A new champion for our GTO's - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > NewAgeGTO Lounge

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Thumbs up A new champion for our GTO's

Hemmings Muscle Machines has a new editor and he seems to like the GTO but can also write objectively about some of it's faults. Here's the heart of the article.

Ignoring the Dream (Hemmings Muscle Machines, October 2006) by Terry McGean

"...Barely four years later, there we were, gawking at the fifth gen concept, marveling at its lineage to the first iteration, and hoping it would make it through the gauntlet of GM politics and bean counters all the way to showrooms. Meanwhile, one of the more common utterances to be heard form gawkers went something like, "Wow, a 6 liter 400 horsepower V8 with rear drive and a six speed? They'll never build it like that..." often followed with, "If they'd build a car like that, I'd buy one right now." So why haven't you? If it's rear drive coupe with a 400hp V8, a six speed trans, and an independent rearend that you want, all you have to do is hit the local Pontiac dealer. There awaits a car with all of the aforementioned items, just waiting to click off an easy mid-13 second quarter mile and then deliver 25 mpg on the way home with the A/C on. But you're not biting. Since its introduction, the most common criticism of the new GTO has been its appearance. The Goat faithful claim it doesn't look like a GTO: everybody else says it looks like a Grand Am, Cavalier, or worse yet, something Japanese. Many were heard to say that this reincarnation of The Great One is ugly, but let's be honest -- it's not ugly, it's just not a captivating as we might have hoped it would be after a 30 year hiatus. The kvetching from baby boomers about the lack of a hood scoop was strong enough that Pontiac went to the trouble of designing and tooling a new hood, and while they were at it, a new rear fascia with proper left and right exhaust outlets. Still, sales have remained weak. I have to be honest here; It blows my mind that after all these years since GTO production ceased, after the years when manual transmissions in sedans had come to an end, after rear drive passenger cars had all but disappeared, that any true enthusiast of American muscle could find fault with this car simply because it doesn't live up to their idea of what a GTO should look like. If you want to complain about a brand new car that can run rings around 90 percent of all GTO's ever made while providing comfortable and somewhat practical transportation, find a more legitamate gripe, will ya'? Groan about the price, or the abbreviated trunk, or the lack of space for the driver's left foot, or the poorly conceived rear seat egress. But don't whine about the way it looks; to me that just says that you're someone who doesn't understand what a muscle car is really about. Note to the Boomers: The original GTO wasn't the visual knockout you seem to have convinced yourselves it was. Find a photo of a stock '64 GTO. Not the one your friend had with Cragars and ladder bars and panel paint, but a GTO as GM produced it, as it appeared in showrooms. Do you honestly believe that anyone who wasn't a motorhead could discern the GTO from a standard LeMans? Outside of the emblems, the unique look came from blacked out grille bars and a pair of very subtle, very non-functional simulated hood scoops. But no one seemed hung up on the pedestrian bodywork back then. Instead, they focused on the real purpose of a muscle car: Going fast in a midsized American sedan with a honkin' V8. Remember what it was like trying to do the same thing with a 305 in the 80's? If you ever thought the new GTO was a car you might possible want, you need to drive one. And make it soon, because as this is written, they only new ones left are those sitting on dealer's lots, and once they're gone, so is the GTO ... again. We may have another chance. Unless plans change (and they migh) a new GTO will hit Pontiac showrooms in a couple model years. A lot can happen in the auto industry in two years, bhut if the next crop of V8 rear drive performance cars makes it to fruition, you'd better give them serious consideration. If not, you may not get the chance again."

All I can say is AMEN BROTHER!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Orbit Orange; 09-13-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
FROROCKS

WOW . And again, nice job double OO.
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
mechanic58
Banned

That was a great article. I coulda written that. But there woulda been a few four letter words. lol.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Oops, I forgot to mention the editor, Terry McGean. I've got his name in there now. He was recently hired by HMM. Maybe, just maybe being the Chief Editor, he will make sure that this anti-new GTO [email protected] will stay out of the mag.

I like this guy already. And he's no Kool-aid drinker also. He knows about the GTO's faults as we do, but he knows they are minor compared to what the car is all about. Others in the auto industry need to pull their heads out of their tails and learn a thing or two from this guy. Let's hope he does a good job.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
theamcguy

The guy hit the nail on the head, the original 64 GTO as well as the 65-67, visually were not exciting cars. It was always about what was under the hood. Sad today it's about the looks. What really amazes me is that in about 2001/2002 either Hot Rod or Car Craft ran an article about a RWD, manual transmission, 2 dr coupe with the LS1 that was being built in Australia and it was being built in LHD for export to the Middle East. The magazine took GM to task for not bringing the car to the states as they said very little would need to be done to import it. They even said it would be a perfect GTO replacement. GM listened, and brought the car here and the same press has been all over it ever since. I really think the whole "It's not a real GTO" from the old GTO crowd is so they don't feel obligated to go out and spend 30K for a new one. I have both a 1965 & a 2005 they are both good cars and both are GTOs. The other thing that bugs me is the whole "the car is not selling well so it must be a failure". First off Pontiac never intended for it to be a volume car. Contractually it was limited to 15,000 units a year. Didn't matter if they had 100,000 orders they could only build and import 15,000 a year. Second and the big reason why this model of GTO is not flying off the lot, the people that want it, can't afford it. The original GTO could of been bought by a guy in high school with a part time job, this GTO needs to bought by a someone pulling down 35K+ a year. Not many late teens early 20s guys are making that. The guys that can afford it need a car with a little more utility eg rear seat access, trunk. Trust me this car will be hot on the used car market in 3-4 years and will carry its value like the Buick Grand National.
1965 GTO Nightwatch Blue/Aqua
2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
theamcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #6
theamcguy

Oh one more thing, Dan Gurney in an interview named his 2004 GTO as one of his favorite all time cars, but he doesn't know anything about cars does he?
1965 GTO Nightwatch Blue/Aqua
2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
theamcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
bonzelite

i have that issue and read the article thanks to your making it known and all else. excellent going to you, btw.

this is a very important point:

"Note to the Boomers: The original GTO wasn't the visual knockout you seem to have convinced yourselves it was. Find a photo of a stock '64 GTO. Not the one your friend had with Cragars and ladder bars and panel paint, but a GTO as GM produced it, as it appeared in showrooms. Do you honestly believe that anyone who wasn't a motorhead could discern the GTO from a standard LeMans?

nuff said.
bonzelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:02 AM   #8
bonzelite

voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamcguy
The guy hit the nail on the head, the original 64 GTO as well as the 65-67, visually were not exciting cars. It was always about what was under the hood. Sad today it's about the looks. What really amazes me is that in about 2001/2002 either Hot Rod or Car Craft ran an article about a RWD, manual transmission, 2 dr coupe with the LS1 that was being built in Australia and it was being built in LHD for export to the Middle East. The magazine took GM to task for not bringing the car to the states as they said very little would need to be done to import it. They even said it would be a perfect GTO replacement. GM listened, and brought the car here and the same press has been all over it ever since. I really think the whole "It's not a real GTO" from the old GTO crowd is so they don't feel obligated to go out and spend 30K for a new one. I have both a 1965 & a 2005 they are both good cars and both are GTOs. The other thing that bugs me is the whole "the car is not selling well so it must be a failure". First off Pontiac never intended for it to be a volume car. Contractually it was limited to 15,000 units a year. Didn't matter if they had 100,000 orders they could only build and import 15,000 a year. Second and the big reason why this model of GTO is not flying off the lot, the people that want it, can't afford it. The original GTO could of been bought by a guy in high school with a part time job, this GTO needs to bought by a someone pulling down 35K+ a year. Not many late teens early 20s guys are making that. The guys that can afford it need a car with a little more utility eg rear seat access, trunk. Trust me this car will be hot on the used car market in 3-4 years and will carry its value like the Buick Grand National.
+100

you get it.

your entire quote is valuable and addresses the reality of the GTO situation. the self-contradictory and bullsh!t "faux purist" media diatribes over the GTO of late is entirely unwarranted and utterly stupid. i am pleased to see you and OrbitOrange, and all fans here, clearing the air about the unfortunate and ignorant opinions and attitudes so broadly cast across hell's half acre.

this car will be similar in collectibility status as the Buick Grand National. absolutely. keep yours as pristine and as low-mileage as possible.
bonzelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
asktk

The collectibility status of this car is going to be huge. the limited numbers aspect will be the driver - as compared to the 149,000 Mustangs produced last year. I tried to convince my wife last night about the potential value of the GTO down the road, suggesting it was perhaps the best investment around right now. I told her we'd be better off putting in the 3rd bay of the garage under cover and pulling it out only on nice weekends. She's agreed - but only after her laser eye surgery and her boob job. I told her she's got her priorities backwards! Car, then Boobs, then eyes . . .
asktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:14 AM   #10
gto n 442

I love my gto and I love the way it looks . Theres very few faults I have with the car. I also believe that the car has gotten a bad rap by the media . Its slowish sales are due to its price. As far as collector cars go dont buy one as an investment . Its unlikely that it will ever increase in value the way the old muscle cars have . Think about it hybrids and alternative fuels are the future . It took about 30+ years for the old muscle cars to really increase in value. In 30 years do you really see gasoline as the fuel of choice. Ive said this before collectables are really only valuble when people dont realize the item as a collectable at the time (ie comic books,coins,baseball cards old cars). Things that are sold with the intent of being collectable seldom increase in value(anyone in the market for a civil war chess set from the franklin mint,or some dept 56 houses or perhaps some collectable plates?). How many limited edtions of vehicles out there hold any type of value? Dont ever buy a car as an investment. 30k on a car or 30k in a 5% yeilding cd which do you think will be of higher value in 30yrs.
Buy the car to drive it .too many variables for a car to be a good investment.
gto n 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
asktk

appreciate you setting me straight on the whole investment thing - however I was sort of goofing around. There's no way I'd park my '05 midnight blue GTO in the garage - I bought it solely because I wanted something fun to drive. I have a 2+ hour commute daily, and was tired of driving the proverbial ego luxury cars that caused me to all but fall asleep on my drive. Prior cars were 2001 BMW 530i and 2003 Mercedes E320. I can drive pretty much whatever I want, I like I said I wanted something fun. For 1/2 to 1/3 less than other cars I was looking at, I selected my fun-to-drive GTO as my daily driver. It won't get parked anytime soon.
asktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
TheJizzer

I am going to cry now... FTLOG thank you!
TheJizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement