cats - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Exhaust Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
NEXSTAR7

cats

i had headers and high flow cat installed 2 years ago. not going to mention who's. what would make the cats fail so fast after 2 yrs? i put in some local muffler shop high flow cats and 3 months later one went out. could it be the tune?
Lingenfelter cai , Vararam throttle body spacer, V-Max ported and polished Throttle body. SLP long tube headers, high flow cats, x pipe, Flowmaster 40's mufflers, Quick time performance exhaust cutouts. Livernoise stage 2 heads and stage 2 comp cam , Pedders suspension upgrade. Dyno to 434 rwhp.
NEXSTAR7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
scot254

If you're way too rich they'll fail sooner. I have a predator (only used for scanning now) and have never been a fan. Dyno tune or wideband and HP tuners is the way to go. Have you ever had your AFR monitored?
Idle Clip:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Corvette - Torch Red - A6-- Cam, Headers, Exhaust
419/415

2013 Ford Focus - Grey Metallic
scot254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
NEXSTAR7

no never did. i guess i have to splurge again. thanks
Lingenfelter cai , Vararam throttle body spacer, V-Max ported and polished Throttle body. SLP long tube headers, high flow cats, x pipe, Flowmaster 40's mufflers, Quick time performance exhaust cutouts. Livernoise stage 2 heads and stage 2 comp cam , Pedders suspension upgrade. Dyno to 434 rwhp.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
fastcop

I had my right cat fail on me a little after my first year of ownership, had to turn it back over to the dealership for a few. I was never offered an explanation... was just glad it was covered under warranty.

2005 Yellow Jacket M6
fastcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
NEXSTAR7

im looking for a good tuner in new york that does tuning on weekends. i'lll get her tuned then take out the cats and then replace them with high flow cats.thanks guys
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #6
scot254

You want to replace the cats first then get it tuned. Random Techs aren't that expensive and what many people run.
Idle Clip:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

419/415

Old 09-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
NEXSTAR7

do you think the cut outs are affecting it also? i would hate to take them out. also can the car be tuned for when im running the car normal and then with the cut outs open?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
scot254

The tune will be made for the cutouts closed, but it'll will work either way on the steet, you can open them up. You just want the new cats because they will be putting a sniffer in your exhaust pipe and they'll be able to calibrate the AFR for a car with cats and get a static reading. If you open the cutouts after you should have near the same AFR on the motor, but be spitting out more fuel before the cats.
Idle Clip:

419/415

Old 09-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
NEXSTAR7

thanks scot254. you helped alot. i'll you know how it goes. im trying to get a tuner for the weekend but there hard to come by.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
NEXSTAR7

well i got the slp high flow cats and got he car tuned. he said it was running a little rich. he did a couple of pulls and got 352.84. after a coulple adjustments he got at the end of the dyno 366.34 on power and 366.94 on torque. is that good for the mods i have? thanks again for the help. also the with the cutouts open i got 368 hp. he said i could do mid 12's. i think thats a little to much. what do you think?

Last edited by NEXSTAR7; 09-25-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement