362HP RWD Grand Prix? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > Press Room > Latest Site/GTO Relevant News!

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Nocturn

362HP RWD Grand Prix?

The latest edition of Motor Trend has a write about the Commodore being the new G8/Grand Prix....with pics...PSed pics, but pics none the less.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

I've read the article. I'd love to see it over here but I have a feeling it won't happen. If anything we'll have a similar replacement for the Grand Prix but it will be built here in North America so we can produce them in the right numbers. 20000 HiPo G8's (or whatever they will call it) just won't do it. They'll have to have base model bread and butter V6's as well.

Also if it did happen I'm sure we'd see at least a 400 HP LS2 or maybe even a 425+ HP LS3. And selling 20K of those would be a stretch 10 to 12K would be the max just from looking at GTO sales. Maybe 15K if GM got lucky.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Orbit Orange; 09-05-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
andyx181x

i read the ad too it looks like a really great car and it will go great with the GTO, however the HP rating being based off what they run in austraila. it doesn't make sence to leave the 6.0 engine at that power when it should be at 400, i assume they should make the LS4 a higher output, or leave the LS2 at 400 HP and the GTO would have to be surpassing that. also has anyone else heard that maybe this G8 be the replacement of the GTO? im kinda worried they forget our beloved GTO here, plus the HP issue is a dilema cause obviously you can't have to high performanced cars with similar power
andyx181x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
andyx181x

heres info on both the G8 and GTO found on wikipedia, what do you guys think?

G8:
The Pontiac G8 is a full-size car to be released by the Pontiac division of General Motors for the 2009 model year. The G8 will be built on the GM Zeta platform. It will replace the Grand Prix and is expected to absorb most of the lost sales from the cancelled Bonneville in the marque's lineup, though the Buick Lucerne will also take on some Bonneville sales.
It may feature a 400 hp 6.0 L LS2 V8 under a special Ram Air hood, and will also offer all-wheel drive.

GTO:
An entirely new GTO on a new platform (Zeta, developed by Holden) should appear in or around 2008. Featuring more aggressive body work, the car may be a coupé with suicide doors, like the Mazda RX-8 and the Saturn ION coupe. General Motors is considering how could they could produce both the 2008 GTO and the 2007 Chevrolet Camaro without competing directly with each other. One possibility is to rebadge the GTO as a Buick model and appoint near-luxury refinements with a Northstar V8. This would set the Buick GTO as a personal coupe and the Camaro as a performance coupe. Pricing of the Buick GTO is said to start at $34,990 USD and the Camaro $22,990 USD.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx181x
GTO:
An entirely new GTO on a new platform (Zeta, developed by Holden) should appear in or around 2008. Featuring more aggressive body work, the car may be a coupé with suicide doors, like the Mazda RX-8 and the Saturn ION coupe. General Motors is considering how could they could produce both the 2008 GTO and the 2007 Chevrolet Camaro without competing directly with each other. One possibility is to rebadge the GTO as a Buick model and appoint near-luxury refinements with a Northstar V8. This would set the Buick GTO as a personal coupe and the Camaro as a performance coupe. Pricing of the Buick GTO is said to start at $34,990 USD and the Camaro $22,990 USD.
I'm not much liking the idea of doors like the Mazda RX-8. Just give me 2 doors and be done with it.

A Buick GTO!? What the heck is a personal coupe? I certainly hope that GM does not screw things up with the GTO.

-K

Edit: The Grand Prix would be cool to see as an offering here in the States, but I would want to see more than 400 Hp when the GTO returns...as a Pontiac GTO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|

Last edited by LA_Phantom; 09-05-2006 at 06:40 PM.
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #6
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

I wouldn't take too much stock in Wikipedias "information". When they say things like Buick GTO they tend to lose ALL creedence with me.

How about the looks? Do you all like those grilles or not? What I don't understand is why every Pontiac has to have those same exact shape grilles? Don't these photoshoppers have any imagination? Just because Pontiac has a split grille doesn't mean they have to have that exact shape. You can do a split grille to compliment the rest of the styling on the front. I just get sick of the "default" grille that pops up on everything Pontiac. A total lack of styling and imagination. Just lazy design if you ask me. I wish someone could photoshop up some different shaped split grilles that would fit into the Holden front end better?

Any wannabe designers here?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Old 09-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #7
bonzelite

beholden to Holden

yes, when i saw that cover a few days ago, i thought it was the GTO but i did a double take and it was the Gran Prix. very sharp. what car is that, then, in Australia?

and i would take all media reports about the impending configurations of the GTO, G8, Gran Prix, etc, with a grain of salt. a lot can happen between now and 2009. GTO and Camaro existed at the same time before. and they can again.

Last edited by bonzelite; 09-05-2006 at 10:09 PM.
bonzelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
andyx181x

ahh your right about that, and yea what about the grills! they can be a bit more creative, they aint like cadillac you know
Old 09-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #9
bonzelite

i'm still learning the ropes here, but i assume that's a Commodore by Holden? Commodores did very well, as far as i can recall, back in the days of Group A racing at Bathurst. i have some archival footage of some of that action.

i am happy to see GM highly interested in continuing with the Aussie connection to the United States. coming from the Japanese tuner culture that i enjoy, it's neat to see the lines blurring in distinction between import tuning culture and classic American Muscle car revivals. Australia, as it seems, has continued through the years to get the better and more interesting offerings of cars. at least different from what has been culturally expected here in the USA.
bonzelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
Donno

Those grills make it look like a 3 series on steriods.......
Donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 AM   #11
vrbleena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzelite
i'm still learning the ropes here, but i assume that's a Commodore by Holden? Commodores did very well, as far as i can recall, back in the days of Group A racing at Bathurst. i have some archival footage of some of that action.
Mate I have lived and breathed Australian Motorsport, particularly Commodores. Commodores always do well, but I am biased being Aussie and all.

I've seen first hand the new Commodore, and there is a good possibility of exporting to the US, the cars are made in such a way that RHD>LHD conversions will be very easily worked into the manufacturing process. Good chance that RHD and LHD will be made "side by side" its just whether our factory can hold up which such an increase of production. There has been major upgrades to the Holden Assembly pant, and my feeling is that they wouldnt produce a world-class car without considering world-class production expectations.

P.S. RIP PETER BROCK, AUSTRALIAN MOTORSPORT LEGEND
vrbleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #12
vrbleena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzelite
i did a double take and it was the Gran Prix. very sharp. what car is that, then, in Australia?
I didnt see pic, but odds are it's a VE Commodore SS-V
Old 09-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
vrbleena

Also HSV has just released the E-series, featuring 307kW LS2's (i dont know what that is in HP)
Old 09-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Quote:
I didnt see pic, but odds are it's a VE Commodore SS-V
The pic is here in the first post. Yes it is the SS-V.

I know Holden wants to export this to us after hearing that production is down since the Monaro/GTO is history and that outgoing Commodore sales were down. I'm just not sure it makes business sense for Pontiac and GM to bring over a very limited number when the Grand Prix is a VOLUME car. Pontiac is struggling to maintain it's identity right now. The General has focused it's resources and attention on Chevy, Cadillac and Saturn. Poor Pontiac is waiting patiently as well as Buick. These would make great performance sedans in the true "Excitement Division" mold. But I would think a North American produced Zeta sedan and coupe with both 6 and 8 cylinders that can be produced up to 100,000 units is what GM is thinking about. A Buick would also be built on this platform as well as possibly a Chevy too. High volume from the platform just isn't going to be achieved by Holden.

It's a shame too, the Commodore SS-V is one HOT sedan. I'd love to have one in my garage.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
vrbleena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrbleena
the cars are made in such a way that RHD>LHD conversions will be very easily worked into the manufacturing process.
If the volume is too large to export to the US, I'm sure if we give them the "recipe" that GM over there could make them up in large numbers.

That way they may not be Australian built, but at least we know that they are Australian designed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement