Predator installed - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > 2004 GTO Specific General Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Cool Predator installed

Well I installed the canned Predator tune today and took it out for a quick spin to get some first impressions. I'll be taking it out shortly to get some G-Tech runs in to see if has improved my times or not.

First impressions:

1. First thing I noticed is at startup. Engine "lopes" and shakes a little more. I should have figured that, but I LIKE IT.

2. Midrange seems to have a little more kick to it. Haven't driven it enough to tell about low and high rpms.

3. From a 60mph roll I went WOT, A4 kicked down into 2nd and I actually got a 2-3 shift chirp. That's the first time that's happened. And it's a hot and muggy day here already, in cool air and a cooler road I may expect a little more.

Now I've got to go out and get some G-Tech times as well as use the real time monitoring features to make sure I'm not getting knock.

I'll let you all know what I find out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
mechanic58
Banned

Cool...how easy was it to use? I am curious about that as well.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Very easy to use. It walks you right through it. I haven't even messed around with the shift pressures/points and shift times yet. And I'm diggin' the 2-3 chirp I get now. (Hey throw us A4 owners a bone). I'm also very excited about the real time data, it's not like a full blown program like HP Tuners with the laptop and all, but I do like to see the IAT's, ECT's and Knock readings. In fact I just cruised through town today to get used to the real time data function and saw my IAT's jump up to 125 degrees a couple of times. It's about 95 degrees here today, hot muggy air is a b!tch. I'll let all know when I get some more info. SOTP dyno is not telling me much today as I said because the air is so d@mn worthless today. I'll be checking the forecast for the next cool front. Probably October

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
LA_Phantom

It seems that you have experienced a performance boost. I can't wait to read about the comparison to your baseline runs. Does the Predator log A/F? I would be curious to know what you had before the Predator tune. I guess I am curious to know how conservative the stock tune is.

-K

|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
gto n 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit Orange
Very easy to use. It walks you right through it. I haven't even messed around with the shift pressures/points and shift times yet. And I'm diggin' the 2-3 chirp I get now. (Hey throw us A4 owners a bone). I'm also very excited about the real time data, it's not like a full blown program like HP Tuners with the laptop and all, but I do like to see the IAT's, ECT's and Knock readings. In fact I just cruised through town today to get used to the real time data function and saw my IAT's jump up to 125 degrees a couple of times. It's about 95 degrees here today, hot muggy air is a b!tch. I'll let all know when I get some more info. SOTP dyno is not telling me much today as I said because the air is so d@mn worthless today. I'll be checking the forecast for the next cool front. Probably October
well it should be cooling down tomorrow for ya. the temps dropped to 77f today here in east nebraska so id say you may have a window of oppotunity sunday.
gto n 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Quote:
well it should be cooling down tomorrow for ya. the temps dropped to 77f today here in east nebraska so id say you may have a window of oppotunity sunday.
Well it did cool down, but with the cooler air came the rain and soaked roads. Hopefully I can get out this week in some cooler air.

Quote:
Does the Predator log A/F? I would be curious to know what you had before the Predator tune. I guess I am curious to know how conservative the stock tune is.
I don't think so unless I'm looking at the wrong things, I'll try to list the parameters it measure in real-time.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #7
mechanic58
Banned

you guys can download the Predator's user manual in PDF format for free, from the diablosport website. Might answer a lot of questions.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Well I did get 3 runs in this morning in the cooler air. (G-Tech) Air temp was down to about 70 this morning, much better than the 90 or so the other day when I tried to get some baseline runs before my Predator install. I noticed the IAT's read right at 80 degrees for my runs instead of 100 for the runs in the heat.

Todays results.

1st run: Embarrasing, I roasted the tires off a BT of about 1500 rpm. Makes me think the Predator has gotten rid of the torque management down low, it wasn't this bad/good before I installed the program.

2nd run: 13.51 @ 109.6, much better launch, but still had wheelspin

3rd run: 13.42 @ 110.8, nailed this launch with a BT @ 1250 rpms, it hooked and went, probably because the tires were warmed up by now. This is my 2nd fastest run on the G-Tech and bested a pre-Predator tune time of 13.48.

My only concern at this time is my trap speeds. (I know the G-Tech is way off on traps but you can still compare the speeds run to run.) Before the tune I recorded a 113.1 and 114.2 traps. After the tune I'm getting 108.6, 109.6 and 110.8. These are 3 to 4 mph off. I'm wondering if the canned Predator tune is freeing up my HP/TQ down low and in the mid range over the high rpm.

I still haven't messed around with shift parameters yet or any other tuning. I am going to reinstall the original tune and see if the trap speeds go back up. The thing is I ran a better time with the canned tune than without it. Sure wish I had a dyno to see what the deal is.

I'm also going to prep it next time like I would at a track. (Drop the rear tire pressures, lose the spare/jack and a bunch of other odds and ends, etc.) I'll see if I can't drop my times on the G-Tech. Keep y'all posted if you're interested.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit Orange
Keep y'all posted if you're interested.
I am definitely interested. I was pulling for you to drop into the 12s.

-K

|
|
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Quote:
I am definitely interested. I was pulling for you to drop into the 12s.
I wish!

Maybe headers and an underdrive pulley and I could be flirting. Of course these aren't true track runs either. Just have to hunt some Rustang GT's down now.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #11
mechanic58
Banned

Got my Predator this week and installed the "Tune" today. I hadn't driven the car in so long, it's hard to tell if it made a marked difference. lol...HOWEVER, the elimination of the CAGS made it WELL worth it. lol. Now all I gotta do is figure out how I'm going to lower my final drive ratio. I could easily just buy a 3.91 and pay 3 times what they're worth (compared to the average set of gears) or I could wait til this top secret 8.8" ford IRS retrofit becomes public knowledge....because THEN I could get a 4.30 like I want.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #12
mechanic58
Banned

Note: I already HAVE an 8.8" IRS Ford rearend, laying under the bench in my garage. lol.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #13
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic58
Got my Predator this week and installed the "Tune" today. I hadn't driven the car in so long, it's hard to tell if it made a marked difference.
Would you recommend the Predator as being worth the money if one were to pay retail ($399.99)?

-K

|
|
Old 06-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
mechanic58
Banned

I think so. But mainly because it allows you to recalibrate your speedo, if you wanna swap gears. You can disable several OBDII codes, so you can go without cats, etc. I got mine used. I only paid $180 for it. I'd probably be reluctant to pay $400 for one though. lol. Look around, you can pick them up much cheaper. Oh...btw....the '05 hood that I bought on ebay arrived destroyed. Looked like it got dropped off the truck, edgewise...from about 900' feet. Didn't accept it.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #15
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Just to update, no runs recently due to the Amazon jungle heat here. But I have removed torque management and bumped up shift pressures and lowered shift times by a hair. In fact I'm thinking of bumping them closer to the max to get some snap/bang shifts. I'm not sure I'll be brave enough, don't want to grenade the tranny yet, but we'll see.

Soon as I get some G-Tech times in a little cooler air I'll post them up. Cool fronts are few and far between this time of year around my area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement