GTO replaces aging Z28 as U2 chase car - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > NewAgeGTO Lounge

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
GMinTheDriveway

From: http://www.motortrend.com/features/perform...camarou2chaser/

Quote:
Fast cars have been part of the U-2 program since the 1960s. The program began with Chevrolet El Caminos and later used Ford Mustangs before switching to the Z-28. With the Z-28 now out of production, new Pontiac GTOs are entering the flight line at the U-2’s home base at Beale AFB, California.
Notice they didn't go BACK to the Mustangs! Sounds like a pretty neat job to me
GMinTheDriveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Sting2114

Cool story...Thanks for the information!
Sting2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link to the story and it was interesting but..........

Does anyone else think that buying high performance cars as chase vehicles is a colossal waste of money by our government?

It read the chase vehicle nears 100 mph. Any 4-banger nowadays can do that, why not use a cheaper model like a 4 cyl Cobalt or Sunfire. To me although it seems cool just seems like another way for the government to spend my money on something that is not even really needed.

And by the way, isn't the U2 basically obsolete anyway?

Again thanks for the read but I'd rather the government spend my tax money on something other than making a GTO a chase car.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Nocturn

True, but they are neccesary when cars like the Corvette, or M5 decide to run from the cops. A cavalier could DO 100, but it would take 5 minutes to doit, where in the GTO can hit it quicker and provide a chace for those departments without a chopper.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
MajorMajor

But orbit are you trying to say if you were the guy in charge of acquiring such a vehicle for the task you wouldnt go ahead and pick the one that would be the most fun i meen cmon the govts in debt over stupid things like SS not by buying GTOs
MajorMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Personally, of course I'd rather have the GTO for the job.

Yet professionally, if it were my decision I would probably opt for the most cost effective and able vehicle to meet the need.

It's not just SS where we are hurting. Add up all these little things and it adds up. Some GTO's here, a few 600 dollar toilet seats there, it all adds up over time. I have a hard time seeing the need for a government agency to buy a vehicle that would be nicer than some of their employees/enlisted people could afford.

And face it, the U2's day is over. To me this is just another case of government waste. Sure it's cool. Who wouldn't love chasing a U2 down the runway at WOT? It could be accomplished easily though through cheaper fleet vehicles, NOT high performance sports coupes, with higher price tags.

I'd rather have my OWN money to spend on a GTO, NOT the government to spend on a GTO that is not needed in my humble opinion.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:37 PM   #7
Gatling553

These cars don’t only assist the pilots during landing but retrieve the film and whisk it away to another undisclosed location for development. Sure they could use a Chevy Cobalt and after a couple hundred landings the engine would be shot or falling apart on the runway, or how about a 20 million dollar helicopter to do the same mission as the Z28? And as far as the U2, there job is not obsolete just because of satellite technology, how much do you think it coasts to move one of those things from one orbit to another, and once their fuel runs out there not moving anywhere. It’s far cheaper to deploy a 4 million U2 and a pair of $32,500 GTO’s then a 50 billion dollar satellite when our country needs intelligence.
If I was chasing down an aircraft at 100+ mph, I wouldn’t want to be chasing it in a Chevy 4 banger, I would want something with some balls to do the job! Hoo-Ah!
Gatling553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
tiretread

Quote:
Originally posted by Orbit Orange@Apr 29 2005, 10:35 PM

And by the way, isn't the U2 basically obsolete anyway?

****, I hope not. My wife would be out of work!
tiretread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 11:21 PM   #9
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Doesn't the SR-71 (or is it SR-72) Blackbird pull more spy/recon missions than the U2? I'm in no way an expert on aircraft but someone out there could shed a little light here. And how about the "Flying Wing" for lack of a better name, but it looks like a big version of the Stealth Fighter. Someone have a name on it. Fill me in here.

Whatever the case, I'm not against providing adequate and usuable equipment to our military but you have to draw the line somewhere. I mean why not use Corvettes? They are more aerodynamic and quicker and have a higher top end than the GTO? They would be more efficient right? Why not an Enzo? It's even quicker and could follow more closely. I'm bringing up ridiculous comparisons because I'm trying to prove my point that there comes a point when you go from a utilitarian to a frivolous tool to do the job. In my estimation using GTO's is frivolous and "overkill" but hey what do I know, I don't have a 2 trillion dollar debt as the government does.

Remember fellas, I love the GTO. It just doesn't need to be used when something else could. And what's wrong with the Z 28's anyway? There are PLENTY of GM and aftermarket parts to keep these functional at a lower price than buying new GTO's just so the chasers can have a new cool ride??? I'm sorry I just don't buy it. I see it as government excessively spending taxpayer money. Just my opinion.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:05 AM   #10
ronaldvetteron

The SR71 has been largely retired from service. It is very expensive to operate compared to the U2. Additionally, when you rarely have to worry about being downed by a SAM, the SR71 is overkill. It is one hecka of a bird though.
ronaldvetteron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #11
Gatling553

Remember acquisition always goes to the lowest bidder, does someone have any idea how much GM is selling the GTO to the Air Force for? Probably not, but I’m sure it’s not MSRP. GM can’t buy this kind of advertisement….
I’m sure the Z28’s life expectancy is long over with considering these things are chasing aircraft and not strolling down Interstate 95. As far as after market parts, that’s probably the reason for getting rid of the Z28’s in the first place, wars, are not won on aftermarket parts and besides who should get the contract? JC Whitney catalog for the Z28 or GM/Pontiac for the Goat?
Gatling553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #12
tiretread

SR-71 is retired. These guys are "chasing" U2's which are moving at a pretty good clip. They need a car with speed and torque. Sure, they could use a 4-banger, but why chance it. The pilots deserve better. The "chase" car has a lot of additional duties other than just zooming up and down the strip. Those Z28s put some serious miles on them. Getting old. Risk a multi-million airplane and a pilot by going cheap? I'm glad they got a GTO, my wife (and every pilot) is worth it.
tiretread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #13
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. And if they feel the need to have a higher price higher performance vehicle then it might as well be a GM product like the GTO and not a Rustang.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #14
carnivore80

We're talking about the difference of a couple thousand dollars which is peanuts to the Government. If I'm looking for a fast, solid chase vehicle, the GTO would be my first choice---it is the fastest car you can get for the money. And I'll bet the Gov. got them for a steal. As for my tax money, I wouldn't worry about it too much---current U.S. Population is about 295,000,000. Assuming that the Gov't. bought 20 GTOs for $10,000 more than they could have gotten a new F-body for, that's $200,000. Now also assume that everyone pays and equal share (which they don't, but for the sake of simplicity) you end up paying about $0.000677 to say that the car you drive is the same car they use to chase down aircraft.

But say the government decides to go with the F-Body...that means a $200,000.00 surplus for the government, and you get a tax refund check that is $0.000677 larger. I can see why you would be so pissed off that you are being robbed of this---I mean, you could could use that to buy a 1mm slice of a Snickers bar or something! :huh:
carnivore80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #15
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

carnivore I am going to point out one more thing then I'm dropping this subject.

Yes this is a relatively small amount when you figure it up. It's when this type of spending happens over thousands of purchases over a multitude of years. And YES it does add up over time. If you don't think the government is wasting our hard earned tax money on a multitude of different purchases you are fooling yourself. That's also not to say that the government also makes wise decisions on some other things, which it does. But face it, with a 2 TRILLION dollar debt this overspending has occured over and over and over again, ad nauseum. So that thought that oh what's another 200,000 grand mean in the overall picture doesn't seem large. It will be when it happens over hundreds of like decisions over a matter of years and years. To look at the picture as a small expenditure and it doesn't cost us much is very short-sighted. Basic economics at play.

Debate on if you like. I've already agreed to disagree and won't change my mind as I figure others pro-spending won't either. And like I said, if they are going to overspend (in my estimation) at least it's a GTO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement