should i? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > New and Prospective Owner Forum

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
djr1126

should i?

looking into getting an 06 gto, black, manual. i currently drive an 03 bmw m3 with 60k miles. should i do it? ive driven the gto and like the amazing amount of tq. pros/ cons? any problems with ur gtos?

thanks!
DJ
djr1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
LS2weber

Send a message via Yahoo to LS2weber
Now that's a change M3 very nice car, you will got all your info on this forum trust me, I have had no problems with the car at all and love it, you will not get the same service as BMW. Turn in is not as good but the exit of the corner bettet and it cost less to maintain but you have to pay for your oil changes. People have had some front strut problems and trunk space sucks.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
mechanic58
Banned

I firmly believe that the new GTOs are THE most car for the money available today. Its going to be a shame when all the remaining leftover new ones are gone. I fear they are never going to resume production. A new BMW comparable in HP and performance to the GTO would likely cost more than twice as much, maybe even closer to three times. The GTO is an amazing car for the money.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
LS2weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic58
I firmly believe that the new GTOs are THE most car for the money available today. Its going to be a shame when all the remaining leftover new ones are gone. I fear they are never going to resume production. A new BMW comparable in HP and performance to the GTO would likely cost more than twice as much, maybe even closer to three times. The GTO is an amazing car for the money.
Could not of said it better.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
djr1126

thanks for the info--
its a hard decision because i hate to see my m3 go.

help me weigh the pros and cons-- add yours

pros
400hp v8
$28k + cost to maintain
modification potential (what can i do within warrenty?)

cons
service, oil change, ect
handling
Old 05-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
LS2weber

I have go to tell you really no reason to modify this car but the potential is huge if you feel the need.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
djr1126

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2weber
I have go to tell you really no reason to modify this car but the potential is huge if you feel the need.
okay

in your opinion should i let me m3 go?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
LS2weber

Man put me on the block, I will say this if you thinking about it I think you already have a choice, GTO. So I guess yes
Old 05-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
djr1126

argeed... i guess

anyone else have any insight?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 PM   #10
DeezGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by djr1126
looking into getting an 06 gto, black, manual. i currently drive an 03 bmw m3 with 60k miles. should i do it? ive driven the gto and like the amazing amount of tq. pros/ cons? any problems with ur gtos?

thanks!
DJ
Come on!!! What kind of answers did you really expect in this forum??

Um... no... keep your bmw so we all can smoke ya!!!

Of course you should get a goat. Why the hell not?!!
DeezGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
LS2weber

Hey Deez did you get the paint fixed?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #12
DeezGTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2weber
Hey Deez did you get the paint fixed?
Yes I did.

It looks great and so far.. no chipping.
I had to friggin dodge a huge cardboard box that was spit up from the car in front of me last week. It was headed right towards my beautiful hood! Thank God the GTO goes exactly where you put it and doesn't sway or anything.
DeezGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #13
6806goats

Dee has a good point. We are biased towards our cars. Is build quality to BMW specs? Pretty close from what I've seen in my car and far superior to our American built cars. The metal thickness reminds me of something from the 60's and they are solidly built. Creature comforts? Well they are kinda stripped down and you won't get climate controls or mp3 inputs with a stock radio. The Australian version has more features but then to get it to the States for a price we'd pay they had to leave some things out. Shop around for price too. I hear of $25,000 prices at some dealerships(one called me from the Northwest). HUGE band for the buck though. If you can cruise easy then mpg is pretty good for a car with this much hp. I can get 24-25 cruising steady at 75-80. Not sure what your M3 gets though. Be prepared for contests though as everyone seems to want a piece of the Goat. It's a great car to own but it ultimately comes down to your own preference. You have a good car that will last you lots of miles (in your M3) but if you want to sell then this is an excellent choice. This hasn't helped to much. I did however do a catch and release with a new 750I. I just didn't feel like playing on a dark freeway at 150 mph so I let him go. He had to be spoked though when he saw my Goat running up his tailend...and he had the jump. You might not be happy with cornering compared to your M3 but as mentioned before...it would cost a lot more to get a Beamer that performs like this. Then you could take the savings and do handling mods( hp too) and then really have something that would more than handle all your needs. I'm using this as justification as to why I don't buy a 500 hp Mustang. And the GTO is built so much better. May look like a Grand Am but hey we all like the look and the sleeper affect. Maybe this video will help ya. Good luck on your decision. If you do buy, I think you'll be very happy. Cheers. Hope this site still works. I'm using a satellite system for broadband. It works but I hate it. Way too slow!!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...a400b22471.htm
6806goats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
mechanic58
Banned

HEY...were you in the Navy? I was. 9 years. AMS1 (AW) Workman at your service. lol.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
6806goats

Yepper. Retired in 2004, AT1(AW). Spent too much time playing instead of making Chief. That alone should answer any questions about why I'm so goofy. LOL. 12 years at Whidbey, 4 in Japan USS Indy but in a VAQ outfit and then Cal Lab at Pt Mugu 1997-2000. Couple med cruises but the rest were WestPac's all carriers of course. See....I think one gal mentioned that more service people buy the GTO than normal. Maybe it's cuz we like Oz!!!! ;^)

Not trying to brag...ok yes I am.. but while on cruises I'd visit the AIMD metal shops and more than one AMS1 has mentioned that I do better work than some of their guys. I just like metal I reckon. Let's just say that the Indy has my perminent modifications.

Glad to meet you Airdale! To the rest of the Navy folks....Hey Shipmate chat us up! Other services too are most welcome. Cheers Matt

Oh and what are people using for picture mods. I used Paint and it's just too big of a pic to post here. I know there is a way to shrink this thing just too busy now to play with it.
6806goats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement