A Breath of Fresh Air - Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum
NewAge GTO Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forums: Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Discussion > NewAgeGTO Lounge

Newagegto.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
LA_Phantom

A Breath of Fresh Air

Earlier this year I had my car tuned by some folks in Baton Rouge. I was very pleased with the results in the sense that the car was noticeably faster. Then, I had the car tuned again, this time in Florida by Jeremy Formato, after having had the intake manifold ported. Again, I could tell a big difference by way of my seat of the pants dyno. The car really ran strong, even in the summer weather commonly experienced here in South Louisiana.

Today was the first cool day, low 60's ˚F, that I have driven the goat since having had it tuned. Let me just say, "Holy crap!" The cooler, more dense air impacted the performance of the car to such a degree that it was almost incredulous.

During the last tuning session a baseline dyno pull was made. The results of this pull were 352 Hp / 349 Tq. When all was said and done, we were looking at 374 Hp / 367 Tq after three back-to-back dyno pulls. There was no question that the car was hot when this final pull was made. With a 22 Hp, and 18 Tq, increase it is easy to imagine that this was able to be felt.

Now don't take this the wrong way, I don't think that I picked up another 22 Hp because of the cool air. However, the difference I felt was reminiscent of the tuning gains. Normally, when I roll into the loud pedal, the rear tires will spin momentarily before hooking up and propelling the goat forward very quickly. Today was different in the sense that the when I stepped on the accelerator, I smoked the rear tires instead of experiencing the momentary wheel spin to which I am accustomed.

As an aside to the whole affair, I am going to have to get more rubber under the rear of my car and/or drag radials if I am going to get better traction. Also, because of the way the car snapped my head back when I accelerated, and the fact that the tires were sufficiently heated, I do not feel that the slightly cooler road adversely impacted my traction.

It certainly is nice to get a breath of fresh, cool air.

-K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
LA_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Yep, we've had cooler weather for the last few days and it's like hitting a small shot of nitrous in the cool dry air.

I just dread what inevitably comes next with the cool air.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
FROROCKS

Yes, I hear both of ya. In with the cooler air, out comes the beast in our LS2 Goats! I've been really enjoying these last few days. It's like having a different car at times. Driving to work and hitting the gas like normal around the same corner and oopps, you do alittle kickout, and taking off at a light and spin them alittle more than usual, w/o trying. But like double OO said, next comes the white stuff and I'll have to put my little GTO away for winter .
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbit Orange
I just dread what inevitably comes next with the cool air.
That is not something I have to worry about in my neck of the woods. Do you drive the goat throughout the winter, or does she make her way to storage? If you drive her, do you swap out the tires?

-K

|
|
Old 10-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROROCKS
But like double OO said, next comes the white stuff and I'll have to put my little GTO away for winter .
It seems there are parts of the country getting the white stuff rather early this year. I recenty had a friend of mine move to Salt Lake City. My understanding is that they got the first snow of the season in September.

For those of you who have to contend with snow, and store your goats, how many months do you actually get to drive your pride and joy (I am referring to your car... )?

-K

|
|
Old 10-14-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
05_GTO

Can't wait for it to start getting cooler here.
05_GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
mechanic58
Banned

Mine hardly ever sees the light of day during the winter. It still only has 7,900 miles on it and it's an '04. lol.
mechanic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
Orbit Orange
Super Moderator

Quote:
That is not something I have to worry about in my neck of the woods. Do you drive the goat throughout the winter, or does she make her way to storage? If you drive her, do you swap out the tires?
Well, yes and no.

We happened to have one of the mildest winters on record last year, which led to very little snow and I could drive the Goat on all but a couple of snows.

Problem is I switched the stock rubber out for Summer only rubber. I don't plan on snow tires either. I'll just run it until we get enough snow and then chance it in my beater El Camino. I'm only 4 miles from work anyway with a mostly rural drive so my situation isn't as bad as some drivers might have.

Personally I'm into the global warming and milder winters recently.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
K&N CAI, JBA shorty headers & catted mids, SLP LM1, Pred. tuner, ported stock TB and MAF ends, Derale trans pan cooler, 180 Tstat, TB coolant bypass, Hankook Ventus V12's, King 0" drop rear springs, drag bags, Monroe Sensa-Trac rear shocks, SLP rear sway bar w/ end link bushings, Lovell's RR bushings, BMR skidplate, tow brace delete kit, DEPO black tail lamps, SCSS pod w/Aeroforce gauge

Orbit Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_GTO
Can't wait for it to start getting cooler here.
Does it ever get cool there? Seriously, what are the Winters like in your neck of the woods?

-K

|
|
Old 10-14-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic58
Mine hardly ever sees the light of day during the winter. It still only has 7,900 miles on it and it's an '04. lol.
How long have you had your car, Matt? I am approaching my 1-year anniversary (~1 month away), and I just broke 7,000 miles yesterday. Two thousand or so of those miles was accrued during my trip to Florida.

The funny thing was that BRMike stopped by to see me at work. When he was leaving we went out to his car and he noted that he was nearly at 30k miles. I knew I was close to 7k miles, but did not know how close until I got into the car to go home. That is when I noted that I was at 6,999 miles.

As an aside, let it be known that BRMike has an immaculate ride. Whenever the new Camaro becomes available and BRMike decides to down grade from his GTO, his '04 IBM GTO will be a great car for anyone who is in the market for a goat.

-K

|
|
Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
05_GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Phantom
Does it ever get cool there? Seriously, what are the Winters like in your neck of the woods?

-K
For this time of the year it's actually very cool out compared to the last few years. It's still 90ish in the day time but at night time it's been in the mid-low 70's, man it feels good.

Last year we only had 2 weeks of winter (cold day/night). Only snowed one time for a few hours where we usually get snow and melted in the same day on top of that. It's been very hot here lately, I hope this year we will have a winter and some snow up in the mountains.
05_GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
FROROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Phantom
For those of you who have to contend with snow, and store your goats, how many months do you actually get to drive your pride and joy (I am referring to your car... )?

-K
Between 8 and 9 months, depends if its a heavy or lite winter. And will not chance it in the snow, just to many really bad drivers out there! Not going to hurt MY baby.
SAP GRILL INSERTS AND SPOILER/TSW THRUXTONS STAGGERED 18" W/NITTO NTO5/DEPO TAIL LIGHTS
1 OF 228
"Fear God and Dreadnought" -Adm. Jackie Fischer...

FROROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Ashley2dance

Holy Long Post Batman!!!

Cliff notes please...
Ashley2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
formula79
Administrator

This is my first fall with the 06 so I I have yet to see a difference. MY GP runs much better with the cool air though!
formula79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #15
LA_Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2dance
Holy Long Post Batman!!!

Cliff notes please...
Sometimes I have a hard time getting to the point. Let me try...

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) Version:
Because of the cool weather my goat was hauling a$$.

-K

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement