Heat shield or to not heat shield? - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Induction Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
cowboyili

Send a message via AIM to cowboyili
Heat shield or to not heat shield?

I have an '06, and wanted to pick up the K&N CAI soon. I had the CAI on my '04 GTO (RIP) - but am wondering the use of the heat shield for the '06. Doesn't the heat shield defeat the purpose of the ram air hood?? Just curious what you thought. It seems to me if it's getting more air inducted in the engine bay - I'd want to leave off the heat shield.
cowboyili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

The scoops are closed unless you've unplugged them. I'd venture to say the air is still cooler from the fender area than the engine area even with the scoops opened up.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
cowboyili

This certainly will require me to look into it more. I have seen aftermarket ram air hoods that are functional and drop the air right over the air box location. I just don't want to put a new hood on it. Hmm..

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated...as always.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
cncmasterofor

I would use the heat shield. It gets hot down under.
The hood scoops are almost non functional. With the plugs in it allows the hot air to escape, yet not let water in. With the plugs out. It just gets everything dirty real fast.
You could change out the hood. But for the $ is it really worth it?
cncmasterofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
cowboyili

I hear ya. I did take the plugs out two days ago and so far haven't noticed a significant difference. Back in they go.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
svede1212

The heat shield is better than nothing at all altho the real question is where the source air is coming from. I know that the only people I know that get good results with a corner engine bay type intake run with the headlight out also.

Go:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SD tune - HPT w/LC-1 - SLP LTs - FTI SS HT Cam - Stiffy - SLP UD - 243 Heads - Custom Exhaust - NW 102 TB - FAST 102 - 3.91s w/Spring Kit - DiffTech DS - Fjord 42# Green Tops - Diamond Stg 3 clutch

Handling: GMM Rip Shift - Harrop Cover - Koni's - Hotchkis - Lovells springs - SuperPro - Energy Susp - Pedders - '05 Brakes - 1" widened rear wheels
Show: Tints 55% Fronts, 15% Rear & Rear Sides - '06 Black Tails
svede1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

My IAT's at the track today in the staging lanes were ranging anywhere from 135 to 150 degrees. And the result of course was slower times. Of course it was about 90 degrees with humidity today as well. Makes a guy want to hack a hole in his hood and run a tube out about 2 feet above it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement