Flowmaster super 40's - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Exhaust Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
Spyral

Flowmaster super 40's

Anyone have experience with these? How do they sound? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Spyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
mechanic58
Banned

NOTHING....and I repeat, NOTHING sounds better than a flowmaster. Although this is just my opinion, it SHOULD be fact. lol. Lotta people badmouth Flowmasters because somewhere, some ******* engineer proved that they actually produce less hp than some OTHER types of mufflers....I dunno about you folks, but I for one am more than willing to sacrafice ONE hp to get a more desirable exhaust note.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 05:12 PM   #3
cncmasterofor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic58
NOTHING....and I repeat, NOTHING sounds better than a flowmaster. Although this is just my opinion, it SHOULD be fact. lol. Lotta people badmouth Flowmasters because somewhere, some ******* engineer proved that they actually produce less hp than some OTHER types of mufflers....I dunno about you folks, but I for one am more than willing to sacrafice ONE hp to get a more desirable exhaust note.
Yea, what he said.
My muffler guy said he put some on a LS2 vette. And they were too loud. So I put on 40 series Deltaflow. Man do I ever love them. Not to loud but deep. Way deep. Even deeper with headers.
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
svede1212

i think this is part of the product of the boom-bass generation and FMs are boomy. just like in music a louder, lower note IMHO is not better.
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
Nocturn

I'm not a fan of flowmasters, makes everything with a V8 sound like a truck. I like a more sporty, exotic sound to my exhaust.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
andyx181x

i have a flowmaster on my jeep, its good but yea i dont think it can really do that much for cars, they are loud though if you never want to get headers on some cars. i prefer magnaflow, but most of all i been really disapointed that the moment the new mustang came out they made a full exhaust kit, but still dont have one for the GTO both LS1 or LS2
andyx181x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Spyral

What about Borla?
Spyral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
andyx181x

borla is a rip dude aint worth it, its just as loud as a flowmaster if not louder but i dont believe any gains due to the sound. its too expensive also cause its a polished exhaust inside and out, dont get me wrong corrosive wise the exhaust will last but i rather prefer magnalfow, dynomax, or JBA
Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Nocturn

Every exhaust isn't worth it on a GTO, no catback gives more than 10HP.

Borla is good but it is a premium, like corsa, and you pay for the name. But most people don't buy exhaust for simple volume, if thats the case then just run without any mufflers or cats or anything. Most people buy exhaust for the tone, which borla has a very distinct tone that alot of people seem to like.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 08-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
NEXSTAR7

dont get mad fellas, but i just put in a pair of frpp duel mode mufflers. man ,you want talk about a nice sound and when the baffles open at 3000 rpm. VERY NICE!
NEXSTAR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
andyx181x

can you send a link of what these look like?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
gtogeno

Flowmaster super 40's installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyral
Anyone have experience with these? How do they sound? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Just had Flowmaster super 40's installed on my 05 MBM M6 and let me tell you it not only sounds bad _ss, it runs 1 graduation cooler on the temp gauge and I feel more power most definitley! I was able to get rubber 1-2 and 2-3 and the car was a bit harder to keep straight as the torque difference was noticable! That's running WITH traction control.

A guy in a blue turbo GTI pull up next to me and asked me what exhaust system I was running, that it sounded great and I think he was surprised to hear that I only swapped the mufflers out.

Just remember to purchase the 3" in and 3" out if you want the deepest sweetest sound...The 2.5" muffler will sound off in a higher pitch because of the smaller dia.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3446

(I paid about 80 bucks each at a local performance shop)

Have your muffler shop remove the mufflers and cut the original pipe at the mufflers as close to each side (in/out) as possible. Then have them take the 2.5" flange on the pipe by the axle (the side of the flange that comes off with the muffler) and weld a new 3" pipe over the 2.5" stub (the 2.5" stub must be cut back). Then after bolting the flange back onto the exhaust, size up the proper length of the new 3" pipe to adust the muffler to fit under the heat shields. Have the mufflers tilted towards the axles slightly for the best clearance (even though they fit straight up, I didn't want to risk them hitting the shield), weld the new 3" pipe flange assembly to the inlet side of the muffler. On the outlet side just take the original tips and remaining pipe and weld them to the "out" side of the mufflers.

Guarranteed sweet, deep music!!!

Here's a video of another owner (female) who has the same set up... sweet music (the exhaust that is!)...turn up your volume!

http://videos.streetfire.net/recentv...3b01867c4c.htm

gtogeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #13
Nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtogeno
Just had Flowmaster super 40's installed on my 05 MBM M6 and let me tell you it not only sounds bad _ss, it runs 1 graduation cooler on the temp gauge and I feel more power most definitley! I was able to get rubber 1-2 and 2-3 and the car was a bit harder to keep straight as the torque difference was noticable! That's running WITH traction control.
I think that is more just placebo effect, most catback systems only give 8-10HP, which isn't usually noticable.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:59 PM   #14
gto n 442

I agree there isnt alot of gain from a catback system however if its in conjunction with other mods the bennifits are greater. I run flowmasters on my 442 . I hate them .they are way too boomy and annoying. Imsure the ls2 would sound somewhat different but still too loud for my taste. I run the corsa exhaust and it sounds great . I think flowmaster has a nice product but it isnt for everyone. I would use fm again just not the 40s.
gto n 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
andyx181x

wow you did your video really well i like it, the flowmasters sound real decent on the GTO, not too loud, but it sounds hard, does it drone while your driving? or does it balance out when you finally at cruising speed, i got a flowmaster on my jeep and i like it a lot, congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement