Engine Error Codes - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > LSx Engine Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
cowboyili

Send a message via AIM to cowboyili
Engine Error Codes

I had the MAP sensor and new gaskets replaced just recently because my car was running lean (as per the engine code), so I was told. The check engine light went off and came back on shortly after. I took it to AutoZone before I take it back to the shop because I want to know what the problem is before I talk to the mechanic. I have a feeling he is ****ing me around. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with these codes and what usually causes the car to throw them. Keep in mind that I just had my MAF sensor replaced.

P0101
P0172
P0175

I know these have to do with the mass air flow sensor and running rich - but what exactly could the causes be of this? I installed a brand new mass air flow sensor when I got my K&N intake also. Any input would be appreciated, as always!

2004 Automatic GTO

Thanks guys!

Last edited by cowboyili; 03-27-2009 at 01:48 PM.
cowboyili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
LS2weber

Send a message via Yahoo to LS2weber
P0101....Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0172....System too Rich (Bank 1)
P0175....System too Rich (Bank 2)
I would get a tune that should help, I have also had problems with the K&N getting oil on my MAF before in my other car but never had a problem with the GOAT.
Good luck man
Old 03-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

What type of MAF did you install? Stock or aftermarket?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
cncmasterofor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
Yep, yep! A Lot of people have had issues with the de-screened MAF.
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
cowboyili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
The only place that had a MAF in stock was AutoZone. I don't know the exact brand, I can find out though. What do you think?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

It makes me wonder if that MAF is calibrated for the GTO or if it's like a Corvette or Truck MAF. (I believe there is a slight difference between the three)

Do you still have the stock MAF?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
cowboyili

I do not have the stock MAF. I had to replace it when I got my K&N. I have been wondering myself if I got the wrong MAF. And not just that, but have also been wondering if there are bigger MAFs to let more air in.

Anyway, I was *thinking* of trying MAF cleaner? Maybe since I installed my K&N and the MAF at the same time, the new oil from the filter got on the MAF? I mean, its probably a long shot but worth the $5 and 5 minutes do you think?

Can't tell you guys how much I appreciate your input! I will look at the detail of my MAF today when I get home and find out what brand it is and etc...
Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
cowboyili

Didn't see a brand name on my MAF sensor, but I am going to double check and make sure I got the correct one tonight. I tried the MAF cleaner yesterday and no dice, light came back on in about 20 minutes. The only thing related to the brand that I saw was an "AC" with a circle on it (very small logo). I know this isn't AC Delco's typical logo, so I'm not sure if I have an AC Delco brand or an aftermarket brand. When I went and checked the error codes yesterday, there was no MAF code this time. It was only that the engine was running rich.

Might have to take it in =(
Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
cowboyili

Okay, so I took my car in to the shop and they researched the problem. What they are telling me is that the mass air flow sensor is causing the engine to throw these codes. He suggested that I return the MAF sensor to AutoZone and get a GM MAF sensor. I am always skeptical when people say its the brand - but I don't really have a choice but to try it. I'm sick of looking at this check engine light. I'm going to have my buddy, who works at GM, see if he can order me the part through them. Then that should clear up the problem, if that is in fact the cause. Just curious what anyone thought about this. Does it sound probable to you??
Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
cncmasterofor

Autozone car parts are a big fail. I wont even buy plug wires from them. Your safe if you buy the brand name that you can trust. Heck I even had one of the guys tell me that he doest blame me for not buying there parts. He even said the parts are BELOW OEM standards. And I think we all now what GM standards are now.
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
cowboyili

Awesome, I appreciate your input. Am going to take care of this Monday when the parts guys are in at GM. I will let you know if that clears up the issue. Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Yep they sold you a non-GTO specific MAF and just assumed it would work. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
cowboyili

Awesome. I swapped out the mass air flow sensor and my check engline ligh is gone now. I'm getting between 16.5 and 17 mpg - which is up from 14. AND, it's shifting much better. Thanks for all of your input, guys. I feel much better now knowing the engine doesnt have any issues. Can focus on the fun stuff now!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
byoung8

cowboyili, what brand of MAF did your buddy get you? I'm not throwing any codes, but I'm stalling and shaking real bad every now and then when coming to a complete stop. I'm 2006 A4 and the dealership is saying it's my MAF because I have a K&N intake and I've gotten a tune and reprogrammed it from stock. They could be right, but I think it's excuses because they dont know what's wrong so they're picking at the obvious. Well I dont want to pay $250 through the dealership. Would your buddy mind checking price for '06?
byoung8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
cowboyili

Hey dude, I got my MAF through GM itself. All of the MAFs I got from like autozone and stuff were metal and looked like most of the ones you find...however, the one from GM was actually just a piece of plastic and actually looked like it was cheaply made. But I guess that's the best one. My buddy is out of the state right now, but he should be back in about 2 weeks. I don't mind at all asking him to find out the price for the GM part - as long as you can wait that long. The K&N intake shouldn't affect the MAF - mine worked fine as soon as I got the correct MAF and I have not had any problems associated with the combination either. My problem was purely a crappy MAF from autozone. It seems like maybe your problem might be more related to the reprogram, but let me know if you want me to get the price for you in two weeks.

Keep me posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement