It's going to get me into trouble - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > Kill Forum

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:43 AM   #1
Jmar

I've had mine for ONE WEEK and people are trying to race me! With barely over 300 miles I've been in two skirmishes and am really trying to stay out of them until the car is broken in. They would have been good kills but the guys that are trying to take me on (Porsche and 90s model Turbo RX7) want to do it in heavy traffic by weaving through it and I'd like to stay on this side of jail. When I finally realized what I was doing the second time (Porsche), I glanced down to see 120 mph so I backed off. The GTO had plenty left but I began to think about my wife, license, jail, impounded car, insurance, job, somebody on a cell phone pulling out in front of me and possibly toasting a new engine; so I back out.

When my friends ask about it's potential I tell them it's sneaky fast. When the car has enough miles on it I need to take it to the strip and get it out of my system.
Jmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Yep, the GTO is a good test for your responsibility. They ought to advertise, "Restraint NOT included".

Pick and choose and good luck at the track.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
SiDeWaYzGTO

Yea thats definetly true, my family knows me as a responsible person but they aren't fully convinced that i wont do something completly stupid with that type of power at my hands well in this case feet. Im not saying it wont be extremly tempting when i do get it but im hoping my will is as strong as yours, but i dont mess around in traffic like that
SiDeWaYzGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
04GOATGERM

Yeah it's hard for me sometimes to behave myself. When I get an urge I just go for a cruise and find an old abandond parking lot or a rural road and get squirrly.
04GOATGERM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
jetix

When I drive my truck it's easy to be content going 65 or 70. In the Goat it really takes restraint to not exceed the speed limit by 20 mph or more. I gotta get a radar detector!
jetix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:08 AM   #6
mario04gto

:woot: Now that is the truth, I've never driven below 70 in my goat. I live in a rural part of South Texas where trucks are the norm. They see me coming and they all move to the side, even our local police officers know me now and I've past them at 50 in a 35 zone and they don't stop me. Last time they told me to give them my cell phone incase they needed someone for a pursuit, no S*** I promise tehy asked for it and I obliged!
mario04gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
coptrdoctr

Just bought my Goat last week, and have been trying to keep my foot out of it since. Had to take one challenge already though.. a late 90's model Mustang SVT Cobra. It wasn't a long race, a double left hand turn at a stop light intersection in preparation to head onto the on ramp for the freeway... which was a single lane on ramp. Mustang had the inside track and me the outside. Light turned green and before we cleared the intersection the stang was already a car length back. He tried to gun it harder as we straightended out but by the time we hit the on-ramp he was over 2 lengths back. Once we got on the freeway (I-10 in El Paso during morning rush hour) he started weaving in and out of traffic like a maniac so I let him go. I figure I already proved my point in just that short 0-80.
coptrdoctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
mldavis

As a weekend cop (deputy sheriff, actually) I'd advise against racing in traffic. Too many stupid drivers who don't check six and pull into your lane. Big problem is speed differential, and the fact that slowing from 100 to 70 takes longer than from 60 to 30. Find a drag strip but don't do something stupid. If an old lady pulls in front of you, regardless of who had the right of way, you lose. Not worth losing a license over it, not worth the huge insurance increases for years to come, and not worth scratching a Goat.
mldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
forestdweller

Quote:
Originally posted by mldavis@Aug 4 2005, 07:37 PM
If an old lady pulls in front of you, regardless of who had the right of way, you lose.
Indeed, Regardless of who's "at fault" you're still wrecked, injured or dead. And either way the mistake only has to happen once.
Ricers in particular aggravate me the most, as they are by far the most reckless group in general. But you have to weigh the cost of the potential years you could lose/alter in order to crush someone's shallow ego for 15 seconds. They don't deserve that much respect.
forestdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:13 PM   #10
M Night B

Quote:
Ricers in particular aggravate me the most, as they are by far the most reckless group in general.
I agree. Why do they have to drive like someone just lit their a$$ on fire and they're trying to get away from the flames?
M Night B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
Croft316

Quote:
Originally posted by M Night B@Aug 5 2005, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Ricers in particular aggravate me the most, as they are by far the most reckless group in general.
I agree. Why do they have to drive like someone just lit their a$$ on fire and they're trying to get away from the flames?
They have to make up for their lack of power somewhere B)
Croft316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:35 PM   #12
mldavis

I owned an Olds Calais International, HO Quad4. It would pull very hard, but you had to spin it and keep it revved to get at the power. Not much stump pulling low end torque, and it didn't launch very well at all.

Now if you don't have much power, and you have to keep the mill spinning in the 5-grand range all the time, and you put a sardine can on the exhaust, it sounds like your flying. No one seems to notice how long it takes to get up to speed.

Bottom line is -- they just "sound" fast after they're rolling.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:14 PM   #13
gto4show

Yeah they can get you in trouble. this past weekend i was on a by-pass with my girlfreind screaming faster , after she shut up for a few secounds and started screaming slow down i was doing 157. They traffic was low but i was swerving in and out and didn't even know i was going that fast. I wonder what i look like to the cars i was passing.
gto4show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:34 AM   #14
mldavis

I sincerely hope you were driving a straight line at 150 plus. Not much of anything can weave in and out of traffic at that speed and maintain control. :huh:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement