poor GM - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > NewAgeGTO Lounge

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
andyx181x

poor GM

everyday it gets more depressing seeing the news in the morning on how much closer GM is to being bankrupt, just when they got their act together from the fuel prices the economy turns for worst and hits them harder. never thought this would happen, anybody think the government will step in time to help GM?
andyx181x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
04JRB

I sure hope so, I live in Metro Detroit. If GM goes south, there will be atleast a 20% unemployment rate here. Thats 1 in f'ing 5 people in my area, thats not good. Just the GM tech center alone employs thousands of people. Our economy in the Detroit area is among the worst in the US right now, and it certainly isnt getting better.

If any of the big 3 were to go under, our country will be in serious trouble. Possible taking this from a recession to a depression.

I think that we should put a tax on import cars like the Japanese do to american cars. They make it so we couldnt compete by the time all the taxes are added. This might make more people in the US think about the big three again when it comes time to buy another car.
04JRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
andyx181x

i agree, the argument right now that they won't help them is because they already got 25 billion and they haven't changed their management plans to be better off where they are right now. in other words that it's their fault they are losing money for making poor decision, but thats a crock when for the last two years they been working on making newer models that are suppose to come in 09 and 10

Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
cncmasterofor

Back in the day when we went to lean manufacturing. Toyota was the example of what to do. And unfortunately GM was the example of what not to do. Now I forget all the numbers. But Toyota can produce a vehicle under 1 minute. At a very low cost. The vechiles are well made. Costumer service is great. And they get good MPG. GM's customer service sucks. MPG suck and your always going in for warranty work.

We have five GM vechiles in our house hold. From 1980 to 2006. All of them have been in for work repetitively. Yet the 2002 KIA and the 1996 Jeep have not. Even this die hard family is starting to second guess.

Years ago GM toured Toyota to convert to Lean Manufacturing. Spent billions on it and didn't follow through. Either you do or you don't. The problem I mostly see is that companies try to half fast it. And wonder why it doesn't work. Including the company I used to work for. Now a company like Leatherman tool did it right. Even in today's economy they are still thriving.

IMO GM is way off. They just aren't adapting fast enough for today's/tomorrows market. They just take too long and have become followers instead of leaders. I'm hopping that they get there act together before its too late. I would hate to see a foreign company buy out GM.

Last edited by cncmasterofor; 11-16-2008 at 08:28 AM.
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
mechanic58
Banned

Yugo just rolled their last production car off their line this week....I'm sure they've got an ass-pocket full of cash....perhaps a purchase is in their future.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
andyx181x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmasterofor
Back in the day when we went to lean manufacturing. Toyota was the example of what to do. And unfortunately GM was the example of what not to do. Now I forget all the numbers. But Toyota can produce a vehicle under 1 minute. At a very low cost. The vechiles are well made. Costumer service is great. And they get good MPG. GM's customer service sucks. MPG suck and your always going in for warranty work.

We have five GM vechiles in our house hold. From 1980 to 2006. All of them have been in for work repetitively. Yet the 2002 KIA and the 1996 Jeep have not. Even this die hard family is starting to second guess.

Years ago GM toured Toyota to convert to Lean Manufacturing. Spent billions on it and didn't follow through. Either you do or you don't. The problem I mostly see is that companies try to half fast it. And wonder why it doesn't work. Including the company I used to work for. Now a company like Leatherman tool did it right. Even in today's economy they are still thriving.

IMO GM is way off. They just aren't adapting fast enough for today's/tomorrows market. They just take too long and have become followers instead of leaders. I'm hopping that they get there act together before its too late. I would hate to see a foreign company buy out GM.
I completely understand what your saying, i'm taking a quality management and industrial leadership classes, and i learned a lot of how the japanese got their act together and GM and the other car companies in typical american fashion got lazy. however what i'm arguing is they say GM hasn't changed or tried to since the gas crisis, and i believe they got their act together as they are restructuring and working on a new line of cars that won't come out till 09-10. did they act late? yes. but are they learning? yes. just they need this second chance, it will take a long time for people to trust their quality again, but if they want to be proud of their name they will have to shape up and adapt.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
cncmasterofor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx181x
I completely understand what your saying, i'm taking a quality management and industrial leadership classes, and i learned a lot of how the japanese got their act together and GM and the other car companies in typical american fashion got lazy. however what i'm arguing is they say GM hasn't changed or tried to since the gas crisis, and i believe they got their act together as they are restructuring and working on a new line of cars that won't come out till 09-10. did they act late? yes. but are they learning? yes. just they need this second chance, it will take a long time for people to trust their quality again, but if they want to be proud of their name they will have to shape up and adapt.

Even with the new line of cars that come out in 09-10. Will it be the cars of today or tomorrow? My guess is it would be the cars of today coming out tomorrow. If that is the case, then what lesson was learned? It would be a day late and 156 billion dollars short. They need to skip a step and come out with the cars of tomorrow today.
Do we the people need to bail out the American auto industry? I believe so. If we don't it would catastrophic for all of us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72cHfOKoA1c
But there needs to be a clear plan of action. Reconstruct it from top to bottom. Including all these lame ass dealerships.
Maybe have the government put a tax on these imports. Work closely with the U.S. auto makers to give them a heads up on future requirements. And start pushing to buy American products. When possible, I always buy American made products.

Last month I took our 01 Chevrolet Venture to the dealer to have the air conditioner serviced. They quoted me $50. That was fine because we had a credit of $50 from when they over charged us on our last visit. When I pick up the van, the bill is just over $250. No call, no nothing. What did they do? They only recharged the system. Then the paper work now states "original quote $250". And they deny our $50 credit from before. By the time everything was said and done I pain $100 and got the hell out of there.

That is GM's store front. What good is giving them 25 billion dollars if we all experience something like that? Ive gone to several Pontiac and Chevy dealers with similar experiences. Yet when I went to Toyota/Scion to look for a car for the GF. My experience there was pleasant and inviting. Now I cant speak about Ford, Chrysler, ect. But, I believe we should give the industry the 25 billion and come in with a bulldozer and reconstruct it.

I guess my point is. New fuel efficient cars is not enough. They need to think and act ahead of time. Knock down and rebuild their entire structure and thought process. And fix these lame ass store fronts!
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
andyx181x

100% agree again, i was just stating they are changing their car designing and roll out, but everything needs to change from management to the dealerships as well. because they were ranked #1 auto maker doesn't give the right to treat customers poorly, cause there is no more brand loyalty
Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Quote:
cause there is no more brand loyalty
There is definitely brand loyalty. Those of us who are are taking a beating though.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement