Advice on K&N - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Induction Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
timgjones

Thumbs down Advice on K&N

I am thinking about adding A K&N inflow system to my new '06 GTO,any advice on this would be great. I installed one on my '05 YUKON XL along with 3" flowmaster dual exaust and was very pleased.The throttle response improved nicely,picked up about 3 miles per gallon and of course it sounds great.Should i upgrade exaust system on my GTO,or just go with an inflow system now? Is there a better inflow system then K&N?Thanks.....
timgjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Moved this one.

I have the K&N on my 04 and I love it. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "cold" air induction more of a "greater air flow" induction.

I'm looking forward to when I get my catback exhaust to see how they both work in conjunction with each other.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
LA_Phantom

If I had it to do all over, I would have done long tube headers with the K&N CAI. Instead, I did the K&N...then Magnaflow catback. I like the sound very much, but before installation of my Kooks long tube headers and catted (high flow cats) mid-pipes, I felt ike I lost a bit of low end torque. I do not have anything to quantify this except for the seat of my pants.

In any event, the K&N fitment was fine. However, I have heard some complain that the intake tube was too close to a pulley. This caused a hole to be worn in the intake tube. I am not certain whether or not this is a model year issue. Also, I do not know if the discussion pertained to the K&N Air Charger system specifically.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
andyx181x

hey i got a question, im looking at KN website and they say the aircharger system aint legal in california, hence where i live so that aint a option. so when i looked at the typhoon series it says it isn't CARB exempt, meaning is it still illegal then? hate california's emission laws, they dont even work!
andyx181x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #5
formula79
Administrator

I like Volant because it has an airbox.
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
andyx181x

umm thanks?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
vrbleena

K&N seems to be the filter of choice over here.

Or King Dragon filters if you get them over there
vrbleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
LS2weber

Send a message via Yahoo to LS2weber
Watch your self on the CARB exempt, I paid extra for that on my other car just to find out that I would have to go to the smog ref. So I just but the stock box on for smog. One of the joys of CA living.
LS2weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
mechanic58
Banned

Um...a K&N air filter will not protect your engine. They are garbage and that is a fact. I can't believe so many people get on this bandwagon. You know what *I* do? IF I feel like I need to get more air into my engine...say at the dragstrip....I simply REMOVE the stock air filter, race, then re-install it. Works good, lasts LONGtime and it's FREE. And you won't wear your engine out prematurely. If you guys all wanna learn the hard way, suit yourself. :-)
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
LS2weber

One thing you must know about the K&N is that the oil on the filter will get on MAF and the MAF has a hard time burning the oil off.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

I'm not as pessimistic as mechanic.

I have 20K plus miles on the K&N filter in my GTO.

I have 50K plus miles on the K&N filter in my GTP.

ZERO engine problems if you make sure not to overoil it. Only problems are with people who see the need to go crazy with the filter oil. They will be the last filters I ever have to buy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #12
LS2weber

Very good point.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #13
andyx181x

KN has a lot to lose if their warranty doesn't meet expectations, and yea you obviously ram more air in the engine if you take the filter off. but were comparing this to an obvious over improvement on a restricted air box, you cant go wrong with KN cold air intakes. they work, i mean don't expect huge results but they benifet the car
Old 04-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
anmracing

I have to say that the K&N CAI combined with the RK Sport "Ram Air" hood helps cooler air get to the engine. The stock '04 flat hood certainly did force more engine air into the CAI but a major difference was realized when the hood was replaced.

Andrew
anmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
andyx181x

agreed, just go for it, however i feel for my fellow cali neighbors.the 05 model has been carb exempt but for the 06 the are still working on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement