JBA midpipes w/no cats - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Exhaust Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 AM   #1
The Judge

JBA midpipes w/no cats

I am looking into purchasing some JBA midpipes for my 06. We don't have emissions testing in Oklahoma so I am thinking of going with no cats. My question is, what sort of O2 sensor issues if any can I expect? Is there an easy solution? Should I just pay the extra dough to get the high flow cat version? Any help would be great.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
LA_Phantom

When you mention JBA, I immediately think of shorty headers. I do not have any experience shorties, but I can tell you what I experienced with my long tube headers. I have a set of Kooks long tube headers installed on my GTO. I decided to be Mr. Good Citizen and went with the catted midpipes. After having the headers/midpipes installed for about two months, I got a "service engine soon" light. I had the error code scanned and found that it was associated with the passenger-side rear O2 sensor. Since the rear O2 sensor only indicates the presence of a catalytic converter, I had the rear O2 sensors turned off via a dyno tune. Since then, I have had no problem with the setup or any "service engine soon" light. Earlier this month I had the car inspected and passed without any problem.

I guess the way I see it, if you go with catless or not, you may want to have the rear O2 sensors turned off. That is, unless you do not mind a little annoying light in your gauge cluster.

My recommendation is that, if you can get the "offroad" midpipes for less money, you ought to consider going catless. Whether you have cats or not, it is possible that you will have the same problem, which really isn't a problem. The "service engine soon" light will not harm the goat. Subsequently, you can leave it as is, or have it turned off at some later date...at your leisure. Save your money on the midpipes and put it toward another mod. Hope this helps.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by LA_Phantom; 12-28-2006 at 06:32 PM.
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #3
Good 2 go

Is there a reason you want mid-pipes instead of long tubes?
Good 2 go is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
The Judge

I had read that the GTO's stock manifold's had decent flow, and that unless you were willing pay a premium for good headers, it wasn't necessary to replace them. Not to say that I wouldn't eventually replace them, I am just looking for an inexpensive way to help the exhaust flow as well as get a better sound. I can get the mid-pipes for under $300 and I had planned on getting some better flowing mufflers.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
LA_Phantom

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the posts you read were referring to the stock catback. I cannot recall having read anything regarding the flow characteristics of the stock exhaust manifold.

If you can get away with long tube headers (i.e., emmisions, sound, cost, etc), I think that you would be happier with them than a set of shorties...relative to performance and, more than likely, sound.

-K

|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement