Baby seat in the 04 GTO? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > NewAgeGTO Lounge

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Chevelleguy

I'm getting ready to buy an 04 and had to ask the question. Does a baby/child seat fit in the back pretty easily and how is it getting a child in and out of the seat? I have a 2000 Transam and it isn't that bad at all. Just wondering how the GTO was.....

Thanks -
Chevelleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
honkinunit

Funny you should ask. I was at the library Saturday and I started looking through some Consumer Reports magazines. It turns out they tested the GTO in the September 2004 issue! And one of the things they mentioned was that it would be difficult/impossible to get a baby seat in and out of the back. I would certainly try it if that is a big issue.

BTW, CR pretty much lambasted the GTO. I just laugh at that rag. Not only cars, but anything else they test. Find something you really know your stuff about, and check out their opinions on it. They are clueless.

I wish I had a copy of the road test they did in 1970 of a Boss 302 Mustang, a Cuda '340 and a Z/28. It was priceless. Their final take? "Stay Away From Muscle Beach".
honkinunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
goat kid

I've seen it done. Not too bad. Plenty of leg room for anyone back there, only hard part is getting the kids in and out. over 3, they should be able to climb right in on their own leaving you just to reach and buckle. Under 3, you would have to do some lifting. Go to a dealer and check it out.
goat kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
TheJizzer

I have a Baby-seat on the Drivers side of my car (back seat of course)...it has been there since the day I bought the car -- 4 months ago.. It has been in and out of the car 8 times

WITH NO PROBLEM AT ALL!

Who ever said it would be impossible never even tried..dumb asses! That kind of article sucks!

Anyway..I do not have the model of the Baby-seat in front of me but it basically looks like every other car seat that was on the shelf at Babies R Us. All you do is put the seat all the way forward with the side button, the push the seat back to the left (drivers seat), turn the car seat sideways and it goes right in with absolutely no problem at all.

My son is forward facing - so set up was very easy. I have never tried to put the seat in a rear facing position.

As for me getting him in and out (again forward facing) I just put my left foot in the car, leave my right foot on the ground, turn my upper body in and go behind the seat and snap him in -- takes about 10 seconds.

Rear facing would be about the same.
TheJizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
mario04gto

the problem you may have is getting the seat to the back. Once their you should be fine. Try putting it in between the front two seats, you will have better clearance. FYI, my son loves to drive in it.
mario04gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
jimshep

I had a '92 TA, which should have similar back seat dimensions as your 2000 TA. I find the GTO to be a better for carting the kids around than the TA. I transport my kids in the GTO on almost a daily basis. I have a 3 year old that uses a rather large full-sized forward facing car seat (he now uses the car's shoulder belt across the car seat instead of the built-in harness) and a 6 year old that uses a booster seat (really just a glorified phone book with padding and cup holders as it does not have a back).

The booster seat is obviously easy to get in. Just tilt the seat forward and put it in. One nice feature of the GTO is a shoulder belt clip that is attached midway up the rear seat. It can be used to keep the shoulder belt off of her neck and at a safer location across her chest. This feature is covered in the manual. My six year old can get into the back by herself (she loves to press the button to slide the front seat forward even if she diesn't need the extra space) and she can buckle and unbuckle herself easily.

The car seat is a little more difficult to get in the back, but not bad at all. I put it in today in only a few seconds. Just tilt the seat forward, push the button to slide the seat forward if needed, face the car seat forward, and 'cup' it around the back/headrest of the front seat. To 'cup' it, initially face the seat towards the drivers side as you begin to put it into the back and then rotate it so it faces forward as you move it in all the way. Once the seat is in the back, there is plenty of room to move it around. My 3 year old can get into the back by himself as long as I hold the front seat forward. Once in the back, he climbs into the seat and then I lean in to buckle him in (sometimes placing one foot into the back as a previous poster mentioned). I have found it easier to unbuckle him from the driver's seat. This way he can get out of the seat while I go around to open the passenger door. One warning about buckling a car seat into the back: If you pull all of the belt out, the belt goes into a "rachet" mode. You have to let the belt recoil all the way back in before you can pull it out again. If the belt gets caught around the arm rest of the car seat while the belt is recoiling so that you need some slack to get the belt off, you can be in for some tough manuevering.

My kids love the GTO much more than the TA. With the exception of going to the pool with the top down (it was a convertible), they generally didn't like riding in the TA because the back was so small that their feet would hit the back of the front seats. With the GTO they have plenty of leg room, even with adults sitting comfortably in the front. In fact, we have been using the GTO more than our Montana for short distance family outings (they like the entertainment center in the Montana better on longer trips).

One recommendation: get seat savers for the car seats. These are very thick rubber mats that fit under the car seats and do a great job of protecting the leather seats from getting permenant indentations. We got these at Babies R Us, but I'm sure they're available at most places that sell car seats. We learned the hard way with a previous car.
jimshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #7
TandA

I'd bring the car seat to the dealership, I've done that before. I have 2 car seats in my T/A, works quite well as a family car, Lol. The kids love the LS1, "Daddy go fast!"
TandA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
johnh

Quote:
Kids love the LS1

Yes they do...my two older boys are always yelling go fast. They love the GTO. They love having bucket seats.

My youngest still uses the baby seat..it will work...the only hard part is getting the seat into the car. The Latch system in the GTO is easier than on my GP or Montana. As stated above with the baby you kinda have to lean/step half in the back of the car....easily doable..
johnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 PM   #9
pruettfan

I have a car seat in mine and it works OK. I have a fused back so I am lucky to have a 5 year old that can put her seat belt on by herself.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement