Clutch burning - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Transmission/Driveline Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
northwoodgto

I am new to the forum and have a question. I own an 05 GTO and I am still learning the personality of the car. I tried to launch the car at around 3 grand and got nothing but clutch burn. The TCS was off. I am wondering if this is common.
northwoodgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
GTPprix

Doesnt sound right, bring it to me and I'll fix it How many miles are on it? I'm wondering if the clutch is even broken in yet.
GTPprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
northwoodgto

The car has 3,000 miles, give or take a few.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:24 PM   #4
GTPprix

Is it in Midland? hehe
Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
northwoodgto

Not in Midland. I am in the home of the other Northwood University. West Palm FL
Old 03-30-2005, 10:30 PM   #6
scot254

Quote:
Originally posted by GTPprix@Mar 30 2005, 11:10 PM
Doesnt sound right, bring it to me and I'll fix it How many miles are on it? I'm wondering if the clutch is even broken in yet.
Sometimes I wish I were back in the motor city /state. Got an engine/transmission problem, let me se what I can do...

Soon maybe.
Idle Clip:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Corvette - Torch Red - A6-- Cam, Headers, Exhaust
419/415

2013 Ford Focus - Grey Metallic
scot254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #7
GTPprix

Ah ****t, I was gonna say if you were here just bring it over and I can check the clutch. To answer your question if you simply dumped it, not slipped it out at 3000 it shouldnt burn the clutch, especially with 3000 miles on it. You might want to take it to the dealer and have them check out the pressure plate, I've seen some LS2's with improperly torqued pressure plates already.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
northwoodgto

I will drive as is for the remainder of the week and if I feel any more problems I will consult the dealership. Thanks for the input and I will keep you updated.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:21 PM   #9
Nocturn

You may have not let the clutch out completely. It can be tricky if your not used to the car, but if you have 3K miles on it you should know it well enough by now. You can always try it again at a lower RPM to see if it will spin the tires.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
northwoodgto

the clutch is continuing to slip so I am taking it in on Monday. Haven't even driven the car hard and I smell the clutch burn every time I get out of the car. It is begining to get real touchy also.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
anmracing

I agree with Nocturn. Either that or you rev'ed it too high for too long before you dumped the clutch. If its slipping then you may have burned the pressure plate. The pressure plate (clutch disk) might need to be replaced and turn the fly wheel.
anmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:28 PM   #12
04bostonsound

you cant get it to burn out? man i wish i had that problem, i would have hundreds of dollars in my pocket right now. has anyone tried a second gear burnout? ive done one and it was rediculously long and awesome.
04bostonsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 AM   #13
carnivore80

I accidentally let the clutch slip kinda long at about 3500-4000 rpm the other day. I was at a stop about to make a turn, slipped it into first no problem and started to make the turn. But then as I was letting the clutch out going into second, I saw traffing coming up behind me pretty quickly, so I gave it more gas but I didn't let the clutch out any faster because I didn't want to fish tail too much or have the TC slow me down. I guess I kinda freaked because I gave it way more gas than I wanted to and by the time I realized what I was doing I had let it slip for maybe a second or so at that high RPM before I was finally in gear. I smelled that burning smell and now I feel like the friction point on the clutch is a little bit different. I don't know if I am just being hyper-sensitive and imagining that something is different or if what happened could have actually hurt my clutch. Any ideas?

BTW--I can still do burn outs and it will still chirp in second and third, so that's ok.
carnivore80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:08 AM   #14
M Night B

You probably lost a few thousand miles of clutch life, but if this was the only time it happened you should be fine.
M Night B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #15
mldavis

The clutch should be in or out, not part way. The LS2 has so much torque that you don't need to "feather" it unless you are in the wrong (higher) gear. Also make sure you don't get into the bad habit of resting your left foot on the clutch pedal while driving. Some people have that habit left over from driving slushboxes. No offense. Just think about what you're doing. A manual transmission is more efficient than an auto, but it does take some thought and planning when you're driving until you get used to it and its operation becomes second nature.

Me? I forgot how to drive automatic transmissions decades ago. And I've NEVER had to replace a clutch (see mileage on vehicles below).
mldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement