New Competition for GTO coming ... - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > NewAgeGTO Lounge

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
salbracht

New Competition for GTO coming ...

NAIAS will definately be interesting this year.

Here is the writeup including company provided concept drawing.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-388656.htm

Here are the spypics of the concept heading to Detroit in January.
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103629

Steve
salbracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

Firstly, thanks for the links to the pics.

Now to comment on the concept.

I have heard this is a virtual go ahead for the 2010 model year. Unfortunately the GTO will have been out of production for 3 years at that time as we will see no GTO past 2006 model year. It would be nice if the rumors are true about an 08 or 09 model year next gen GTO based on Zeta to go head to head against this thing.

This happens to be in my opinion another example of "Retro Gone Wild". It might as well be a 1970 Challenger freshened up for 2010. The retro crowd will I'm sure love this heap. As for me, that side view is hideous with the over-tall rear quarter with the "retro" lines. Of course I like the color I've haven't met many Oranges I haven't liked. Why not just bring back the tooling of the 70 Challenger body and stick it on an upgraded chassis with their new "HEMI".

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes to all the Boomers trying to relive their "Glory Days". It's not for me though. I don't mind if a future GTO has some retro or heritage cues, but I don't want to see a warmed over 66/67 bodystyle or the 68/72 one either.

D@MNIT GM, keep the GTO alive and make it a MODERN GTO with cool modern styling. If a baby boomer wants a 70 Challenger or a 69 GTO or a 68 Junkstang, let him/her go buy it. Leave the new iron to us so we can set a new standard in musclecar culture, not a re-warmed shadow of the past.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
Nocturn

Agreed, another mustang wannabe without a trace of originality.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
KFREY1

I have to disagree with you on this. If they look like the one in the pic does, I'd be in line waiting for the doors to open. Esp that burnt copper color with the blacked out hood!
KFREY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
Nocturn

Well I think we were just telling our opinions...I have no doubt if priced right that it will sell...the media already puts the Charger ahead of the GTO despite the GTO being faster in every category, and 5 grand cheaper.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:34 PM   #6
FROROCKS

It's a Concept.

We'll have to wait and see, how it will finally will be released. Just like the Mustang, it looked and performed a little different, than the concept. If the Challenger has the performance that they are stating(horses and weight), it should be a challenge................but by the time it's released, I should be SUPERCHARGED!!!!
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #7
SiDeWaYzGTO

Well if there is no new GTO to stomp on that thing (which actually looks pretty good IMHO, i still prefer the GTO's styling) then maybe we'll have a Camaro or Firebird out to stomp on it. "Fast on Chrysler's heels, General Motors Corp. is working on a rear-wheel drive platform to revive the Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird sport coupes, names brimming with nostalgia. A new Camaro or Firebird, which were discontinued in 2002, could debut by the end of the decade." Lets just hope that they don't go retro also, even though i did see a sketch that had some retro cues and it looked decent
SiDeWaYzGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #8
2w1gto

is there a different link for the first thread, it goes to the detnews site with their links, but that page says page not found.
2w1gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #9
bluebyu05

one its just a concept, chances are dodge will do what they did with the charger make a stink then come up with something else instead and call it the challeger. plus its not compitition til its out on the road and the hp thats being made with the hemi 300 like said no compitition.
bluebyu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:45 AM   #10
salbracht

New picture

Here is the cover of the February MPH magazine.

(I tried to attach just the image itself, but it wouldn't fit due to the new limits on filesizes for attachments.)

http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_335954/tm.htm

Steve
salbracht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #11
DEICHEVY

Send a message via MSN to DEICHEVY
I think it looks killer
</div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>CODE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'CODE\'>&#91;FONT=Arial&#93;C.J. HAAS&#91;/FONT&#93;</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'>
DEICHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
Chris3800

I like it!

I think it needs some kind of spoiler, I wonder if it's IRS or solid and hopefully it has a M6 option as opposed to the 5 speed auto stick....

I wonder if it doesnt have a B piller too? it looks cool IMO, I could see owning it as a second car
Chris3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:29 PM   #13
formula79
Administrator

I don't like the new charger too much. Blatently retro!
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #14
TheJizzer

I am willing to bet it does not look like that picture. I bet it is just a 2 door version of the Brick they currently have.
TheJizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #15
TheJizzer

Did anyone catch the Spy shots of the Prototype Camaro.

Very Retro.

It should have IRS though. That is a plus.
TheJizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement