Headers - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Exhaust Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
hopkins2007

Headers

suggestions? i want the most bang for my buck.. right now im bankin on Kooks long tube.. but i wanna check with you guys before i commit. any other suggestions on how to spend another 1200-1500 other than what i already have? thanks again
hopkins2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

LT headers are one of the "bang for the buck" mods. A lot of guys run Kooks LT's. Are you planning on cats or going catless with the headers? A good tuner can bring out the best performance after a header install but it isn't necessary. Hopefully some others with LT's give you their 2 cents.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
hopkins2007

im going to run cats.. i already have a tuner.. will i have to re tune?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
hopkins2007

btw im lookin for the best sound too.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

You can tune or get a programmed tune for your specific mods on the Predator. I've fooled around with my Predator some but when it comes to timing and fueling on it I don't mess with it, I'm just not comfortable enough with it. I know the SLP Predator 421 and 455 tunes for the 05/06's are made with headers in mind but I'm not sure about the canned tune for the 04's. If you are good at it or patient enough, with a little info from Diablosport you could probably tune for your headers.

You will definitely get louder with headers and high flow cats.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 PM   #6
BoiseGoatOwner

Read my post titled " Holy nightmare Batman "

For 1700$ you can get Kooks LT's with the jet hot 1700 degree coating and the "sound so good make you wanna slap yo momma" Kooks Afterburner axle back exhaust. When your ready to install let me know cuz I just did it and I know all the tricks to a fairly pain free experience.
New Era Performance intake : B&M short throw : Kooks headers : Kooks Afterburner exhaust : Custom x-pipe and mid section from Boise Muffler : Depo tail lights and a custom tune from Performance Solutions using the HP tuner software.
BoiseGoatOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
hopkins2007

well i dont know if i can swing all that right away.. maybe a piece at a time.. cause i just ordered drilled and slotted rotors litterally 5 min ago.. but anyways. another question i had was.. will i have any problems hooking up the headers to the rest of my components? the only other exhaust mod i have is a cat back magnaflow system.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Do the Kooks come with catted mids, uncatted mids, or no mids? If they come with the midpipes you should be fine.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
hopkins2007

i dont believe they do
Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Where did you get them from, do they have a picture or take a pic of what you've got and we'll let you know. If you've just got the headers you'll need either the catted mids or "race" uncatted pipes.

For example from MarylandSpeed

http://marylandspeed.com/kooks-long-...701-p-495.html

You'll see the catted mids or "off road" (uncatted) mids that you'll need if you just have the headers themselves.

Last edited by Orbit Orange; 08-03-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
hopkins2007

i havnt actually ordered the headers yet. i will in the next week or so.. i just wanna get the Kooks LT and whatever else i need ya know.. lol, im wantin to make my car loud as can be.. so im sorry to have to be so dull with all this i just dont wanna order anything i really need or order something i dont.. so what your sayin is when i order the headers im going to need to get the Mids too? and also what coating should i get. thanks again.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

If it were me I'd get the Jet Hot 1700 degree sterling silver. But that is up to personal preference I guess. Also I see that the Kooks come in 1 7/8 or 1 3/4 inch primaries. Frankly I'm forgetting which is better for certain applications, i.e. naturally aspirated vs. forced induction. If you straight up loud get the "race" mids without the cats. If you don't want the gas smell and just loud instead of NASCAR loud get the catted mids. If you need more help contact Branden at MarylandSpeed.com, he can answer your questions WAY better than me. (or shoot Formula79 a PM here on the site as well, you'll see why when I say that )

Old 08-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
BoiseGoatOwner

Kooks 1 7/8s headers...sterling coated 1700degree. Or get the Signature series which are stepped, you'll pay for it though. And I'm telling you guys to get that Kooks Afterburner axle back exhaust, it is the purest old school sound I have ever heard. Now here is where you have to decide some things... loudness vs quality of the sound and increased air flow. Before I had a local exhaust god's shop fab up a mid section for me, x-pipe and connecting pipes to delete the stock resonator box, the goat sounded mean and loud as hell but with a drawback. That resonator box messes with the back pressure so you get a lot of that farting and popping sound when shifting through gears and on deceleration.
Kind of like a Harley in second gear at 40mph coming to a stop. After I had the new mid section put on I would have to say that it is a little quieter at w.o.t. but the air flow gains are incredible and all that farting through gears has stopped completely. So I guess it comes down to where you want to take your goat.
New Era Performance intake : B&M short throw : Kooks headers : Kooks Afterburner exhaust : Custom x-pipe and mid section from Boise Muffler : Depo tail lights and a custom tune from Performance Solutions using the HP tuner software.
BoiseGoatOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #14
BRMike

Unless you plan on some kind of forced induction, I suggest the 1.75" long tube headers. The Kooks Signature Series are worth the added cost, in my opinion. Those were not available when I ordered my headers.

If you're looking for a "loud" set up, you would have to swap out the Magnaflow cat-back system. The Magnaflow is not as loud as some of the other systems out there. Having said that, I intend to buy a Magnaflow system for my car in the future. I believe the Magnaflow/LT set up will be a solid set up.
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement