IAT Relocation Mod - The Final Chapter - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Tech > Induction Tech

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
LA_Phantom

IAT Relocation Mod - The Final Chapter

During the last episode our hero had reassembled the goat's K&N Air Charger, after having drilled a hole in the air filter barrier and inserted the new IAT sensor/Omega Engineering thermistor combination...only to find out that the connectors on the Caspers Electronics MAF/IAT Breakout wiring harness were not suitable for the intended application.

Present Day:
I received the new MAF/IAT Breakout and imediately saw that the connectors were different relative to the original breakout. The part number for the new breakout was the same as the original breakout, which leads me to believe that the '05/'06 GTO's came with two slightly different MAF wiring harness connectors.

In any event, because the major brunt of the work had been completed previously, it only took 30 seconds or so to plug in the new breakout this morning. In the afternoon I took the car out for a spin. What I noticed does not make sense to me. Said in another way, I do not completely understand what is happening with the car in terms of the engine temperature, not inlet air temperature, indicator in the gauge cluster. At first I did not think the engine temperature indicator was working because it sat on "Cold" for an abnormally long period. Eventually the gauge registered what I am used to seeing and I figured I had everything connected properly.

I guess my question is: Was the aforementioned observation a figment of my imagination, or was it real? If it was real, why would relocating the IAT impact the rate at which the engine gets up to operating temperature?

If anyone knows the answer, or can theorize an answer, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any insight that may be shared.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Gonna_Try_One

The 05's and 06's use the same MAF, same connector. It appears that Casper wired up some of their harnesses using the wrong GM connector. That connector that you showed is used as an inline harness connector, not a sensor connector. Big oops on their part.

Not quite sure why your temp guage took so long to register. I see you are running a 160* stat, I have one installed also, and it will take a little longer on a cool morning to come up to temp. But, not too long. The IAT has no effect on engine temp readings. Hope it was just a system glitch.
Gonna_Try_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna_Try_One
The 05's and 06's use the same MAF, same connector. It appears that Casper wired up some of their harnesses using the wrong GM connector. That connector that you showed is used as an inline harness connector, not a sensor connector. Big oops on their part.

Not quite sure why your temp guage took so long to register. I see you are running a 160* stat, I have one installed also, and it will take a little longer on a cool morning to come up to temp. But, not too long. The IAT has no effect on engine temp readings. Hope it was just a system glitch.
I was trying to give Caspers Electronics the benefit of the doubt. I did not drive the goat today because I thought it might rain. Tomorrow I will pay close attention to what happens with the car in terms of the length of time that is required to get up to operating temperature.

Gonna_Try_One, who would you recommend for a heads/cam swap, and subsequent tune, in the Baton Rouge area?

-K

|
|

Old 11-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Gonna_Try_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Phantom
who would you recommend for a heads/cam swap, and subsequent tune, in the Baton Rouge area?

-K
Really don't have much of a choice to chose from. You really only got Thunder Racing (who I've had to fix some of their boo boo's in the past), or Futral in Walker who I'm not that familiar with. There's a couple of places that mess with imports, but they are not worth mentioning cause they're not going to know diddly squat about an LS1-2.

I wish I had a shop (other than work) to do some of this stuff in, and that my tuning skills were more polished. I have the HPtuners program for my '04', but really need to spend more time with it.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna_Try_One
Really don't have much of a choice to chose from. You really only got Thunder Racing (who I've had to fix some of their boo boo's in the past), or Futral in Walker who I'm not that familiar with. There's a couple of places that mess with imports, but they are not worth mentioning cause they're not going to know diddly squat about an LS1-2.

I wish I had a shop (other than work) to do some of this stuff in, and that my tuning skills were more polished. I have the HPtuners program for my '04', but really need to spend more time with it.
Yeah, you and I have had a PM discussion regarding Thunder Racing in the past. I am considering going with Futral Motorsports. From what I have gathered, Allan Futral knows his stuff regarding building a motor. Additionally, I have heard good things about his tuning prowess.

I have gone back and forth with Allan, via email, regarding his recommendations for a heads/cam swap. His recommendation is: Dart 225 heads with a Futral Motorsports F13-112 cam (230"/232" .595"/.585" 112LSA). At this point I am still undecided.

I was kind of hoping that you were going to reply by telling me that you could do the work.

-K

|
|
Old 11-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #6
formula79
Administrator

Hrrmmm...is this even worth the hassle?
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
Gonna_Try_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Phantom
I was kind of hoping that you were going to reply by telling me that you could do the work.

-K
I would have loved to have given you that answer, unfortunately I need the space to do it. That possibility may happen in the next year though, all is not lost.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
Gonna_Try_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula79
What?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula79
I am feeling a little slow this evening. What do you mean?

-K

|
|
Old 11-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
gto n 442

i think he means is the relocation and change over of the temp probe really worth the effort
gto n 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:20 PM   #11
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto n 442
i think he means is the relocation and change over of the temp probe really worth the effort
Based on my reading, it is very much worth it in terms of mitigating issues associated with heat soak. I do not have a method to compare inlet air temperatures before and after the mod, but there was an individual who did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris
The Results

Anyway, since the car was sitting in the garage for a while and the motor was cool, I didn't think the data would be correct if I started taking reading then, so I went for a 10 min drive... till the motor got warm then started taking logs.

First log: MAF/IAT Stock
Highest temp 129 deg
Lowest temp 108 deg

Second log: Relocated IAT
Highest temp 99 deg
lowest temp 79 deg

Local temps 15 mins after logs were taken = 78 °F

In conclusion this mod works great. Intake temp readings are around 25 degrees lower than the stock readings. Not quit sure if the Omega sensor is needed, but what the hell it was just another $15. The rate of temp changes were a lot faster than stock. I noticed that it took about 3 secs for the temps to drop from 99 to 81 with the Omega. If you had the stock Thermistor it would probably take a few more seconds.

-K

|
|
Old 11-04-2006, 11:09 PM   #12
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

I've decided for starters I'm going to get a spare sensor and the Omega thermistor and replace the stock IAT sensor to start. Then if I want I'll take it the next step and relocate the sensor.

With the temps as cool as they have been recently I'm not in a hurry is the thing.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #13
mechanic58
Banned

Um...remove your IAT and duct-tape it to the low side line on your A/C compressor. That should make a HUGE difference. ;-)
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #14
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic58
Um...remove your IAT and duct-tape it to the low side line on your A/C compressor. That should make a HUGE difference. ;-)
Funny you should mention this because I was just thinking about routing my A/C ductwork to discharge into the area in which I draw in air for the engine.

-K

|
|
Old 11-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #15
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Quote:
Or I could find a resistor that locks in the IAT reading to absolute zero.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement