Any Kooks Owners? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Exhaust Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
formula79
Administrator

Any Kooks Owners?

I am really going back and forth on if I want to install Kooks, or SLP on my car. Both are nice pieces, but like being able to control which coating is on my headers. SLP uses Airborne I beleive.

Thanks!
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Wretched 6.0

Send a message via AIM to Wretched 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula79
I am really going back and forth on if I want to install Kooks, or SLP on my car. Both are nice pieces, but like being able to control which coating is on my headers. SLP uses Airborne I beleive.

Thanks!
I'm very happy with my Kooks, though I didn't have them coated. Added the headers, catless mids, and Pedders complete package and went from 13.7 1/4 mile to 12.7. Not all from the headers, but before the headers I was shifting in to 4th just before the line, with the headers, I was shifting just after the 1/8th mile box.

SLP has never really impressed me with the exhaust stuff, more power can be made with other makes.
Comfort - Sirius Sportster5
Handling - Completely PEDDERIZED Suspension

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wretched 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
LA_Phantom

I am sporting the Kooks long tube headers, catted midpipes, and Magnaflow catback. I love the Kooks headers. The quality of construction is excellent, as is the fitment. Additionally, the headers are tucked up nicely under the car. That is, they do not hang low, potentially scraping such things as speed bumps. I did have my Kooks headers Jet Hot coated with the Jet Hot 1300 Sterling coating. After nearly 5,000 miles, the headers look just like they did when they were installed. There has been no discoloring as a result of the heat cycles. Overall, I would definitely recommend Kooks to anyone looking for a set of long tube headers.

-K

BTW: You can pick up a set of Kooks long tube headers for $862.71, plus midpipes (catted -> $390.60, offroad -> $228.58) HERE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
Good 2 go

Kooks here also, not coated though. I love the sound you get from long tubes, like an increase in volume of the combustion cycle from each cylinder as you dip into the throttle a little bit. Had mine professional installed, so I can't speak on the ease of installation.
Good 2 go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
c5vette

You guys may want to look at American Racing, those headers are consistantly out powering the Kooks. No reason to coat them. The coatings came around before S.S. was the material of choice. The coatings helped the mild steel headers last longer. I would'nt waste the time or money on the heat retention B.S. they try and sell you.
c5vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:34 AM   #6
NinjaGTO

I have Kooks LT with hi flo cats and borla back. Love how its quiet down low and above 4000 it just screams like a drag car.
NinjaGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
bravolistik

kooks lts+ spintech catback+ hi-flo cats+ x-pipe = sick
bravolistik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
bravolistik

JetHot is not a must have but definetly a benifit, helps heat excavation, and protects alot of components under the hood... i.e. spark plug boots, cv boots, ur hands
bravolistik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
GT O yea

Borlas

Man, am I the only one running Borla's? Everyone seems to have Kooks ....you bunch of Kooks
GT O yea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
BRMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT O yea
Man, am I the only one running Borla's? Everyone seems to have Kooks ....you bunch of Kooks
Kooks is a brand of long tube headers. Borla makes cat back exhaust systems. Two different parts. There are more choices when it comes to cat back exhaust systems as opposed to headers.

I decided to go with Kooks after a lot of research. I was also able to see a few sets on some local GTO's. SLP headers are supposed to have excellent fit, but are a bit shorter than the Kooks. The collector connection to the mid pipe is also different on the Kooks. Kooks uses a ball type flange, where SLP uses a slip flange. Some one may correct me if I'm wrong on the SLP fit up.

I currently have the factory cat back exhaust system on my car, but when the time comes I'll probably go with the Maganflow system.
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
GT O yea

Awwww thus why I'm the Dumbass!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMike
Kooks is a brand of long tube headers. Borla makes cat back exhaust systems. Two different parts. There are more choices when it comes to cat back exhaust systems as opposed to headers.

I decided to go with Kooks after a lot of research. I was also able to see a few sets on some local GTO's. SLP headers are supposed to have excellent fit, but are a bit shorter than the Kooks. The collector connection to the mid pipe is also different on the Kooks. Kooks uses a ball type flange, where SLP uses a slip flange. Some one may correct me if I'm wrong on the SLP fit up.

I currently have the factory cat back exhaust system on my car, but when the time comes I'll probably go with the Maganflow system.
Thanks man, brain fart
GT O yea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
formula79
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5vette
You guys may want to look at American Racing, those headers are consistantly out powering the Kooks. No reason to coat them. The coatings came around before S.S. was the material of choice. The coatings helped the mild steel headers last longer. I would'nt waste the time or money on the heat retention B.S. they try and sell you.
Wrong on both counts
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement