exhaust. - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > LSx Engine Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:00 AM   #1
78gto

I just got gto a little over a month ago, and this is my 1st sport car. I want to start by upgrading my car starting with the brakes. What brakes are good or should i just change rotors and pads? EXHAUST: i also want upgrade my exhaust, i've seen some exhaust on the web, but which one is the best? I don't want it to sound to loud from the inside. Should I go with cats or with out? CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL: im also look for a good clutch and flywheel. I 've seen one on TBYRNE MOTORSPORT, and I was thinking about going with stage 3. Can anyone give me some suggestion and ideas?
B)
78gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
Nocturn

Depends on if your wanting power or not, and if your state is doing emissions testing at all, and waht your budget is. Brakes, you will want to upgrade caliper,rotor, and pads for a complete upgrade.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
TheJizzer

What year is your car?
TheJizzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
78gto

To the jizzer my gto is an 04 yellow jacket color.
As far my budget not tight with with cash, and I am looking for power and sound. As far as emission test in tx I really don't know. I know that the brakes for the 04 are not that good. So, what kind braking do you recommend?
:huh:
Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #5
Nocturn

What city? I know Texas is switching to emissions testing in almost every major city.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 09-07-2005, 05:17 AM   #6
78gto

DALLAS FORT WORTH.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:27 AM   #7
TheJizzer

Ok my opinions....

I like the Corsa exhaust with or without Headers.
I like the Magnafow with headers.

The 05 Break upgrade is very popular. Change your breaks for the breaks on a 05. Baer makes some pretty good ones but I have heard a lot of "cracking" stories on their slotted rotors. So if you get Baer get the solid rotors.

As for power, with a CATBACK and no other mods you are not going to gain much power. Instead of dropping the $$ on the catback you would be better off with a CAM and a set of LT headers.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
78gto

I really like the breaks on the 05 and I think GM did a good job. The dealer should have the breakes, and will it affect the ABS on the 04 models? If I can't get the 05 breakes for my car, I will go with power slot rotors and hawk pads. How about Borla and Flowmasters what do you think about these two items? The exhaust I will upgrading them next month for sure and the breaks this month and I would lik to change the 04 bumper for the 05 bumper. Also I thinkin about adding k&N intake.

I'm so new to the muscel car age specially to the GTO. This my 1st sports car I've own. So, bear with me. I need some guidence.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
TheJizzer

I am not big on the Borla, Flowmaster or SLP exhaust. Not that they are not good - I just like the sound of Corsa and Magnaflow. I think right now the Corsa has the HP/TQ advantage (by a hair) but a hair is all you need to win. But I am still going with the Maganflow.

If you are upgrading your bumper MAKE SURE! you research your catback before buying the bumper or the exhaust.

As for the breaks -- the 2005 GTO breaks are good enough for the 2005 Corvette , they are good enough for me! Slotted rotors are cosmetic if you ask me. Get solid. Unless you are going for the look. They warp, crack and wear faster. The ABS abd what not will be fine with the 05 upgrade. You will need some modifications but thet=y are not that hard.

As for the K&N -- not for me... I would get the Lingenfelter before the K&N.

Posted by 78GTO
"I'm so new to the muscel car age specially to the GTO. This my 1st sports car I've own. So, bear with me. I need some guidence."

Not a problem -- I will answer any questions you have to the best of my knowledge...

TEKGTO is a good source of info also....
Old 09-07-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
78gto

Why are catback so important for changing the bumper?

Breakes not that much intrest in looks but for more stopping performance.

I'll look into Lingenfelter. Is that what you have in your GTO?

As far as exhuast I really want performance. Have you already gotten your magnaflow yet? if did can you post a media sound?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
TheJizzer

Quote:
Originally posted by 78gto@Sep 7 2005, 10:11 PM
Why are catback so important for changing the bumper?

Breakes not that much intrest in looks but for more stopping performance.

I'll look into Lingenfelter. Is that what you have in your GTO?

As far as exhuast I really want performance. Have you already gotten your magnaflow yet? if did can you post a media sound?
Do not quote me but I believe there are only so many options for a 2004 - 2005 Catback exhaust change. - I could be wrong.

For stopping I still like the 2005 upgrade. If you search for pricing you can get the whole set for ~$500 including rotors/cali

Performance in an exhaust CORSA hands down on a basically stock car. I have not received my Magnaflow yet -- but I do have Stock/moded/ will have moded magnaflow clips.. I will post them as soon as I ge the exhaust on.

I have a modified Stock CAI on my car right now. I know at least 5 people with the lingenfelter and it has the lowest IAT temps.

BUT

I am working on a modified Stock box to get lower temps. It will be a lot cheaper but a little ghetto also. I have had the Gravanna intake (tubing too small), Speed Induction Intake (pulls too much hot air)...now my creation -- need some experimentation.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
Nocturn

Its important to research catbacks as exhaust for an 05 wont fit an 04 and vise versa...and don't expect any horepower gains from the catback either, the GTO's stock exhaust is pretty good so the most iv seen people getting is around 10-12.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
silverstreek

Hey Global;I'm interested in what your doing to the stock air box to make it perform better.It was easy to modify the air box on my 2000 Corvette as some mags had pictures of different home mods that worked as good as expensive aftermarket parts.I don't ever want to put K&N,etc on my 04 goat,too much mess and too much dirt gets through anyway.Please explain how your doing it.Thanks
silverstreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 03:28 AM   #14
04GOATGERM

I'll be getting StainlessWorks LT headers, Quicktime cutouts, and Spintech side-exit mufflers as soon as I get back from the middle east.
04GOATGERM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:33 PM   #15
anmracing

I like the way the SLP turned out. No noise inside the car and with the K&N, what a diff it made in the way it sounds.

http://media.putfile.com/2K4GTO61
Make sure to turn up the speakers for this....

Andrew
anmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement