What would you like-Turbo or Maggie? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Induction Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
FROROCKS

What would you like-Turbo or Maggie?

I myself, would and always have, wanted to supercharge a GTO. Had a maggie on my 2000 GTP and with alittle mod's it had almost 300 horses. For a FWD it was a load of fun and with a set of x-ice studdless snows, it handled the winter's up here with no problems. My vote--Maggie supercharger.
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
formula79
Administrator

I would go with the Maggie....it is pricey, but proven, safe, and makes a ton of power.
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
LA_Phantom

I too like the Maggie over some turbo setup. However, I debated with myself which direction I wanted to take the car. Ultimately, I decided to go the naturally aspirated route. When considering forced induction I was torn between the Maggie and the ATI Procharger. I like the looks of the Maggie more, but felt like I had a bit more flexibility in terms of the amount of prower I could ultimately produce with the Procharger. I may be wrong, but it did seem that the Maggie was making a lot of torque early on, whereas the Procharger seemed to come on a bit later as the RPM's increased. In my mind this would give me the opportunity to get a fair launch without immediately boiling off the rear tires. After all, all of the horsepower in the world does you no good if you cannot get that power to the ground.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
scot254

I would go turbo, there is that new twin from australia, I would check out how that works out. A lot of they guys with maggies say they rather have tried something diff and went turbo. Myself, as long as funds are still expendable plan on getting a top of the line Camaro when it comes out, no screwing around with bitty mods and put a turbo on it. The aftermarket should be plentiful quickly.
Idle Clip:

2011 Corvette - Torch Red - A6-- Cam, Headers, Exhaust
419/415

2013 Ford Focus - Grey Metallic
scot254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
adearmas

I have a Maggie. Reasons I got a Maggie and not any other of Forced Induction kit available are many. First and foremost it is a proven safe method of FI. The kit is easy to install for the DIY'rs. It is a turn the key and go system which includes a conservative and very reliable canned Superchips ECM tune, which is loaded thru the OBDII harness. Moreover, the Superchips stores your original OEM tune. It provides about 100 hp and slightly more in torque. Expected ET gains of about 1.2 to 1.5 secs. Torque improvement is available way down from the lower RPM range all the way up. Significant more power is availabe with custom tune and if yoiu decide to do other simple upgrades you get significantly more power gain. I have decided to stay with the supplied calibration as my gains fall well within my goals.

This type of supercharger is a proven safe method of FI which has been the superchasrger of choice in so many hundreds of thousands of production cars of all leading world manufactures. Other kits are also outstanding performers like Procharger and Vortech. As with turbos systems these are centrifugal variations of FI. All that means is that they work on a different physics principle. It is noticeable that for these methods of FI the boost is proportional to the square of the rpm, to simplify arguments. That means that if your boost is set at 8 psi at 6000 rpm then at 3000 rpm your boost will be divided by 4, i.e., only 2 psi. That is not the case with a Maggie which is a positive displacement blower. Similarily and for the same reason fuel supply will be critical for centrifugal methods of FI since boost will increase exponentially with rpm. What that means is with these systems you would have to be careful with an increased risk of running lean and melting your pistons. That will most probably require careful tunning and fuel system upgrades. That is nice if you have access to a reputed tuner but not so for your ordinary Joe's Garage.

The twin turbo systems from Aussiland are formidable systems but here is the US everything is in the works. There is nothing out there proven for everyday use. With those systems considerations are for that occasional GTo which aims for tons of power and track dedication. The Maggie is well suited for everyday street use. It is a romantic idea to have a car with a twin turbos and boast about 600 hp; but, in reality for you (who needs to ask such questions) and me who are everyday people with everyday GTO's we should realize that tons of power means tons of drivetrain issues, breakage and costly repairs. As it is the Maggie will provide more torque and power than you tire grip can handle. There is lots of power waste in spinning tires going nowhere. With a 500 hp plus car you r drivetrains is beyond tolerance as well as your suspension. Needless to say your fuel systems is not up to task while your engine with OEM bottom end is beyond tolerance.

That said, the Maggie has nothing to envy form the basic Procharger, Vortech and turbo systems available. I repeat basic over the counter kits. Now if your goal is to construct a different car alltogether with limitless budget you can contact APS in Australia and get their twin turbo systems along with your MIT engineering degree and Main Street Bank roll for your project.

Back to basics i installed the Maggie with a set it and forget it attitude. I enjoy the Maggie without any worries. I am not a dyno queen nor a track mojo. Best wishes.

Last edited by adearmas; 08-10-2006 at 11:29 AM.
adearmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
adearmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot254
I would go turbo, there is that new twin from australia, I would check out how that works out. A lot of they guys with maggies say they rather have tried something diff and went turbo. Myself, as long as funds are still expendable plan on getting a top of the line Camaro when it comes out, no screwing around with bitty mods and put a turbo on it. The aftermarket should be plentiful quickly.
Not to my knowledge there is not that many people swithching from a Maggie to a Turbo among the GTO community.

Last edited by adearmas; 08-24-2006 at 02:57 PM.
adearmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Spyral

Maggie and me..we love the goat.
Spyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement