Defective tire???? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Appearence/Ground Effects/Wheels

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
andyx181x

Defective tire????

Guys last night almost bought the farm, heading home from school tonight the moment i got on the freeway i hit something and it sounded like it just hit the under carriage of the car. About three minutes later noticed the steering wheel was tilted to the right even thought he car was straight, i figured it was a flat and slowed it down and pull it over as soon i was into city limits. Less then a minute the wheel turned more to the right and the rear wanted to fish tail, i started smelling burning rubber and bad vibrations rocking the car. Pull the GTO over and the tire itself was completely ripped off from the inside tire wall, and it was slowly being peeled off the rim. Here are some pics, I need your input if this was a defective tire. I believe it was cause if it was a puncture even on the side wall or a sharp cut the air should have left first and still stayed whole. This tire doesn't even have a 1000 miles on it yet.

Last edited by andyx181x; 09-23-2009 at 01:49 AM.
andyx181x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Hard to say, but glad you're alright. Could be but it would be hard to prove. Keep us informed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
FROROCKS

Nasty! Glad your alright. Seems strange, keep us apprised.
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
salbracht

Back in 2007 there were numerous reports of investigations about GTO tires rubbing against the struts causing wearing and blow-outs. Basically, the Commodore wheel wells were not designed for the large rims that Pontiac was squeezing into the GTO. I don't remember hearing what finally resulted from the investigation. Sorry to hear about it regardless. Glad your alright.
salbracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
andyx181x

Took the tire to the shop this morning, and the guy found a really small puncture in between the threads near the inside wall. Whatever I hit did pop the tire and it went flat, but what trips me out is how fast the tire went to getting ripped up like that. I am assuming with it flat, it moved left to right on the rim as I was driving and cause it to shear at the wall. However i still don't believe the damage should have been that sever so fast, so just for the hell of it they are sending the tire to the manufacture to check it out if it was my fault or theirs. May or may not get a free tire, lets hope for the better.

Moral of the story, the next time I see my steering wheel drifting off center I'm pulling the GTO over asap!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Yep things can get ugly in a hurry, best to play it safe. Who knows maybe they will find a defect but don't hold your breath. Remind us of the brand and size again.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Old 09-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
andyx181x

Dunlop Direzze DZ 101 for the 18" RIM
Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

That's right you had just gotten these recently correct? I've got the same type except 17 inchers and I think I've got about 10K miles on them. No issues as yours but they are wearing fast. They will probably be down to the wear bars at 15K. I like them but the stickier tires wear quicker. Keep us informed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement