TIRE WEAR - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > Readers Rides and GTO Registry Discussion

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #16
asktk

yeah - know I'm giving up some traction for the AS capabilities. General plan is to throw the KUMHO's on stock 17 rims to get through winter, then get some summer tires on custom rims - 18's for fair weather play. I don't usually drive my GTO in snowy weather - instead driving my Inifinity QX56 - but my 2 1/2 year old twins started pre-school 2 days a week, so there's a chance the wife will need the truck and I'll have to white-knuckle it the 76 miles round-trip to work on a foul weather day. My stock BFG's have 19k miles on them, and not enough tread to make it through winter.
asktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #17
Gas-Tires-n-Oil

Tire cupping

I had tire wear on the insides also. This, I found out, is due to the front tires being aligned with a negative camber from the factory. This apparently is to help with turn-in on corners for better handling. Since I don't drive this on the track and just around town, I told the dealer to take the negative camber out of the front tires and take it back to 0. I wanted to do this because I was replacing the rear tires (funny how those tend to wear out faster if you extend your tire rotations!) but at the time noticed the severe wear on the inside of the fronts. I put the new tires up front and the old ones put in back because they still had usable tread. It has been three months since the alignment and I have had no wear issues on the front tires and really no noticable difference in handling for around town. I just have to replace the rear tires pretty soon.
Gas-Tires-n-Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #18
asktk

Just replaced my KDWS with Continental ContiExtremeContact AS tires. Decided against the KUHMO's based on negative reviews. I live in Pennsylvania, and may have to drive in snow - so had to sacrifice some traction to AS with 400 treadwear.

Interesting thing was that while my KDWS still appeared to have tread, when they pulled the tires off, the belts were exposed on the inside edges.

I had them do a 4 wheel alignment - and was amazed at the difference in driveability. Previously the steering felt very heavy, but now I can drive it with 2 fingers. Again, realize I've given up some handling, but new tires every 22,500 miles can get a bit expensive.
asktk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #19
theonlygtoindelta

hey i just signed up here... i got a 2006 gto with 13000 miles on it and by the time it hit 15K my rear tires had the insides wore out all the way to the threads. the front ones are good. any ideas???
theonlygtoindelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #20
FROROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlygtoindelta
hey i just signed up here... i got a 2006 gto with 13000 miles on it and by the time it hit 15K my rear tires had the insides wore out all the way to the threads. the front ones are good. any ideas???
With the GTOs Independent Rear Suspension and a heavy foot on the thottle, your going to wear the insides of the rear tires fast. Went through my first pair at 9K. Try rotating them sooner or lighten up on the right foot.
I haven't been able to master the latter!
PS- Welcome aboard!
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #21
Wretched 6.0

Send a message via AIM to Wretched 6.0
2 things make inside tire wear an issue
1. front tire wear from bad radius rod bushings
2 rear tire wear from crappy ass oe springs, replacing them with 0 drop springs that raise it back up and don't allow it to sag under accell as much will help greatly.
Comfort - Sirius Sportster5
Handling - Completely PEDDERIZED Suspension

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wretched 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #22
FROROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched 6.0
2 things make inside tire wear an issue
1. front tire wear from bad radius rod bushings
2 rear tire wear from crappy ass oe springs, replacing them with 0 drop springs that raise it back up and don't allow it to sag under accell as much will help greatly.
How is the ride with the aftermarket springs?
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #23
Wretched 6.0

stiffer, but not harsh

Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #24
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Quote:
How is the ride with the aftermarket springs?
I can't vouch for the Pedders 0 drop rears, but I assume they are similar to the King 0 drops I have on the rear. The ride is stiffer, more "poised", but not overly harsh. I had the rear shocks replaced at the same time with some Monroe Sensa-Tracs and am very happy with this setup. I also have the SLP rear sway and bushings set on the firmest setting as well. I really like the taut feeling it has in the back.

Quote:
I'm very curious about this as I'm close to getting new tires. The old rear springs had some slight sag and the rears would wear in the center section of the tire. Can't wait to see if the new springs improve the wear pattern of the new tires. Can't wait to ditch my worn BFG g-Sports for some new rubber.

And so Wretched doesn't freak out, I do plan on doing front suspension someday as well (I'm sure he would suggest it), but the wallet dictates the mods.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM   #25
Wretched 6.0

i don't freak out much, lol

What kind of tires are you planning on?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #26
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Quote:
What kind of tires are you planning on?
I'm planning on a less pricey tire again, since I plan on only getting about 20K miles max. I've been thinking about Dunlop Direzza DZ101's or Falken FK452's or stepping up to BFGoodrich g-Force KDW's. I'm looking around a 300 wear rating or so and I'm also looking for a lighter tire. The old BFGoodrich g-Force Sports were VERY good for the first 8 to 10K miles. Recently they are wearing poorly (could be suspension related of course) and getting some road noise and "whump-whumping" for lack of a better term. Keeping Summer only tires on year-round is pushing it in my area of the country. We don't get much snow and if we do I'll use the El Camino as the "snow-beater". Playing with a limited budget sucks but I still have fun.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Last edited by Orbit Orange; 03-19-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #27
Wretched 6.0

As for your noise, run your hands around the inside of the tire, i bet you'll find the front tires inner edge is cupped

If that's the case it can be fixed but parts will need to be installed.

As for the tires,
Don't be fooled by the treadwear rating. The treadwear rating can only be used to compare tires from the same manufacturer.

If a Bridgestone is 140, and you find another Bridgestone that is 280, then that should last twice as long.

If you find a BFG that is 280 it doesn't compare at all, expect to other BFG's.

It's all a bit wacky, but that's how it is.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #28
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

There is a slight bit of wear on the insides of both fronts. It's not bad yet. Looks like the alignment I had 20K miles ago is still "holding" so to speak. I know it will get worse with age so someday I'll be paying you guys a visit and getting a few of your products for the front suspension. Wanted to hear that I bet. Just wish you were closer when the time comes. I appreciate your advice and glad you are a good resource to have here at the site.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #29
Wretched 6.0

Are there any shops close to you that you can recommend?

We are always on the look out for new shops that will be a good fit with us,

Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #30
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Can't really say I can around my area. I'll keep my eyes open and look around but when it comes to "performance" shops they are basically limited to Truck lift kit outfits and body shops that seem to close about a year after they open. Slim pickins down here.

I believe you have some dealers/installers in the St.Louis area???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement