Found Something Interesting - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Induction Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
LA_Phantom

Found Something Interesting

After experiencing some cool weather last Friday (see previous post), I got to thinking about true CAI for the GTO. I spent some time re-reading Svede1212's writeups and doing some searching here and there. Specifically, I have looked at replacing the IAT thermistor with a faster acting thermistor, IAT relocation, and air intake relocation all in the name of ensuring that cool air is making it to the the intake manifold and that the IAT is reading the appropriate temperature. Something interesting that I found is the following:

This is the LS2 Heat Soak Reduction Kit and is priced at $99.99. I spoke to Chris White of White Auto & Media regarding this kit. He indicated that it has been available for about three months now and is comprised of a custom molded sensor, as well as a thermistor superior to stock.

Based on my reading, this kit appears to be the first step in the right direction toward mitigating heat soak issues associated with the GTO. This application is truly plug-n-play. It requires neither soldering of thermistor connections nor splicing into the existing MAF/IAT wiring harness.

I know that the ambient air temperatures will be dropping in the near future, if they have not already done so. Subsequently, heat soak is probably not the most pressing issue on our minds, but when things heat up again next year, these kits may not readily available because everyone and their brother will have the same heat soak issues to deal with at the same time. I think that I am going to take care of my thermistor replacement and IAT relocation now. When I do this, I will be sure to give you my general impression.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
FROROCKS

Great find Kory, I too was looking to do a IAT relocate. I hate the heat soak issue on these LS2s. Let us know how easy the install and where you relocate the IAT.
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

I just wish they made these for the LS1 too. Not fair!!!

As you said, soak is not an issue today. Air Temp in the low 40's for a daytime high. I love how the LS1 is running today. Now the problem is the pavement too darned cold and the tires spin like crazy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit Orange
I just wish they made these for the LS1 too. Not fair!!!

As you said, soak is not an issue today. Air Temp in the low 40's for a daytime high. I love how the LS1 is running today. Now the problem is the pavement too darned cold and the tires spin like crazy.
Yeah, I was thinking about that when I made the post. I know there are writeups available for relocating the IAT and swapping the stock thermistor (for one that is more accurate and faster acting) on an LS1. If I am not mistaken, Svede1212 has posted this information somewhere, and he is driving an '04.

-K

|
|
Old 10-20-2006, 06:52 AM   #5
svede1212

yup. the thermistor is $15 but it's $8 for shipping. if you can find a couple of people that want to get one the cost obviously goes down. Chris' set up works and it is plug-n-play. it doesn't have any benefit over going the cheaper route than it is easier. the one thing that it doesn't address is an additional inlet for truely cool air. i'm an acquaintance of the company that produces them and they make a lot of niche products. $99 + shipping or $15 + shipping and DIY. it's up to you but it is a really important upgrade for summer driving.

further reading... http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ss+intake+part
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
LA_Phantom

Thanks for chiming in, Svede1212. I have read and re-read your various posts regarding a real CAI. Prior to a week ago I just did not realize how much I was getting hit with heat soak. The cooler weather certainly was an eye opener.

Anyhow, below is the cost breakdown for the individual components to make this mod:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Component Pricing
Caspers Electronics
MAF/IAT Breakout = $21.95 (Part Number - 108136)
This part eliminates the need to splice into the existing wiring harness.
Shipping = $8.95

Omega Engineering

Thermistor = $15.00 (Part Numer - 44005)
This thermistor is more accurate and faster than the stock thermistor.
Shipping = $8.00

GMPartsDirect

IAT Sensor = $10.68 (Part Number - 12160244)
Grommets (optional, set of 5) = $7.85 (Part Number - 24504388)
Handling = $5.75
Shipping = $5.93

Cost of Parts = $55.48
Total Cost = $84.11

These prices are current as of 10/12/06.
I am sure that some of these prices can be reduced, but overall the shipping and handling sucks.

-K

P.S. It is currently 59 F in South Louisiana. Nice...

|
|
Old 12-17-2020, 04:02 AM   #7
juliadavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
yup. the thermistor is $15 but it's $8 for shipping. if you can find a couple of people that want to get one the cost obviously goes down. Chris' set up works and it is plug-n-play. it doesn't have any benefit over going the cheaper route than it is easier. the one thing that it doesn't address is an additional inlet for truely cool air. i'm an acquaintance of the company that produces them and they make a lot of niche products. $99 + shipping or $15 + shipping and DIY. it's up to you but it is a really important upgrade for summer driving.

further reading... http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ss+intake+part
Thank you!
juliadavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #8
Robert Steller

Great information.
Robert Steller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement