GTO to go on Hiatus before new one comes out? - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > Press Room > Latest Site/GTO Relevant News!

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-28-2005, 03:05 AM   #16
Nocturn

I refuse to believe it, While there are sources saying the opposite, it doesn't mean it will go through. I can't believe that the car Lutz pushed for would go again, leaving Pontiac with a FWD Grand prix which tops at what 35K being the top model?

Wasn't Pontiac the PERFORMANCE DIVISION?!

Why should Pontiac loose its flagship, just because chevy wants another car.

It just doesn't make sence, not when Buick is getting a car based on the same platform.

I say its mere heresy, I doubt not that the GTO will stay, if not then its like GM is rolling over and dieing to the imports with Pontiac. The image of their comeback will be dead as their flagship is canceled after 3 years of production.

I for one don't believe GM would allow such a thing, they more than anyone know the need of a good image, and killing the GTO would be like changing Caddie commercials to play its hip to be square instead of break free.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2005, 06:04 AM   #17
nsap

I heard that the GTO was originally suppose to be priced around the $25K range, but from the time of devlopement to production the US Dollar went way down, causing the price to go way up.

Not sure if that is true, but I suppose it is.
nsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:20 AM   #18
mldavis

Production planning is dicey. It takes a couple of years to ramp up from scratch. What happens to oil markets? Will $4 gas kill all of the performance market? What about emissions requirements on a federal level? Lots of things to guess at when planning new models.

Another thing is that there have been many years since the "muscle cars" of the past. New drivers in my part of the country are buying Hemi pickups and 'Stangs if they can afford new ones. Those who can't drive rice rockets. One can only hope that the recent NASCAR craze will help and that over time, these cars become "cool" again in their sophisticated form. The original GTO was a cheap body with a big engine. This Goat is a quiet, tight, solid, slick handling car whose price fits it's level of competence. GM simply must stick it out and let some BMW drivers see what $10-20K less money will get them. If GM can't lure the import buyers back, they won't sell many. But they won't get the showroom traffic unless they do some serious advertising. They spend millions on the G6, why not do a performance ad for the CompG, G6, GTO as a family?

I wrote a review of the '05 for epinions.com. It's how I feel about it. I wish GM was half as enthusiastic about the car as I am.

http://www.epinions.com/2005_Pontiac_GTO/d...isplay_~reviews
mldavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2005, 08:50 AM   #19
Sting2114

This a bunch of bull. If they cancel the GTO, I will no longer buy a GM family product.

I guess it's time for me to start my search again for my next sports car. I am not going to go waste money on a Vette either (sorry, don't want to be a a-hole like some of their owners are becoming, just check out their sites).
Sting2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:57 AM   #20
jimshep

What is the future of the Holden Monaro? The current GTO is a rebadge of the Monaro and I believe that both the GTO and Monaro were to be built off of the same Zeta platform. So if GM s****s the GTO, wouldn't the Monaro also likely get s****ped? This seems unlikely. Has there been any good information on the next Monaro design?

Edit: I didn't know that s c r a p is a bad word.
jimshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:59 PM   #21
pupp1

IMO they should not kill the GTO untill they have a replacement such as a Firebird.
And even then I still don't think should do away with it.
But the market doesn't seem to have a place for the GTO.
I guess GM's market researcher needs to be replaced.
Also IMO the GTO would have been a success if a few things were done differently.
:flush:
pupp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:57 PM   #22
TheJizzer

Quote:
Originally posted by pupp1@Feb 28 2005, 02:59 PM
Also IMO the GTO would have been a success if a few things were done differently.
:flush:
YES AND IF GM WOULD HAVE LISTENED! The 2004 would have been a massive hit!

Ok -- count to 10.....9...8.....7........6........5....... h34r:

GM needs a better grip on things. Or Toyota will be taking over! They (GM) has everyting it takes to be #1 in the world - they just need to step up!
TheJizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #23
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

I'm not buying it.

When an announcement is made I'll believe it.

From everything I've heard or read GTO will be coming on the Zeta platform. Don't everyone go off in a snit yet.

And don't put this thought out of your mind either. Wouldn't it be good tactic for someone to leak out the "possible" demise of the GTO in order to bump up current sales? Just a thought.

I really didn't see anything concrete in those posts, all conjecture and heresay. Solid irrefutable proof is needed.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #24
bing

I've got mine. I've got it how I like it. If GM wants to stop making the GTO it's their loss. I'll wait for the press release.

The one I want is the one that was built for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Has anyone heard if that car will be auctioned off at Kruse International or anything like that?
bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #25
coswac

just want to say mldavis , i read your review on eopions . great article !!! maybe if the reviews in the auto rags would have been written this objectively , maybe we wouldn't even be talking about the possible demise of the gto ....
coswac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #26
mldavis

Aw, shucks

This is one beautiful car. Tight, quiet, a BMW beater. It needs some more advertising in the right places. The C/D back cover just shows a Phantom Black at speed with 400HP at the top. What does that say to the Bimmer drivers? Kids car. If you could get a BMW owner into one of these, they'd love it, unless they think their logo is worth ten G's. It's a bit upscale for drag racers and a bit pricey for youngsters with families. The target market doesn't seem to be getting the info on the car. What is Pontiac doing about it? Heck, they ought to pay me for writing their review. I love my '05. Everyone who sees it comments on it. But few really know what it is, just that it looks nice and the seats are cool. Cut the hot rod advertising and sell it for what it is. The LS2 just happens to come with it. :angry:
mldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:09 PM   #27
sickgoatlover

I have just one point. Why would this information be leaked out before hardly 1k units of the 05' GTO have been purchased? Now that this speculation is out, GM is going to have to come up with some wicked incentives to buy a vehicle that will be out of circulation. This makes no sense to me. Bring back a legend half a$$ed and you get half a$$ed sales. Take the time and money to make suggested improvements and then dump the project? I love my car. I totally hate GM's marketing. They could have asked my daughter, my wife, and I to do a better job with an ad design or commercial. $hit! My 20 month old daughter knows all her animal sounds. "What does a cow say?" "MOOO" "What does a kitty say?" "Meow!" "What does a goat say?" "VRRRRRROOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!" It will be a rough preschool year, but she could market the car better then GM!
sickgoatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #28
AnthonyHSV

Quote:
Originally posted by jimshep@Mar 1 2005, 02:57 AM
What is the future of the Holden Monaro? The current GTO is a rebadge of the Monaro and I believe that both the GTO and Monaro were to be built off of the same Zeta platform. So if GM s****s the GTO, wouldn't the Monaro also likely get s****ped? This seems unlikely. Has there been any good information on the next Monaro design?

Edit: I didn't know that s c r a p is a bad word.
Zeta Holdens are out next year, it would be up to Holden in they wanted to produce a 2-door Zeta
AnthonyHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #29
GTO 2Fast4U

Hey, i have some information for you... The GTO is going to be here for so many year, GM have good plan for the new 2007 GTO, wait to see that one...
Have a good day...
GTO 2Fast4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:19 AM   #30
Transam9585

Wow ever since the demise of the Fbody alot of people are hard on slow selling GM cars. The GTO is only a limted run of years anyway. GM planned on it that way. THe figured it would take 2-3 years for the GTO platform to really hit stride. They did not by anymeans rush into the GTO and just throw it out there. Its a nitch market vehical. Those who really want one, will go get one. GM knows this. You cant compare the GTO to the Fbodies they arent the same or marketed as the same. Id bet all my cars that the GTO stays around for the duration of GM plan from day one for it.
Transam9585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement