heard of uneven wear on the rear, do to the Euro style chamber, but the fronts are even keeled. I had a little head shake when I first bought mine, took it down got the tires balanced and the head shake went away.
GT O yea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
asktk

alignment or wheel balance - unless it only happens when you apply brakes - then warped rotors.
asktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by asktk
alignment or wheel balance - unless it only happens when you apply brakes - then warped rotors.
Not knowing anymore, I would have to agree. I would question whether or not the steering wheel vibration occurs all of the time or just within a specific range of speed?

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
mechanic58
Banned

Does your car sit a lot? I have noticed that BOTH my GTOs had this problem, when I'd first start driving them after they'd sat for more than a week. These cars are HEAVY and they tend to flat spot the tires when they sit a lot. This is a fact. Usually when this happens to me, it eventually smooths out as the flat spots go away....after driving 20 miles or so.

On the other hand, the GTO's front end is kinda famous for being "fragile"....if you've hit anything with it, hard bump, pothole...etc, you've prolly knocked it out of whack. Also, you could have a bent wheel. Could be a lot of things. First thing I'd check though is tire/wheel balance, since your symptoms are speed-related.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
surfinjoe

My car sits alot and it does get flat spots on the tires. This should go away after a while. My wheel shake sometimes happens after two hours of driving. In Michigan we have many pot holes and maybe my GTO found one of them.
surfinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
aussie_muscle_fan

that can all be the prob too but the way the gto was designed in the front end yes is very fragile u could of cracked ur balancer from rough roads or the way its driven and centre bearings can play a part in it too i had one come into the shop here one day with a very similar prob it couldnt take his driving and it actually snapped the rear engine mount and cracked the balancer.. but yeah i could be wrong but it is wise to get it checked out cuz it can make ur alignment go out of wack as well wich might explain the wear on the tyres too
aussie_muscle_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
xtranaut

Aussie

What is this magnificent red devil in your photo? I wish they had done THIS design in the 04 comeback GTO. I HAVE GOTTEN USED TO THE BODY STYLE OF MY CAR only because the interior is so nice that it makes up for the rather unthreatening exterior.

THIS CAR LOOKS VERY EURO..touches of BMW and AUDI and nice big wheels to give the car a thrusting look...BUT STILL NO SUNROOF!
xtranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
crug75hid

Oh, Very nice look of your car, It's superb aero dynamic shaped and mac wheel tyres. Entirely pretty attractive with it's colour too.
crug75hid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
leahsLS2gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhill View Post
Your front rotors are warped and need to be removed and resurfaced.Price for that job could go from about $110.00 to about $160.00 depending if it needs brake pads.If it does be sure to buy the good pads.
I am having the same problem with my gto m6 its shakes above 55mph and gets very rapid when i hit the breaks all the way down untill about 20 mph, n high speeds its almost unbearable to sit in the car. Is this the same problem im facing?
Diablosport Tune

Kooks Headers
leahsLS2gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement