Cam Specs and upgrades? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > GTO Racing Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
mike183

I am looking for the cam specs for the stock cam for the 2004 GTO.

I am looking for everything, lobe separation, intake centerline, gross valve lift, duration at .050 and cam timing at .006. If anyone experienced with this info could let me know so i know what number i have to work with I would greatly appreciate it.

I am going to upgrade to a larger cam and would like to match the biggest cam that i can get to flow through the stock heads. No porting needed here!

Thanks
mike183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2005, 12:40 AM   #2
Nocturn

Well I would tell you if I knew, but its not a simple as that, Simply going with the biggest lobe or seperation won't get you the most power, you have to pick a cam that will work with your heads, meaning if your going to port them EVER you need one for ported heads or its redundant and you will end up having a total of 3 cams in the end. Same if your EVER going to supercharge the car, you should change cams to get the most power.
So simply saying give me the biggest is asking for trouble, you should look for the best cam for the car you want to have when its done, do you want to loose driveability, do you care if you have to change drivetrain parts? Do you want to change your powerband, are you ever going to put headers on? etc. etc.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
EllusiveDream

The specs being asked for are for an engine dyno to see what the baseline is for the motor.

Without a baseline you can't go anywhere.

As far as needing a cam that is for ported heads and matching it to what you want someday that is absurd!

If you put a 10 second cam in a stock motor the car would run 15's instead of 13's.

There are steps that you need to take. Most people don't have 20 grand to dump in a car today and build the car that they want. Those of us that don't have a ton of cash take steps like putting the largest cam that will flow through stock heads like mike183 said. Later there will be another cam that is given the car will never be fast enough

The car will be a daily driver. Driveability is a must, the GTO will be driven to the drags and raced every weekend.

This is what we are thinking:

Step 1
Bosch +4 plugs
KN air system
Headers full exhaust
Hypertech programing
Mickey Thompson ET street radials

Step 2
Driveshaft
CV shafts

Step 3
Cam
Intake
Throttle body?

There will be more to come. The heads will not be ported. I will get this car to 12 flat without porting the heads !

Thanks
Dustin
EllusiveDream is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Nocturn

Quote:
Originally posted by EllusiveDream@May 8 2005, 08:35 AM
If you put a 10 second cam in a stock motor the car would run 15's instead of 13's.
That is exactly my point, unless you want to spend money on more than one cam, get the cam that will be put into the car in the end, otherwise your just wasting money on a temporary cam untill you can afford to get all the parts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 05-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #5
EllusiveDream

Nocturn

It is not a waste of money to make your car faster now. Buying a cam is just a step. Every racer that i have ever met has used more than one cam in there cars. It's called progression.

Going with the biggest cam that will flow through stock heads makes more sense than porting the heads. Also the LS1 heads aren't worth porting when you can go to the LS6 heads for the same money and have more potential.

Being a moderator you should know that not everyone has enough money to go big the first time.

I am also the guy that you said was full of s*** about getting a GTO to 12 flat with out head work!

Thanks
EllusiveDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
Nocturn

Im not saying you can't progress, just that its redundant and is wasting money.

I know not everyone has enough money to go all out, thus my point in that its wasting money to upgrade only to upgrade again.

Its simply logical that if your trying to save money then it makes more sence to buy the part that you won't have to replace again, instead of simply buying two different parts. Since the stock cam fits in almost all casses adaquetly...(sp?) then it doesn't make sence to me to upgrade only to upgrade again when your trying to save money.

As for the 12s, you can get either year to 12s without head work, If you can show me the post where I said it was impossible to do or said you were full of sh*t I will apologize. But I believe that is a simple misunderstanding as I have always thought it possible to get either year to 12s without head work.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Rob

The stock 04 GTO is the identical 01-02 F-Body cam. I had mine on a cam doctor and that's what it came out to be.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #8
axledog02

Thumbs up Cam Specs

Useful info here...

www(dot)smokemup(dot)com/tech/ls1(dot)php
axledog02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement