2006 KN CAI never be CARB EXEMPT! - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Induction Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #1
andyx181x

2006 KN CAI never be CARB EXEMPT!

its been more then three years and to this date KN still hasn't carb exempted the 2006 model, so i emailed these guys my frustration and told me that most likely the emissions laws changed and it won't be exempted. i'm in a fowl mood and considering buying an 05 model and using the basis that my GTO was assembled in Oct. 2005 as making it fair. man cali sucks sometimes
andyx181x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
menace121978

agree with ya!! have to put on the stock box when its time to smog. i bought the 63 series not aware of the prob. w/ smog.
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #3
andyx181x

well technically if i install the 2005 one on my GTO, i wouldn't be breaking the law because my GTO was assembled in OCt. 2005. and all i really need is that CARB exempt sticker to prove it

Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
jbt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyx181x
well technically if i install the 2005 one on my GTO, i wouldn't be breaking the law because my GTO was assembled in OCt. 2005. and all i really need is that CARB exempt sticker to prove it
Unfortunately, that won't work, as your car is definitely an '06 model year. I emailed an acquaintance at K&N asking about this... I'll post what I find out from him.

Okay, I just heard back. Seems CARB currently has K&N's '06 GTO kit, along with about 150 other K&N parts, so it's just a waiting game. K&N feels very confident there will be no problem at all getting certified.

Last edited by jbt56; 10-08-2007 at 05:52 PM.
jbt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
LS2weber

Send a message via Yahoo to LS2weber
Ok I just noticed that you have a 05 hood on your 04? As for the smog thing Cali SUCKS!!!!! for anything on a car, I paid an extra $50.00 to K&N for the "carb exempt" on my 95 and woulden't you know it was off by 2 months I had to put the stock box on for smog witch was no big deal but K&N would not refund the money. Now on the flip side if you get pulled over and the cop decides to look the carb exempt sticker should save you a ticket.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
jbt56

Thanks for the comment on the hood... I bought the car like that, with the hood, grills, and the SAP wing, too. I think it was an end-of-the-model-year deal from Pontiac.

Another update straight from K&N- If you buy a (currently) non-certified kit from them, after it becomes certified you can contact K&N with all your info (receipt would be best, I think) as to when/where you bought it, and they'll send you the certification sticker! That sounds pretty darn cool to me!
jbt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
LS2weber

Send a message via Yahoo to LS2weber
I agree with that. I should be getting my K&N soon my woman is giving me the evil eye after getting the race tickets and the shift light turned on, witch is in Nov. Man if I could have one thing I love the SAP wing.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
andyx181x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2weber
I agree with that. I should be getting my K&N soon my woman is giving me the evil eye after getting the race tickets and the shift light turned on, witch is in Nov. Man if I could have one thing I love the SAP wing.

hey bro i think i still have the site where i bought my wing, sure the grill inserts went out fast but i think the spoiler is still out there. ill post pics of my GTO with the spoiler, it was the only thing i could get after the parts were discontinued
Old 10-08-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
andyx181x

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt56
Unfortunately, that won't work, as your car is definitely an '06 model year. I emailed an acquaintance at K&N asking about this... I'll post what I find out from him.

Okay, I just heard back. Seems CARB currently has K&N's '06 GTO kit, along with about 150 other K&N parts, so it's just a waiting game. K&N feels very confident there will be no problem at all getting certified.

dude thats a way better answer then what the guy from KN told me, he basically told me tough luck and to deal with it. well thats good to know that its in process of being evaluated, i swear this guy who was talking to me didn't really seem to put the effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement