Upgrade from stock PCM - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > 2004 GTO Specific General Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
cowboyili

Send a message via AIM to cowboyili
Upgrade from stock PCM

Okay, so I've read about all these different tuners...Diablo..Predator...getting it actually tuned by someone, etc. Currently the only changes I've really done to my engine is add K&N CAI and put some new Gatorback belts on. So I think it's safe to say my car is stock. I'd like to try a new tune and see what I'm missing. I kind of feel like my first gear sucks, I can never really burn out for some reason. Wondering what the cheapest, yet effective, PCM tune would be? I don't feel comfortable using one off of eBay - but would like to know what everyone else is using for their 04 goats. I have an A4, btw.

Thanks!
cowboyili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
svede1212

the best way is a complete tune with a full tuning suite (HP Tuners or EFIlive) and wideband O2 but if you just want the basic plug-n-play handheld then the tune that's in the SLP is the best for our cars

Go:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SD tune - HPT w/LC-1 - SLP LTs - FTI SS HT Cam - Stiffy - SLP UD - 243 Heads - Custom Exhaust - NW 102 TB - FAST 102 - 3.91s w/Spring Kit - DiffTech DS - Fjord 42# Green Tops - Diamond Stg 3 clutch

Handling: GMM Rip Shift - Harrop Cover - Koni's - Hotchkis - Lovells springs - SuperPro - Energy Susp - Pedders - '05 Brakes - 1" widened rear wheels
Show: Tints 55% Fronts, 15% Rear & Rear Sides - '06 Black Tails
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
cowboyili

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

I've just got a Predator. You can remove the TM from your 04 A4 and burnout all day. A good tune like svede mentioned above is the best, but if you just want to tweek a few things and make you ride a little more fun a handheld will do the trick. Still I could light 'em up even before I tuned out TM so I hope there isn't some other issue going on that you can't light them up in first.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
cowboyili

Ya I don't know. It moves really quick, but I dunno my problem. I do spin my tires out, but it's just never a real tire-squealing burnout. The most chirp I really ever hear is switching into 2nd gear OR if I'm going around a corner and gun it. I think that has more to do with the lateral movement than actually the takeoff, but my car seems to run really smooth. I've had the trans rebuilt a few months back and the engine runs great. I guess the second gear just seems to really throw you back, and I feel like first gear could be a little harder hitting.

Last edited by cowboyili; 07-28-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
cowboyili

Okay, so I got my car back last night (swapped tie rods and got an alignment) and tried to have some fun with it. I realized my tires are spinning out, just not gripping the pavement as much. I sound stupid now reading my earlier post, but I'm thinking maybe if I had some better skins more suitable I'd get a better burnout. I put on a new set of BF Goodrich KDWS - which I believe is stock??
Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Good tires are a must. Frankly ditching the stock BFG's were one of the better mods I did. I was never impressed with the grip, feel or handling of the stock tires. Don't worry a few burnouts and you'll need a new set anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #8
cowboyili

Haha, no kidding. I put 13,000 miles on them and there's little tread left. Ill have to wait til I finish my suspension. I don't notice any wear but see the dirt from the strut rub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement